What is the scariest thing in your house?

What is the scariest thing in your house?

In my house the scariest thing is that ceiling fan in the living room. One never knows when the propeller will come off and decapitate me or someone else. It came with the house and I want it removed. I put a sign by the switch that says "DO NOT TURN ON". But somehow somone always turns it on. Then I have to risk my life walking in that room to shut it off. I dont know why they put dangerous things like this in houses.

Linda

Reply to
lindasimpson

The scariest thing in my house is the mortgage. Everything else is predictable and followes certain standards.

BTW - there are a minimum of three screws holding on each blade. Don't worry about it!

Reply to
Bob M

snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe the others want to chop off your head.

Reply to
Mr.Spock

I remember seeing some plat that an entire family was decapitated by a ceiling fan. Event he dog. I bet that happens a lot.

Scariest thing in my house is my wife trying to fix the ceiling fan right near my favorite chair.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We used to have a bird that would get out of the cage, found alot of feathers. I bent my ceiling fan blade bracket by raising my arms while taking off a shirt when under the fan, that hurt.

Reply to
ransley

It's a simple matter to install a safety-chain on ceiling fan blades. A small length of chain and two bolts per blade are all that is needed. Simply attach the chain from the metal spoke to the blade and you're good to go. Works just like the safety chain on a trailer hitch.

Another safety item is to have blade fabricated out of rubber. You can do this yourself with fairly thick sheet rubber and a sharp knife (use extreme caution with sharp tools). If the blades DO come off, they'll only cause bruising (unless they hit you in the eye - use safety glasses while enjoying the breeze).

Reply to
HeyBub

The scariest thing is probably the house itself and the effect it has had an is continuing to have on the environment. Although , most of the electricity it uses comes from hydro; but that involved flooding land. Do we really need such a large and wasteful structure; now that family is raised? Or possibly the microwave. Once described as "The most dangerous home appliance ever invented"! Keep away (especially children) from them when they are operating. Or maybe the possibility of a water pipe break. Fortunately our full basement is not finished, most of the piping can be seen and inspected from below. We have replaced the old rubber type hoses (a common cause of water damage) to the clothes washer with insurance co. approved braided ones. Also when we leave the house for more than a few days we check everything and turn off the water pressure and electrcity to the hot water heater. When we refinished bathroom on our single main floor a few years ago I replaced the hot and cold water pipes (then about 35 years old) with brand new copper, connecting it to the old below floor level. Maybe over-caution but perhaps cheap insurance for next 30 or so? Also when a hot tank or other appliance shows any signs of deterioration, maintain or replace it promptly. That and keep everything maintained has so far in the 40 years since we built this house, kept out the weather even at wind gusts over 130 kilometres per hour (about 80-90 mph.) and heavy snow. BTW don't let snow accumulate on roof; get up there and shovel it off as soon as there is a break in the weather. We have also had to remove two 30+ year old trees some 20 feet from house which due to loose rooting could have fallen on the house. Fortunately we have planted 60 to 70 other trees, thus offsetting our carbon footprint (or at least our conscience) one would think?

Reply to
terry

Why the f*ck don't you install a low profile fan?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That's called paranoia.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

You gotta be kidding.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Is this some wild ass idea you dreamed up or have you actually done this? I certainly hope this is your weird attempt at humor. 8-P

If a fan is THAT unsafe, just remove and replace it instead of going this all this unnecessary work.

Reply to
01dyna

There's nothing much scary in my house, but then you don't live there. (Thank Beezlebub.)

Unless your fan was installed by someone from a Poe novel, it couldn't decapitate you, relief that that may be for the rest of us, even if you stuck your scrawny neck right in the middle at the highest speed. You could get a nasty bruise, though.

If you are really so terrified, just disconnect the switch.

Do you also put little plugs in all the outlets to keep the dangerous electrons from leaking out and causing havoc as they go careening around the house?

Reply to
Nucular Reaction

I think he was. Aircraft cable would be much better for that application.

1/4" should do it.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

well, maybe if you have a Briggs and Stratton powered industrial fan...

My friend has a big ass 36" fan mounted on a pole with a hugeass cast iron base in his garage. It's what those cheezy plastic "utility fan" things they sell at Home Depot want to be when they grow up. I'd be a little hesitant to stick any part of my body in that thing while it's running, and the manufacturers must agree, because it's got a rather fine grille that's impossible to stick anything much bigger than a screwdriver through.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This might hold the propeller blades on, but what if the whole fan comes flying off the ceiling? Instant decapitation. When I was a child these were not used in houses, but I remember going to a store with my parents and the ceiling fan in the store got me so scared that dad had to take me out ot the car while mom shopped. They are frightening and just dangerous no matter what. There must be better and safer ways to cool a building.

I told my husband not to buy this house because of that ugly frightening fan, but he insisted it was a good house and said he would get the fan professionally removed. That was over 3 years ago, and I have already threatend to divorce him if he dont get it out of here. He always says money is tight and there are more important things to fix, and tells me to just not turn it on. I explained to him that even if it's off, it could fall on someone and kill them. I am going to hire someone myself to remove it if he dont do something about it. Even if it means the end of our marriage. I just cant live in a house with that thing anymore. Especially since it seems to turn itself on, because my husband said he never turns it on, and the kids know if they turn it on, they will be severely punished. So it must turn itself on. Either it leave this house, or I will take the kids and leave.

Linda

Reply to
lindasimpson

If this isn't a troll, just remove the fan and replace it with a light fixture. And please understand that a ceiling fan isn't dangerous at all; it doesn't have enough power behind it to seriously injure you. The only danger comes from improper installation (e.g. installing a fan on a regular ceiling box rather than a fan rated box.) If it was properly installed there is really no danger at all.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You simply MUST stop wearing those 6" spike heels around the house. Put on your Crocs and be safe.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You can always replace it with a Nerf Fan. The fans are completely harmless and run off Nerftricity which is an absolutely non dangerous form of electricity developed for operating Nerf products. The fans have been tested by dropping them from a height of 10 feet on the heads of volunteer infants who reportedly experienced no injuries. Test toddlers have been said to excitedly scream "Do it again, do it again!" when a Nerf Fan spinning at high speed was dropped on them. All Safe Home products including the Nerf series can be ordered from:

imadumbass.products.com

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Can I still wear a frilly nightie? Bubba

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ghosts of my paranoid ex wives.

Reply to