What is the scariest thing in your house?

Page 1 of 3
What is the scariest thing in your house?
In my house the scariest thing is that ceiling fan in the living room. One never knows when the propeller will come off and decapitate me or someone else. It came with the house and I want it removed. I put a sign by the switch that says "DO NOT TURN ON". But somehow somone always turns it on. Then I have to risk my life walking in that room to shut it off. I dont know why they put dangerous things like this in houses.
Linda
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

The scariest thing in my house is the mortgage. Everything else is predictable and followes certain standards.
BTW - there are a minimum of three screws holding on each blade. Don't worry about it!

By your definition of scariest (not predictable and does not follow certain standards), there's nothing scary in my house until the in-law come over.
Dick
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote in

Maybe the others want to chop off your head.
Mr.Spock wrote:

Fans don't kill people, people kill people.

I remember seeing some plat that an entire family was decapitated by a ceiling fan. Event he dog. I bet that happens a lot.
Scariest thing in my house is my wife trying to fix the ceiling fan right near my favorite chair.

We used to have a bird that would get out of the cage, found alot of feathers. I bent my ceiling fan blade bracket by raising my arms while taking off a shirt when under the fan, that hurt.

Everyone in my family was killed by a freak ceiling fan accident. I'm typing this from the beyond.
Olddog
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

It's a simple matter to install a safety-chain on ceiling fan blades. A small length of chain and two bolts per blade are all that is needed. Simply attach the chain from the metal spoke to the blade and you're good to go. Works just like the safety chain on a trailer hitch.
Another safety item is to have blade fabricated out of rubber. You can do this yourself with fairly thick sheet rubber and a sharp knife (use extreme caution with sharp tools). If the blades DO come off, they'll only cause bruising (unless they hit you in the eye - use safety glasses while enjoying the breeze).
HeyBub wrote:

You gotta be kidding.

--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

Is this some wild ass idea you dreamed up or have you actually done this? I certainly hope this is your weird attempt at humor. 8-P
If a fan is THAT unsafe, just remove and replace it instead of going this all this unnecessary work.

I think he was. Aircraft cable would be much better for that application. 1/4" should do it.
Claude Hopper wrote:

I'm offering a peace-of-mind suggestion. Similar to having a telephone installed in your coffin on the off-chance you're buried alive.
Cell phone probably won't work underground, in a metal lined coffin. You wouldn't want to be burried alive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not a cell phone - a wired one.
I read a story about a fellow who was jerked around by a lawyer. Pretending to be the lawyer, he contacted the telephone company and the cemetery with an insistence that such a thing - a telephone in his coffin - be planned. The telephone company said it's against their tariffs, the cemetery allowed as how it just wasn't possible.
Anyway, he pestered the hell out of them, until they virtually agreed to accommodate his request. Then, one of them called him back with the good news. Of course the company that called actually called the REAL lawyer. Much confusion ensued.

I thought you were going to tell the one about the wealthy dying man who wanted to take his money with him.
In one version, he called his priest, his doctor, and his lawyer to his bedside. He gave each of them $1,000,000 and asked them to put it in his coffin just before he was buried. At the funeral, each man put an envelope in the coffin. Riding away in a limousine, the priest suddenly broke into tears and confessed that he had only put $750,000 into the envelope because he needed $250,000 for a new baptistery. "Well, since we're confiding in each other," said the doctor, "I only put $500,000 in the envelope because we needed a new machine at the hospital which cost $500,000." The lawyer was aghast. "I'm ashamed of both of you," he exclaimed. "I want it known that when I put my envelope in that coffin, it held my personal check for the full $1,000,000."
In my favorite version, the priest first puts his envelope with $1,000,000 in the coffin. Then the doctor puts his envelope with $1,000,000 in the coffin. The lawyer then picks up the other two envelopes and leaves a check for $3,000,000.
Lurfys Maw wrote:

Very good. In my original story, it gets even worse. The afflicted client buys an ad in the local shopping newspaper, dresses it up as an obituary for the scummy lawyer. The ad is noticed, and copied, by the county legal newspaper. All manner of confusion ensues.
This, and other wonderful projects, is detailed in the book "Make My Day." This book is a compendium of dirty tricks, some simple, some complicated, but all worthy of being in one's arsenal.

This might hold the propeller blades on, but what if the whole fan comes flying off the ceiling? Instant decapitation. When I was a child these were not used in houses, but I remember going to a store with my parents and the ceiling fan in the store got me so scared that dad had to take me out ot the car while mom shopped. They are frightening and just dangerous no matter what. There must be better and safer ways to cool a building.
I told my husband not to buy this house because of that ugly frightening fan, but he insisted it was a good house and said he would get the fan professionally removed. That was over 3 years ago, and I have already threatend to divorce him if he dont get it out of here. He always says money is tight and there are more important things to fix, and tells me to just not turn it on. I explained to him that even if it's off, it could fall on someone and kill them. I am going to hire someone myself to remove it if he dont do something about it. Even if it means the end of our marriage. I just cant live in a house with that thing anymore. Especially since it seems to turn itself on, because my husband said he never turns it on, and the kids know if they turn it on, they will be severely punished. So it must turn itself on. Either it leave this house, or I will take the kids and leave.
Linda
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

If this isn't a troll, just remove the fan and replace it with a light fixture. And please understand that a ceiling fan isn't dangerous at all; it doesn't have enough power behind it to seriously injure you. The only danger comes from improper installation (e.g. installing a fan on a regular ceiling box rather than a fan rated box.) If it was properly installed there is really no danger at all.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@28.com wrote:

You can always replace it with a Nerf Fan. The fans are completely harmless and run off Nerftricity which is an absolutely non dangerous form of electricity developed for operating Nerf products. The fans have been tested by dropping them from a height of 10 feet on the heads of volunteer infants who reportedly experienced no injuries. Test toddlers have been said to excitedly scream "Do it again, do it again!" when a Nerf Fan spinning at high speed was dropped on them. All Safe Home products including the Nerf series can be ordered from:
imadumbass.products.com
TDD