What is this plant called?

Page 2 of 2
On 5/5/2013 2:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Post in rec.gardens. I'm sure someone there will know.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com formulated the question :

Looks like Bougainvillea to me. comes in a variety of purple redish colours.
http://to.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Starr_030418-0060_Bougainvillea_spectabilis.jpg
--
John G

Other than the color of the flower, I don't see anything in your pic that is similar to the plant pic given. The leaves are radically different, the stamen in the given plant is single, the Bougainvillea has a triple stamen that also looks different, etc Where the plant is would sure help rule out a lot of plants too.
On 5/5/2013 2:42 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sure looks like a climbing rose...are the leaves kind of jagged? You can buy climbing roses anywhere, but that includes hundreds of varieties and colors. I would knock on the door and ask the owner about it, unless you just want a "red rose". It sure ain't bouganvillea....it is early for roses to bloom in midwest....

The OP's IP address puts him in Irvine, California.
" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

It's a rose of some type.

*It looks like it came from a rose family. Check out FarmerSeed.com and eBurgess.com

My wife, a Purdue University-certified Master Gardener, says it's "the old-fashioned bush type of rose -- it probably smells nice and has plenty of thorns."
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It's an azalea.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
replying to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com , passerby wrote:

Looks like just a rose bush. I would venture a guess it's the so called "knockout roses" that have become popular in the last couple of years. Actually, I think it's a brand name and/or a trademark but won't be long before we'll call any disease resistant rose "knockout rose". These are supposedly indestructible and can withstand anything Mother Nature (or a newb gardener) can throw at them. I have two of these and I think I almost succeeded to kill one ;) we'll see if it recovers this summer.
I don't know if HD sells it but every local nursery worth its name does. Perhaps it makes sense stepping outside of a big box store and supporting a local business.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Looks like what they are calling "Knockout" Roses, bloom prolifically and are very heat tolerant
http://www.perennialfarm.com/whatdowegrow/knockoutroses.html

Yes It does appear to be knockout roses. Thank you everyone for your input. Where can I buy them in the irvine ca area?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nurseries+in+irvine+ca
On 5/6/2013 1:48 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

In Indiana, they are a major display item...never heard of them until I started shopping for garden plants. I bought one rose this year, just for filling space in shrub/flower beds....I hope to concentrate by Japanese beetle battle in the vegetable garden :o) I've grown some nice roses if you ignore the holes in petals from JB. :o(