What is this hand tool? Link to photo within.

Page 1 of 2
I found this somewhere, probably in a residential street. What is this? The metal _hook_ is steel and swivels VERY freely in the plastic handle.
http://www.fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=Muse&category=Muse_JPGs&file=Tool.jpg
Dan
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 5:29 pm, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Rebar tie hook.
Rebar is tied together using ready-made wires w/ a small loop at each end. Put the wire around the joint, put the hook in the two loops and twist...
✖
Is this a test? Or do you not know?
This tool is used to twist the tie wires used to tie rebar together. The tie wires come with loops on each end, they are wrapped around the intersection of two re-bars, then the tool inserted in the loops and spun with a twist of the wrist.
I'll see if i can find a pic of the operation of said tool.
steve

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:51:51 -0600, "Steve Barker"
:Is this a test? Or do you not know? : :This tool is used to twist the tie wires used to tie rebar together. The :tie wires come with loops on each end, they are wrapped around the :intersection of two re-bars, then the tool inserted in the loops and spun :with a twist of the wrist. : :I'll see if i can find a pic of the operation of said tool. : :steve
That's cool, no I can envision it. Thanks. Makes total sense, and no, I wasn't putting you on, I didn't have a clue. I asked a friend who I think now should have known. He's owned two houses and done a ton of work on each, including doing a foundation job on one, including pouring concrete for a basement. He told me he loves to work with concrete, too. I guess he did his ties without the benefit of this tool.
Dan : :
: :>I found this somewhere, probably in a residential street. What is this? :> The metal _hook_ is steel and swivels VERY freely in the plastic handle.:> :>
http://www.fox302.com/index.pl?s=vf&user=Muse&category=Muse_JPGs&file=Tool.jpg
:> :> Dan :
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:13:50 -0800, Dan Musicant ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) wrote:

Want to Fix Something?
http://www.manuals4you.com
http://www.justmanuals.com Instant download after purchase
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:51:51 -0600, "Steve Barker"

I thought it was a cotter pin remover but you're probably right. It could double as a cotter pin removal tool though, at least for the larger pins.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

The loose swivel handle is the giveaway for the intended use...while the hook works to grab the cotter, it would be a pita because of that for the use other than simply a straight pull; the levering action doesn't work well at all w/ one of these puppies.
Add pictures here
✖

OK, I guess the picture dont show the swivel part of it, but the hook is similar to a cotter pin puller, but from the looks of it, probably thicker.
Add pictures here
✖

I've seen re-bar mentioned a couple of times, but it was also used to close bags with a wire tie. Feed bags, seed bags, etc.
Add pictures here
✖

called a pigtail for obvious reasons, it is used to twist preshaped wires around whatever. The wires can be bought in bundles, are about three inches or so long, and have a loop on each end. They work very well, and are faster and easier than rodbuster pliers, although they won't do anything but the premade pieces of wire.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Looks like a tool to unlock vinal sideing.

Add pictures here
✖
ok, here's a pic of the ties:
http://www.americanwiretie.com/wireties.htm
Here's one way they come packaged:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mat/988074098.html
Hmmmmm. can't seem to find a pic of one of those tools actually being used.
steve

Add pictures here
✖
wrote: ...

... I don't need no steenkin' pitchure... :)
Spent _FAR_ too much time over several summers at the bottom of trench and elsewhere becoming all too familiar w/ their being used... : ( ( :) ) --
Add pictures here
✖
possibly a reamer?

Add pictures here
✖
Jewish nose pick?
Add pictures here
✖

For relief of constipation.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, no, no, it's a hemorrhoid remover. You hook, twist and yank it out.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ouch!
--
Consider the daffodil. And while you\'re doing that,
I\'ll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey

Well said. For a polack.
Add pictures here
✖
Rose wrote:

I turn off my Googlegroup filters for one day....
I'll drop a quick line to snipped-for-privacy@telus.net for ya. 75.158.2.95 CA    CANADA BRITISH COLUMBIA BURNABY TELUS COMMUNICATIONS INC