What is "standard" height of bathroom vanity?

We are in the process of remodeling one of our bathrooms. The new vanity we purchased (48") is 34" high without the top. We measured our other one(s) in the house and they are about 31-32". Back to the home center and most of 34"+. Is this a new trend? Is there a "standard" height? Just wondering....
Bob

Throw standard out the window. Do what you like. Don't bother wondering.
I guess it is sign of the growing of Americans. Really old installs used 30". Late 60/70s used 32. As you have found, current installs are higher. Kitchen counters still maintain at 36", though I know a family of height challenged people who . . . . . . . another story.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Yea. That is to match dishwashers and ovens.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Ours is 29.5 inches. Brought up 3 children since 1970, present user, a senior 5' 10'' 187 pounds finds it comfortable.

Higher is better for adults. Lower is better for children. Choose what works best for your family.

Better IMO to build for adult height, and provide stools for the children while they need them. They don't stay short for long... the kid who used to be a cute little toddler is now 5" taller than I am...
Pat wrote:

Chuckle. When I hit Lotto and build my dream house, master bath will have vanity close to kitchen counter height, with deep-dish non-splash design sink. I'm 6-3 most days, and washing my face without splashing counter and the front of my pants, is often more than I can manage. The bathroom by garage/back door will have a laundry sink, even if the appliances are elsewhere.
-- aem sends...
: Higher is better for adults. Lower is better for children. Choose what : works best for your family.
At 5'2" I prefer the older (shorter) style vanities.

32 - 34.
We installed two vanities in our new house.
The one in the dressing-vanity area adjacent to the walk-in closet is set up so my wife can sit at it on a stool; it's 32 inches. Standard desktop is 30 inches, but, if you make a vanity 30 inches high, you have to bend over a lot to reach the sink, so, 32 inches is a good compromise so she can sit comfortably while someone standing up at the sink is not uncomfortable.
Vanity in the guest bathroom is 34. No one will be sitting at it so it's a bit higher, which makes standing at the sink a bit more comfortable.

A higher vanity is much less stress on the back, and most people have at least one backache in their lifetime. Who wants to feel backpain the morning just to wash his face? I have no idea why vanities are so low in master bathrooms, I guess they serve short people better.

I don't know about standard, but the standards were based on the measurments of the men in the military of world war two. If you are doing it for yourself, place where it feels good to you and wife.
On Sat 14 Jun 2008 02:06:42p, bobmct told us...

At one time most vanities were ~30" finished height. There is a current trend towards 34-36" high, the same height as kitchen counters. I'd guess that comfort is the reason. In our new house the vanity in the master bath is 36", the guest bath is 32".
--
Wayne Boatwright

Health problems would justify changing from the standard height. Bad backs for raising the height and wheelchair access for others.
bobmct wrote:

Yeah, that one caught me by surprise. I had a new bathroom vanity installed last yr in preparation for selling, and let the contractor pick it out. (Row house, just needed a pretty generic vanity. Anything was an improvement over the old swirly gray Formica). It looked good... and then I went to use it. I'm 5' tall, so brushing my teeth was suddenly a bit more of a challenge, LOL. Not a huge deal - if that's what prospective buyers expect, I'm glad we got it.
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:06:42 -0400, bobmct wrote:

Make it a height that is convenient for you and those who will use it. For kids, provide a step stool.

Franz Fripplfrappl
bobmct wrote:

If you use the sink as a urinal, your inseam length is about right.