What is the procedure for thinning exterior paint for painting a house?

We have hired a painter and he plans to spray the paint on as it's cheeper for the both of us. He doesn't plan to thin the paint. He's asking us to purchase twice as much paint than if we had it brushed on. Is this normal for spraying on paint?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Most paint manufacturers have tech reps that can speak to questions like this. TB
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

From first hand experience, Yes, it does take about twice as much as it goes on thicker which is good. But....I've never heard of watering it down, I wouldn't do that.
Joey wrote:

spraying on the outside is fast but can lead to major trouble later.
brushing washes the new paint into the old helping adhesion a lot.
paint sprayed doesnt adhere as well you will be fighting peeling paint forever or till you move
be concerned about overspray too. all that extra paint has to go somewhere....
trees bushes grass nearby vehicles concrete homes espically if its breezy when sprayed. supervise this painter very carefully

request that he backbrush the paint after it is sprayed. that solves the problems of poor adhesion from spraying.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I meant to add with old sprayers thinning was essential, not so with the newer low pressure sprayers