What is the point of outdoor latex stain?

What is the point of outdoor latex stain? Compared to paint.

Most of the time I'm repainting wood that is already brown, but today again I have a little fresh wood to paint, and the latex acryllic solid stain I'm supposed to use doesn't cover well. I can still see all the knots, the brown is light brown instead of dark brown that wwill eventually be with enough coats.

But I know there are intereior paints that cover completely the first time (except when going from a dark color to a light color, which this isn't.)

This stain never peels or chips, but can't they make latex paint like that too?

It's Duron brand sold in Duron stores, a regional brand I think centered around Baltimore, and I called and asked if they had a paint in the same color, and what the guy said is that they had both transparent and opaque stains, and opaque stain was like paint. But it's not afaik.

Please explain this to me.

Reply to
mm

The theory is that stain penetrates the surface of the wood, while paint forms an impermeable surface over the wood: it is not designed to penetrate the wood which is why paint often requires a primer while stain does not.

The practical difference is that (outdoors) it is much easier to touch up a coat of stain in spots, while exterior paints usually require overall coverage in order to appear uniform.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Reply to
Bob F

Reply to
ransley

Well that is definitely true. I can't tell where I've touched up and where I haven't. Very valuable.

That would be bad. ;)

I guess I'll stick with the stain. :)

Ransley said.

Aha. Thank you.

Duron is not sold at HD. It has its own stores. And sticking with the same brand means the same color which means I can touch up without it showing, as above. Plus this is the color the house was painted originally and which we are supposed to use.

(Nowadays, townhouses are each painted a different color because there was so much trouble getting people to stick wth the proper color. But my block and everything I can see from my house are all still right, after 30 years. There is a strange other color in a different area that was indeed hard to match, (squash yellow, or I think they called it golden harvest, or maybe that was a refrigerator) for those who didn't know they were supposed to go to Duron, and it's a mess. They also couldn't get vinyl or aluminum siding in their color, but it's available in this shade of brown. The vinyl or the aluminum, I forget which, is's not guaranteed, but they last well anyhow in this latitude and weather.)

Reply to
mm

on 5/22/2009 7:15 PM (ET) mm wrote the following:

Lowes sells Cabot's stain. Cabot's solid stain has been top ranked by Consumers Reports.

Reply to
willshak

I can vouche for the Cabot's solid stain but it is not longer in the states which have gone Green with regards to VOCs. I found this out when I went to buy more of it and had done the back of my garage in the solid. The latex looks pink and like I haven't done anything to the wood. Piss poor results.

Reply to
C & E