what is the best current replacement for diazinon?

what is the best current replacement for diazinon or dursban?
has anyone tried the various replacements sold at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.?
can you recommend any that work as good as the banned ones, i.e. keeping ants, termites, roaches out of yard for 3 months?
1:1 mixture of 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and 2,4,5-trichlorophenoxyacetic acid
On 1-Dec-2005, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

2,4 D and 2,4,5 T are both herbicides, not pesticides.
Mike
Just couldn't stand to see his post fester on the vine...
And those 2 are *specially notable* herbicides, at that.
-D
Michael Daly wrote:

They are both
pesticide noun [C or U] a chemical substance used to kill harmful insects, small animals, *wild plants* and other unwanted organisms:
herbicide noun [C or U] a chemical which is used to destroy plants, especially weeds
Steve 41N

In common usage, pesticides kill insects, herbicides kill plants. Get over it.
Mike
i been using malathion since diazanon was baned. it seems to work.lucas
bubba wrote:

I suggest that you check with your local county extension agent. They know the local problems and solutions. I might tell you what would work where I am, but it might be worthless where you are.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
bubba wrote:

There are foreign firms that will ship DDT labeled as "Plaster of Paris."
It is surprisingly cheap.
HeyBub wrote:

Speaking of which, do you know you can still get R-12 freon outside of the country? I was in Aruba earlier this year and found a gas station convenient store fully stocked with shelves of R-12. It is not a buck a can like the good ole days. Still I think it will be a commodity in demand if someone can get it in the country. It is $5 and change a can and made in Singapore.

you would have a better chance of getting cocaine into the country
john wrote:

And probably spend less time in Club Fed if caught. The funny part in this saga is that the Chinese now manufacture millions of tons of R-12 and other CFC the enviros go nuts over, but no one really says much about it.
Tim Killian wrote:

Care to provide some evidence to this fact? Millions of tons of R-12? For what? All Chinese automobiles are foreign license assembled in China. None are using R-12 in the same way they, or any other third world country for that matter, don't need massive investment in land lines but rather leap frog to cell phones.
yaofeng wrote:

Sure:
http://tinyurl.com/dp8ta
This is data from '02, so you'll need to double or triple the numbers for '05 given the crazy economic growth rate in the PRC. It shows the Chinese use hundreds of thousands of tons of CFCs for blow agents, refrigerants, and fire protection agents. Much of it is produced on equipment we sold them after the production of these products was banned in the U.S.
Yes, they've signed treaties saying they will stop using CFCs, so what? They will undoubtedly be ignored -- just look at how poorly they enforce anti-piracy laws for IP and entertainment media. The PRC does what it wants, and enviros who dare to protest over there are summarily jailed.
Tim Killian wrote:

We have gone through the Silent Spring in the 60's ourselves. You cannot just decree the like of poor and developing countries to do things our way. Although we came a very long way. I guess they have to knock their heads black and blue also to know better. At this point in time, much of what the developed countries told them they'll take it as if we are pulling their legs.
The other side of the coin is perhaps some old technologies were used there precisely because they are banned in the developed countries and newer, better ones subject to more stringent environmental regulations are much more expensive. What's available and currently in use even in this country will be deemed harmful to the environment when we know better 5 or 10 years from now. So it is natural to hand them down to areas where regulations do not exist or less stringent.
And finally, are we not enjoying the fruit of the cheap labor and lower cost but polluting technolgies as we speak? Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, with shelves upon shelves of product mand in China. When was the last time you relented and bought a $120 snap-on tool instead of a $10 knock off made in China? Can you say you always choose the expensive alternative of domestic manufacture? Even if you do are you sure the parts inside are not made with processes which cause the ozone layer to get bigger and bigger? I know I am guilty on every count.

Yea...so what? you can get 30lb cans in Mexico for about $25. Its illegal to bring it in...
Oh...with the proper licence you can still buy R12 in cans here in the states...but the question is WHY? FR12 is cheaper....works just as well.
replying to yaofeng, Yam wrote:

bubba wrote:

boric acid?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

Hey that's good. spray or spread it all around your yard, bet that will keep those pesky pests out of your yard. It will certainly keep all the vegetation out of your yard. A little (very little) boron is essential to the growth of many plants but more than a little is deadly.