What is duct telling?

I bought 30 years old house. This house was build for 65 years old lady and she lived here rest of her life. Since trustee was holding title I got pretty good deal to buy. Then, I had to discover problems one after another. Now, I know this house wasn't taken care, did not receive necessary maintenance at all. I've been here for 3 months and already spent bit more than $10k to fix up. Any ways, about all ducts opening area (where air comes in to the room) are dirty. Walls by them got dark marks on telling me dirty air has been coming in. I thought about getting duct cleaning service by professional but I heard that is wasting money because duct should be self cleaning item. Other then changing filter, could you think of any advice?

Reply to
Arcury

A few years back my duct was trying to tell me something too but i couldn't understand it. so i bought a Duct/American dictionary and my troubles were over.

what it was telling me was it was cold in the summer and hot in the winter and it's joints hurt.

Reply to
mark Ransley

when my ducks are going quack quack quack I feed em bread

Reply to
mark Ransley

Kind of not important to your problem, but since you stated it...if you got a good deal, now you see why.

Yup...first, and most important, unless the duct in question is honest to God metal, and not flex, or the old fiberglass spiral type, duct cleaning is a waste. of time and money, and 99% of the time, un-needed..duct is not "self cleaning" but if the filters are in place, and being used, you should not have a huge build up of dirt in the ducts, except possibly in the returns, if you have a central filter at the furnace, and several returns from each room as is common on the older homes...and if THAT is the case, it can stay there, since the filters going to stop it...

Now, two things come to mind...you are suffering from ghosting, but from what source? IF the old lady burned candles, bingo, you prob have found your problem, if you burn candles that will do it.

If you are not, or you cant find out if she was a big candle burner...(seriously), you need to have the furnace checked. Ten to one its NOT a heat pump, and its prob oil or gas, and if you are getting ghosting as bad as you describe, altho I cant see it from here, so I dont know, but that is a sign of a severely cracked heat exchanger on a gas or oil unit..or a gas unit that is not burning correctly, or a oil unit that has an oversized nozzle and is not set up correctly, and NO, this is NOT a DIY item.

Reply to
CBHvac

As CBHvac suggested, I suspect you have a furnace problem, and one that could be dangerous. Have it checked.

BTW ignore the local trolls. This seems to be the season for then all over. They must all be out of school .............. Yea they started up right as school let out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan