What is this foil tape for???

A neighbor is cleaning out some stuff the former owner of her house left be hind several years ago. Included is a roll of 2 1/4" wide highly polished aluminum?? tape. The code on the box is 4024603-1. The same code is on th e spool itself. A date handwritten on the box is 7/24/76. Googling the par t number seems to indicate it is some sort of recording tape, but I can't f igure out what kind of recorder it it would go on.

Reel to reel metal tapes of that era were no wider than 1/2", if my memory serves me correctly. This tape seems to take a permanentcrease/depression if you push on the surface. It almost looks like the tape in an old lie de tector machine, but those used regular pens from what I have seen on TV(nev er had one myself).

Anyone have any ideas what it was used for, and what I could do with it (po lite comments only please).

Reply to
hrhofmann

Tapes used on ducts is metalized. Someone on TV pointed out that duct tape is not used for these hot ducts.

Reply to
Frank

or:

willshak

It's probably duct tape, for heating and AC systems.

Offer it on Ebay, starting bid what you think shipping might be, and list "free shipping". It's not really free, but we all play the game.

. Christ> A neighbor is cleaning out some stuff the former

owner of her house left behind several years ago. Included is a roll of 2 1/4" wide highly polished aluminum?? tape. The code on the box is 4024603-1. The same code is on the spool itself. A date hand written on the box is 7/24/76. Googling the part number seems to indicate it is some sort of recording tape, but I can't figure out what kind of recorder it it would go on.

than 1/2", if my memory serves me correctly. This tape seems to take a permanentcrease/depression if you push on the surface. It almost looks like the tape in an old lie detector machine, but those used regular pens from what I have seen on TV(never had one myself).

I could do with it (polite comments only please).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes Bing will reply with an item from Helm. Is it recording tape? I doubt it. Helm can be reached at 419.893.4356 (country code +1)

Reply to
ng_reader

It could be a broadcast video recording tape. TV stations and TV networks used the wide tape on big Ampex video tape machines. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It's for those who think Omama will come kicking down their door, to take their guns. Try wrapping some around your head a few times. I did, and he hasn't pried my gun out of my hands.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Metal tape is metal particles. Could be some kind of strip chart tape. Pressure or electrical arc.

I got a small roll of stainless steel tape I used on bumpers or redo aluminized plastic.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This is strictly a metal foil tape, no adhesive on either side. The idea of it being from some sort of recorder where a more permanent record is needed such as a black box from an airplane seems to be the most plausible solution so far.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Going to the suggested web sites seem to me to confirm it was a recording tape. The fact that it takes a permanent mark/indent bears out that it could be used as a non-destructible flight recorder. Thanks, Bob F for your links.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Nobody has asked the obvious question. Is it an adhesive backed tape? Aluminum duct tape has pressure sensitive adhesive with a sacrificial backing strip that gets stripped off before use. If it is NOT adhesive backed, it could be instrument recording tape for something built by helm instruments. - possibly using technology similar to the "sonabelt" system. Non magnetic analog sound or data recording

Reply to
clare

I stated that it does not have any backing in response to someone's earlier posting

Reply to
hrhofmann

That does make sense. Fire would melt plastic tape.

Reply to
micky

Could this be the same?

Norminn

It will melt aluminum tape too.

Reply to
dadiOH

We're talking about inside a black box.

The melting point of aluminum is 1220 °F and I've read that aluminum foil does not melt in air before it bursts into flames. But are black boxes filled with air or something else?

Even with air, you can put aluminum foil in the oven and set the overn for 450 and the foil won't melt. What's the melting temp of plastic recording tape? A lot lower.

Reply to
micky

I said before that the tape is pure foil, no adhesive on either side!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Flashing?

Reply to
krw

I'd agree...did you confirm it _is_ non-magnetic? There were hi-fidelity and instrumentation recorders using magnetic metallic tape way back before the film/magnetic emulsion process.

Reply to
dpb

Hmm. Does the tape have adhesive on it?

. Christ> I said before that the tape is pure foil, no adhesive on either side! >

Reply to
Stormin Mormon