What is most available, easy to use weed killer?

Page 1 of 2
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and general tubor type weeds.
What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed killer? Oh, and most readily available.
On 4/19/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

Not sure there is any "most" there...2,4-D though would probably come closest for both for broadleaf-selective. There are any number on the shelves at any box or hardware or garden store.
I'm not sure what you mean by a "tuber type" weed...

Round up. Hands down. Ag strength - not the wattered down crap you get at the borg.
On 4/19/2012 7:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

It was implied that OP wanted a broadleaf, not systemic herbicide.
Being in production ag meself, I certainly understand and use very large quantities of Roundup as well as 2,4-D and many others as well.

Maybe you read a different post. I didn't see anything there that indicated he wanted a broadleaf selective herbicide. Unless you think the weeds and scraggly small trees he's trying to kill are in his lawn....

On 4/20/2012 9:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

What was _not_ to imply that?
=

Well to imply that he wants a broadleaf selective herbicide would mean that it's in a turf area. He mentioned wanting to kill weeds and scraggly trees. Scraggly trees would imply to me that it's more likely an area of brush, not lawn.
On 4/20/2012 1:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Whatever you say since you're omniscient apparently.
On Apr 19, 8:59pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There is no such thing as Ag strength Roundup. It's sold as either ready to use or concentrated which you then dilute to whatever strength you need or want. You don't use the concentrate directly.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:31:56 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Concentrated is what I referred to as "ag strength" because around here you pretty well need to be a farmer or a licenced applicator to buy anything but the severely diluted stuff.
For some applications it needs to be about twice as strong a mixture to be effective.
On 4/20/2012 9:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

there are several different strengths of the concentrate. And there most certainly IS a PRO strength available. (if you're licensed to use it)
--
Steve Barker

Yawn..... The "pro strength" is just the concentrate at 50%, which of course like all the concentrated versions you dilute to the appropriate level prior to use. Now show us where you have to be licensed to buy or use it. Certainly not here in the peoples republic of NJ where even Home Depot carries it. It's also available for anyone to order online from a variety of retailers.
The point was that with any of the concentrated forms you don't apply it as is. You dilute it to the appropriate concentration for the application.
If you REALLY want to kill everything mix 50% roundup with 50% poision ivy killer. this really kills vegetation dead, and is the only thing that kills poision ivy on my front hillside.
I first tried to get a landscaper to do it with pro chemicals but they insisted on killing everything....
including some stuff my mom planted shortly before she died........

Round up with a surfactant. Down and dirty is a couple spoonsful of Diesel or Kero in a couple gallons of mix.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 16:59:38 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Need to be licenced in Ontario Canada, for one.

And Roundup (or as its no longer patented - its far less expensive generic equivilent) only acts on the leaf of the plant. Spraying it on the trunk, bark or surrounding ground does nothing.

tuber, or tubor, or whatever, but it is a gargantuan root with a lot of stored energy that can survive almost anything done to the foliage.
On 4/20/2012 9:43 AM, Robert Macy wrote: ...

Your best bet then is to identify what it is, specifically, and find what is an appropriate herbicide and application protocol.
I don't know if my bottle of Roundup went weak, or the plants developed resistance. The stuff doesn't work as well, this year. Next, I try gasoline.
Need to get rid of some scraggly, extablished trees [small] and general tubor type weeds.
What is the best, easiest to use, least damaging spray on weed killer? Oh, and most readily available.
On Apr 19, 1:55pm, "Stormin Mormon"

I assume he wants to kill everything, ie it's not an area with grass, flowers, etc. In that case, next question is do you want:
A - something that works on what's there and that will not keep anything new from growing, where you could plant new stuff in a week. Roundup or similar glyphosate product.
B - something that works on what's there, is stronger, more effective, but you can't plant anything for awhile. One of the brush killer products
C - something that will kill what's there and is persistent so it will prevent anything from growing for months. One of the extended season long control products.
Since it's trees, if possible, I'd probably go with B