What is silicone caulk made out of?

Does anyone know?

I am asking because I had a tube get stiff and I burned it in my trash barrel. After the fire was out, I saw the silicone and felt it. It's still sticky, like a rosin on my fingers, and sort of a very small grittyness.

Reply to
maradcliff

Pure Silicone is a liquid that does not stiffin (like in breast implants). Silicone Caulk is a mixture of Silicone, solid fillers (maybe), other chemical binders and pigment (zinc oxide or carbon black probably or similar for white and black) The fire probably broke down the binders and left the sticky silicone and the gritty pigment and fillers.

Reply to
PipeDown

No, "silicone" doesn't really mean anything, because it means any of a zillion variations on an Si--O polymeric chain.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Not that this has anything to do with my original question, but since you mentioned it, I never knew breast implants were a liquid. I thought they were a solid like the caulk after it hardens. Guess I'll have to find one of these women and do a little mountain climbing on the twin peaks :)

Thanks for the reply, and yes the remains are very sticky. almost like the rosin used on the hands for people that play stringed instruments, but it has a very fine abrasiveness too.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff