What is this item called

I have a chest at the foot of my bed and would like to install a gadget that would lock the lid in place when its opened. Loews hardware help was helpless, even though i explained what i wanted. They kept asking me what is it called.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

Rocklers has many lid supports:
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID 36
Dennis
Boothbay wrote:

Try *lid support*
hvcrmedic
Boothbay wrote:

I guess it depends on what sort of mechanism you use to hold the lid up when the chest is open. I did a search, and the link below describes a chest that uses a piston mechanism to achieve this result. They call what they use "gas ram struts" (probably somewhat similar to the piston on a storm door).
    http://www.teakwickerandmore.com/prods/Barlow-Tyrie/3SC15-Storage-Chest/Barlow-Tyrie/0C347/0PBT1076.htm
Rob NE PA USA

Try googling "locking lid support".
djb
--
"I don\'t like dealing with people. I\'d rather be back working in Human
Resources."
"Boothbay" <> wrote in message >I have a chest at the foot of my bed and would like to install a gadget> that would lock the lid in place when its opened. Loews hardware help> was helpless, even though i explained what i wanted. They kept asking> me what is it called.
Mine's called a stick. Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937 Kawasaki '01 Ninja 500R (soon to be mine, I hope)
"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

by "Cubby" and there is also the type that you would see on card table legs - they lock at full estension and you have to 'break' the lock to close. Chek in the hardware section and if that fails go to a good Mom & Pop store - they'll know what you mean!
Visit www.wwhardware.com that has a HUGE selection of stuff.

www.vandykes.com has lid supports listed in their catalog. P/n aj-02290301 (left) $3.59, p/n aj02290330 (right) $3.59, also p/n aj-02012447 $16.99--They are a distributor of all kinds of hardware for furniture restorations.