What is the scariest thing in your house?

Page 2 of 3

Fan is OK, but you need psychological help.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 16, 4:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

had an is continuing to have on the environment. Although , most of the electricity it uses comes from hydro; but that involved flooding land. Do we really need such a large and wasteful structure; now that family is raised? Or possibly the microwave. Once described as "The most dangerous home appliance ever invented"! Keep away (especially children) from them when they are operating. Or maybe the possibility of a water pipe break. Fortunately our full basement is not finished, most of the piping can be seen and inspected from below. We have replaced the old rubber type hoses (a common cause of water damage) to the clothes washer with insurance co. approved braided ones. Also when we leave the house for more than a few days we check everything and turn off the water pressure and electrcity to the hot water heater. When we refinished bathroom on our single main floor a few years ago I replaced the hot and cold water pipes (then about 35 years old) with brand new copper, connecting it to the old below floor level. Maybe over-caution but perhaps cheap insurance for next 30 or so? Also when a hot tank or other appliance shows any signs of deterioration, maintain or replace it promptly. That and keep everything maintained has so far in the 40 years since we built this house, kept out the weather even at wind gusts over 130 kilometres per hour (about 80-90 mph.) and heavy snow. BTW don't let snow accumulate on roof; get up there and shovel it off as soon as there is a break in the weather. We have also had to remove two 30+ year old trees some 20 feet from house which due to loose rooting could have fallen on the house. Fortunately we have planted 60 to 70 other trees, thus offsetting our carbon footprint (or at least our conscience) one would think?
Add pictures here
✖

Why the fuck don't you install a low profile fan?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

That's called paranoia.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖
Claude Hopper wrote:

Or Phobia.
The general name for the described malady is "Diplychiphobia" - Fear of accidents. The scientific name for fear of falling ceiling fans is "fandanglephobia."
Phobias cannot easily be reasoned away or mitigated, they must be circumvented. Agraphobics shop online and have their purchases delivered. Acrophobics live in one-story homes. I personally wear a clove of garlic around my neck to ward off vampires (Sanguivoriphobia).
Simply telling her "I have five ceiling fans in my house and in twenty years only one has fallen!" just won't be satisfactory. She just has to find an accommodation that works for her.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:26:21 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

There's nothing much scary in my house, but then you don't live there. (Thank Beezlebub.)
Unless your fan was installed by someone from a Poe novel, it couldn't decapitate you, relief that that may be for the rest of us, even if you stuck your scrawny neck right in the middle at the highest speed. You could get a nasty bruise, though.
If you are really so terrified, just disconnect the switch.
Do you also put little plugs in all the outlets to keep the dangerous electrons from leaking out and causing havoc as they go careening around the house?
Add pictures here
✖
Nucular Reaction wrote:

well, maybe if you have a Briggs and Stratton powered industrial fan...
http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/12/mythbusters_ming_dynasty_astro.html
My friend has a big ass 36" fan mounted on a pole with a hugeass cast iron base in his garage. It's what those cheezy plastic "utility fan" things they sell at Home Depot want to be when they grow up. I'd be a little hesitant to stick any part of my body in that thing while it's running, and the manufacturers must agree, because it's got a rather fine grille that's impossible to stick anything much bigger than a screwdriver through.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Nov 16, 1:26 am, snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

You simply MUST stop wearing those 6" spike heels around the house. Put on your Crocs and be safe.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
You simply MUST stop wearing those 6" spike heels around the house. Put on your Crocs and be safe. Joe
Can I still wear a frilly nightie? Bubba
Add pictures here
✖

Ghosts of my paranoid ex wives.
Add pictures here
✖
Linda wonders:

I'm scared of that darned garbage disposal. What were to happen if I were working over the kitchen sink and my male appendage happened to free itself of my boxer shorts and drop into the garbage disposal - then someone accidently flips the disposal switch on? Or, in the case of my wife, purposely flips the disposal switch on?
I shudder at the thought.
I've threatened my wife with divorce, but she seems to welcome the idea.
Loren
Add pictures here
✖
Dear Loren, Is your wife's name Lorena, perchance?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I heard Lorena Bobbitt was involved in a traffic accident. When the police asked her what happened, she replied: "The dick cut me off."
Add pictures here
✖

Nothing to worry about. The grinder blade is at least 3" down so you'll never reach it.
Add pictures here
✖

The blade, he'll never reach the sink. Might get the little thing caught in the zipper though...
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@28.com writes:

Dangerous?
Go to Google, type in:
ceiling fan decapitation
Read some of the links.
If you are still afraid, you have an unreasonable fear. Otherwise known as a phobia or anxiety disorder.
Type those 2 terms into Google, you'll find a lot of useful information there too.
DO NOT expect those around you to understand. If you seek treatment, tell your husband or children.
Removal of the fan is not a good option. You will just find something else to be afraid of. One of the accepted treatments is desensitization.
Add pictures here
✖

Most fans have switches right on them for turning them off. Check to see if yours does. If not, they make small caps to go over wall switches, all you need to do is remove the switch plate screws and install them right over the switch to keep people from switching the switch underneath.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

If it's a Casablanca - you have a reason to be paranoid:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml94/94022.html
Add pictures here
✖

> In my house the scariest thing is that ceiling fan in the living room. > One never knows when the propeller will come off and decapitate me or > someone else. It came with the house and I want it removed. I put a > sign by the switch that says "DO NOT TURN ON". But somehow somone > always turns it on. Then I have to risk my life walking in that room > to shut it off. I dont know why they put dangerous things like this > in houses.
If I'm really so frightened about that fan, I would disconnect if from the switch so nobody will turn it on and I'll get an assurance that nobody will get hurt. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com
Add pictures here
✖
scariest thing in my house eh? probably this computer, bringing me messages like this one.

✖