What is this part call?

I need a part that will act as a spacer but it needs to be threaded on the inside to take a 1/4" bolt on both ends. It needs to be about 1 5/8 in length (no need to be exact).
I searched in Lowes and HD and couldn't find a match. The have threaded rods in varying lengths and sizes but they don't have the "female" version of this. I tried to search online but cannot find it since I don't know what it's call.
Application - I need to attach a custom mail box to a metal door (hollow in middle about 1 5/8 space). There are 1/4" bolts from inside and outside (I don't want to use nuts on one side), I found some hexagonal shaped nut couplers but those are too big diameter wise, I am trying to find some that will not require me to drill a hole bigger than the head of the bolts themselves. I remember seeing these parts used in door locks, ceiling fan rod extensions etc...
Thanks,
MC
MiamiCuse wrote:

That would be a coupling nut...

in
(I
that
www.google.com is your friend...
http://www.google.com/products?q=1/4%22+spacer&hl=en&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct =title
http://www.metalgrip.com/search.html?category_code=SPAC&sell_code=RSA50&item _numberP2014RSA

Why not make the bolts bigger and use a shorter coupling nut, like a regular nut?

Ugh. But those have too large a diameter. Or, but their diameter is too big.
no sweat for a local small machine shop:)
mm wrote:

I missed the original post, so this may be already answered
In some industries the item is called a "stand-off"
Take a look at http://www.fascomp.com/html/fsh1-2.html
A really good local hardware store (not HD or Lowes) might carry them.
or an electronics supply house

It's called a coupling nut.

Look harder. :-) Or try Ace Hardware.

Yes, they do, both Lowes and HD. You just haven't found them yet -- which is kinda surprising, since they keep them on the same rack where they have the threaded rod.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Was at Lowe's the other day for just this purpose. The coupling nuts were with the screws, nuts and bolts at the normal display; the threaded rod was a few aisles over. They didn't have the 8-32 coupling nuts I wanted, so I went to Sears Hardware. Couldn't find coupling nuts, but did find threaded aluminum spacers which were good enough. They didn't have the threaded rod, but by the threaded rod I finally found the coupling nuts, and they didn't have the size I needed. So back to Lowe's with the spacers in hand to buy the threaded rod.
The spacers were cylindrical sleeves with threaded insides. The coupling nuts were hexagonal in cross section.
--
Postulate a group whose intent is to destroy the United States from within
via anarchy and bankruptcy. The actions of the United States Congress are