What is this part call?

I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in length (no need to be exact).

I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match. The have threaded rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version of this. I tried to search online but cannot find it since I don't know what it's call.

Application - I need to attach a custom mail box to a metal door (hollow in middle about 1 5/8 space). There are 1/4" bolts from inside and outside (I don't want to use nuts on one side), I found some hexagonal shaped nut couplers but those are too big diameter wise, I am trying to find some that will not require me to drill a hole bigger than the head of the bolts themselves. I remember seeing these parts used in door locks, ceiling fan rod extensions etc...

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

That would be a coupling nut...

--

Reply to
dpb

is your friend...

<kjpro

Why not make the bolts bigger and use a shorter coupling nut, like a regular nut?

Ugh. But those have too large a diameter. Or, but their diameter is too big.

Reply to
mm

no sweat for a local small machine shop:)

Reply to
hallerb

I missed the original post, so this may be already answered

In some industries the item is called a "stand-off"

Take a look at

A really good local hardware store (not HD or Lowes) might carry them.

or an electronics supply house

Reply to
Reed

It&#39;s called a coupling nut.

Look harder. :-) Or try Ace Hardware.

Yes, they do, both Lowes and HD. You just haven&#39;t found them yet -- which is kinda surprising, since they keep them on the same rack where they have the threaded rod.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Was at Lowe&#39;s the other day for just this purpose. The coupling nuts were with the screws, nuts and bolts at the normal display; the threaded rod was a few aisles over. They didn&#39;t have the 8-32 coupling nuts I wanted, so I went to Sears Hardware. Couldn&#39;t find coupling nuts, but did find threaded aluminum spacers which were good enough. They didn&#39;t have the threaded rod, but by the threaded rod I finally found the coupling nuts, and they didn&#39;t have the size I needed. So back to Lowe&#39;s with the spacers in hand to buy the threaded rod.

The spacers were cylindrical sleeves with threaded insides. The coupling nuts were hexagonal in cross section.

Reply to
clifto