What' is involved in building a custom shed?

I've got a mid-sized hardwood deck that stands about 5 feet off the ground. I was thinking I'd like to build a decent sized shed to fit under it to store lawnmower, rakes, gardening materials, etc. Trouble is I have never built anything like it - what is involced in the process? Would I need to get it anspected and approved by the homeowner's association?
Thanks in advance,
James

ground.
James,
You are going to need to do local research for your answer. Where I am located the government does care what you build if it is less than 200^2 (building codes do not apply). My homeowners association via a deed restriction forbids all detached structures and any additions or attached structures must be approved prior to construction. You need to read your restrictions or ask someone.
Building under your deck and creating a semi-leak proof roof would be a challenge in any case.

ground.
A thought -- I was flipping through channels a couple of weeks back and came upon an HGTV show called "Fix It Up". They were doing a project where they had a good sized deck and the homeowner wanted to use the space beneath it for storage. So they put a vinyl drainage system under the deck, adding downspouts and gutters, and had a dry space. Kind of a neat idea IMHO. From the looks of it, the task would not be too terribly daunting at all.
Here's a link to the project information from the show:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/remodeling/article/0,1797,HGTV_3659_1394311,00.html

You'd have to ask your homeowner's association about that 'un -- they all have their own rules, but I'd say probably yes.
James

ground.
You really don't need a shed, you need to enclose the space under the deck. As someone else mentioned, there are products that will divert runoff through the deck so the space underneath stays dry. Then you just need to close off the area with framing or what-not and add a door.
Yes, you should check with the city AND homeowners association for any restrictions.
-Tim

ground.
If it was me, I'd just build it. Since it's under the deck and small, it's really no different than one of those rubbermaid storage units. http://www.rubbermaid.com/hpd/consumer/product/detail.jhtml?prod=HPFG375201%20714&attributeId=&nextType=&currentType=&locationId=&thirdMenuIndex In fact, I bet that sticking one of those under the deck would be cheaper and easier than building something custom. I'm sure it would be faster!
--
Jim Sullivan

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome