What is the Name of this???

Hi all:

Just need to ask what is the name, as in if I went into a Sherwin-Williams paint store and asked the for it, what words would I use?

It is a platform made up of a series of stud like lengths of wood spaced about 1 inch apart. It acts as a platform for painters to stand on that is stretched between two step ladders. The platform can hold about 300 to 350 lbs. For example painting the side of a garage, a painter could set it up so without moving any ladder he could paint most of the side of a garage from the gutter down about 1/2 way. In-expensive scaffold.

The one I saw, I think was made from 2X4 cut down to 1" X 3" (ripped 1/2 inch off each side) and about 6 foot long. The 1" X 3" were stacked on edge, and inter-leaved. It could be stretched out to about 10 foot long, and collapsed to about 6 ft long for putting into the truck. The total width I think was maybe 16" or 18"; a bit wider than my shoes are long.

I asked, and was given permission to stand on it, very stable.

For the life of me I am trying to google, but I cannot come up with the words.

I am sure the one I saw was many years old, and someone surely is selling a fiberglass version or other light weight material version.

What words do I use? Who sells it? Sears, Sherwin-Williams, Ace hardware, BORGs?

Thanks in advance. Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Scaffold plank, telescoping scaffold plank, adjustable scaffold plank

Reply to
Paul Franklin

like this

Cliff Hartle

Another term (perhaps only a regional one) is "walk board".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Scaffold........

I just use a 2x10 that is free of large knots and cracks. If you want really sturdy, nail some 3/4" plywood to some 2x4's on edge.

Reply to
marvflanders

I have a beat up 2 x 12 that I use as a scaffold to wash my picture window, BUT...

There are bushes in front of the window and the plank isn't long enough to span the width. I place the plank perpendicular to the window, resting one end on the ~2" slanted window sill and the other on a step ladder. I then "walk the plank" (arrrgghhh, matey!) towards the window to wash it. Did I mention that the plank is twisted so it rocks whenever I move?

As I said to my wife the last time I used it, "What could possibly go wrong?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks to all who replied.

Seems the key word I couldn't think of was Plank. Maybe just a senior moment. The other terms that I found was: decorator's extension plank.

But at $200.00, maybe marvflanders has a winning idea. I did some more google, and found a few hits where OSHA don't like these things.

Phil

Reply to
Phil-In-Mich.

Adjustable Scaffolding Plank or Telescoping Plank. It can be wood or metal.

Used with an extension ladder, you will need a pair of Ladder Jacks.

-zero

Reply to
-zero