What is this item called

I have a chest at the foot of my bed and would like to install a gadget that would lock the lid in place when its opened. Loews hardware help was helpless, even though i explained what i wanted. They kept asking me what is it called.

Reply to
Boothbay

Rocklers has many lid supports:

Dennis

Reply to
DT

Try *lid support*

hvcrmedic

Reply to
RP

I guess it depends on what sort of mechanism you use to hold the lid up when the chest is open. I did a search, and the link below describes a chest that uses a piston mechanism to achieve this result. They call what they use "gas ram struts" (probably somewhat similar to the piston on a storm door).

Rob NE PA USA

Reply to
Rob

Try googling "locking lid support".

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Mine's called a stick. Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937 Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R (soon to be mine, I hope)

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

James "Cubby" Culbertson

I know that I've seen them in Lowes. There is the more sturdy one as posted by "Cubby" and there is also the type that you would see on card table legs - they lock at full estension and you have to 'break' the lock to close. Chek in the hardware section and if that fails go to a good Mom & Pop store - they'll know what you mean!

Reply to
C & M

Reply to
nospambob

has lid supports listed in their catalog. P/n aj-02290301 (left) $3.59, p/n aj02290330 (right) $3.59, also p/n aj-02012447 $16.99--They are a distributor of all kinds of hardware for furniture restorations.

Reply to
john