What is the highest wattage incandescent

What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W. But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the 60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.
I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I think 300W is the largest made in a medium base. (You can get them at Fleet Farm.) 200W is more common.
300's are also made with a mogul base, and anything larger will have a mogul base.
Best regards, Bob
Hi Mark,
I believe the largest general service, medium screw (E26) base incandescent available today is the 300-watt PS30. Beyond that, you would be looking at a larger, mogul or E39 base.
There are a growing number of increasingly higher wattage CFLs coming to market (e.g., 200-watts) but they're both big and expensive.
How big you ask? This page should give you a pretty good idea:
See: http://lightingresearch.org/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/HWCFL/abstract.asp
How much? Well, this one retails for $78.46 so be careful not to drop it.
See: http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.php?cat 0-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents
Note, however, this CFL has a mogul base and its light output is (we presume) considerably more than the 1,200 lumens stated.
The medium base 55-watt CFL noted below claims to offer the same amount of light as a 250-watt incandescent, but that doesn't seem to be the case. A Sylvania 200-watt A21 incandescent produces 3,880 lumens or 380 lumens more than what is listed here.
See: http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/55w_power_compact_68_prd1.htm
Cheers, Paul
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:57:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I have had 500# (#2 Photoflood) but they have a useful life of about 8 hours as I recall.
I would not recommend putting anything over 150W in a standard socket as they make a lot of heat and most sockets are not ready for it. Same goes for fixtures and their wiring.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

normally 300 watts, 300 sometimes limited to mogul that oversized base.
home depot locally carries 250 watt lamps.
the CFare a good deal but dont last nearl;y as long as advertised, still they run cool and save lots of energy
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:57:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

I have a light bar used in the 60's for 8mm filming indoors. It uses four 500 watt bulbs. They have the standard base but the glass is bigger.
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:16:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

You could not have run that on a 15A fuse or breaker. According to http://www.jobsite-generators.com/power_calculators.html You'd need 16.67 Amps (rounded off). You almost need a dedicated 20A circuit.
Now, according to the tv show "Home Improvement" this would be approaching a "BOYS LIGHT", but nothing short of 100,000 WATTS will really get the male testosterone flowing. Just ask Tim Taylor. 100,000 WATTS would need to be a 240 volt bulb and would require a 500amp service, since just one of these bulbs would be sucking 417Amps at 240Volts. Now thats a REAL MANS bulb...... * (Of course, it might require more than one large man to carry the huge filament inside that bulb).
The closest single bulb I could find is a 1,500Watt bulb http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product 241
That's not powerful enough for "Tool Time" !!!!!!
--
This message is not certified by "Underwriters Laboratories".

Power Crazy
snipped-for-privacy@highvoltage.com wrote: ..

I'll bet it would get really hot in that lamp for the guys in there carrying the filament inside that bulb. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit