What is the best way to get oil stains out of a cement driveway?

Hi,
What is the best way to get oil stains out of a cement driveway? I think they are mostly power steering fluid if that matters. I've finally gotten rid of the car that leaked it, so if I can clean up the stains, it should stay cleaned up. Any tips?
Thanks,
Alan
I just did this on my own driveway to clean up a persistent oil leak on my car that I finally fixed. I tried all of the standard water based (environmentally green) degreasers with little success. Muriatic acid is dilute hydrochoric acid and will etch the concrete, but will not dissolve or digest the oil. What you need to do is go to an auto parts store or your local K-mart, Walmart, or Target and get a can of the petrolium based engine degreaser. I had great success using the Gunk: Engine Brite degreaser. Dont buy the foaming one it didnt work well. The original gunk is a reddish petrolium base product that if you spray on evaporates very slowly. Let it sit 15 - 20 minutes and scrub with a steel brush if you have one and then rish with water. This worked fabulously on my driveway will several year old oil stains. After the oil stain removal I used an old broom to brush on a 50/50 solution of water/bleach and let dry to brighten the cement.
This is also my experience. It's possible you might have to actually bleach an area, depending on how far down the pores it got; that fluid is very thin.
Pop

A friend bought 20 pounds of kitty litter and poured it on the stain. Then he walked on it with shoes that had no tread.. ( that is very important ) It took a lot of applications but the oil came out and it really did not cost all that much.
" What is the best way to get oil stains out of a cement driveway? I think

I have also had good luck just piling on a 1/2 inch of some clay-based granular cat litter, or a clay litter specifically sold for soaking up grease. Then I grind the granules to a powder with an iron weight or my heel. Leave the stuff on the stains for a week or more, and mash it with your heel every time you happen to be out there. Acid may leave an etched mark of its own, and the oil saturation may prevent the acid from etching just where you want it to. I would try solvents at then end, to get the hard-to-get residual, once the "wet" part is absorbed by the litter. Subsequent (fresh) oil stains are really easy to get off if the litter is applied right away.

I've had good success with WD-40 followed by paper towels, applying pressure. Be careful where you store those paper towels afterwards though....
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

Muriatic acid
Les and Gina wrote: Muriatic acid
========= Absolutely no. A waste of good muriatic acid and a possible waste of good concrete.
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:32:13 -0500, "SA Development"

First, pour about a quart of gasoline on it and sweep with an old broom.
After that dries a day or two, mix two gallons of scalding hot water with 2 cups of laundry detergent and repeat the broom scrub. Your stains will be gone
Sherman wrote First, pour about a quart of gasoline on it and sweep with an old broom. After that dries a day or two, mix two gallons of scalding hot water with 2 cups of laundry detergent and repeat the broom scrub. Your stains will be gone.
================== What good is accomplished by pouring a quart of gasoline on the stain and then doing nothing further until the gasoline has all evaporated? All that you have accomplished is creating a fire/explosion risk. Obviously you've never really tried this method and had any success. If you were to blot up the gas & oil mix, then you'd have some success. But there are much safer methods.
Likewise, the advice with the hot water and detergent doesn't seem very helpful. After pouring this on and scrubbing with a broom, "your stains will be gone." Where did they go? You must either (1) blot up the oil stain and/or (2) rinse it away.
Blotting is almost always the best approach. Rinsing will often just spread a small concentrated oil stain and create a huge, less concentrated oil stain. Just scrubbing with hot water & detergent will never remove the oil stain. Where would it go?
You seem to be making up worthless advice which you've never actually used.
You are dumber than a stump, you ignorant PERVERT!!!

I just used 20% muriatic (hydrochloric) acid on mine. Took me only a few minutes (for a single oil stained area). It worked great!
[Just be sure to use common sense safety precautions. Have your water spray hose nearby and ready to use. Before you finish (or before leaving the scene unattended for any reason), gently spray water over --so as to dilute first, and then rinse harmlessly into the ground or storm drainage- any and all of the acid.]
Ken

They have products specifically for that type of cleaning. See your local hardware store.
Muriatic acid, if it does work will leave a bleached/etched spot as noticeable as the original stain, you would need to etch the whole driveway (if you do, it will be nicely ready for a transparent stain or sealer). It would work by etching away the concrete holding on to the oil. deeper stains may still not come out.
dish soap and scrubbing work for smaller stains
Gasoline makes a good solvent for oil but is environmentally unfriendly. Denatured alcohol might be worth a try.
Geez, I spilled gear oil out (a quart or two) on my driveway when I had to change a senson on an Infiniti (5 speed stick)
Anywho, to get the stain out I just used carb cleaner (gum out or whatever is on sale) That did the trick. Just make sure to clean the area of excess oil first, then start with the carb cleaner. Spray it, wipe it down and let it dry.
Worked for me.
Tom
Spread kitty litter, the cheap clay kind, over the stains and grind into the surface with old boots. Sweep up the following day then scrub with Dawn dishwashing detergent and water, rinse. You will still have some stain, but it will be less noticeable and then less with time.
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:32:13 -0500, "SA Development"

Thanks to all who posted, I have plenty of great ideas on how to clean up my driveway!!!
Thanks again,
Alan
www.sadevelopment.com - Home of the best disk utilities that you can't live without. Try them for free; They require no operating system to work!
Pour on just enough paint thinner to cover the stain. Let it soak for a couple of minutes and pour oil absorbant clay over it (looks like kitty litter but you buy it at autoparts stores). Grind it around with your shoe until all the paint thinner is absorbed. Sweep.
That completely removes every kind of oil stain I've ever had to deal with.