What is Cutting Oil?

Reading another thread on here, it was recommended to use "cutting oil" for drilling steel. I'm sure there is a specific oil made for this use, but is it really necessary, or can just plain motor oil or WD40 be used? I usually dont use anything if the metal is less than

1/8" thick, but the few times I had to drill in thicker metal, I just spray WD40 a couple times a minute, or have squirted some used motor oil from a pump oiler can. Is there any reason to spend money on a special cutting oil? If so, where does a person get it? And what makes it different than plain oil?

Jakester

Reply to
jakester2001x

WD40 doesn't work worth a darn. I tried it once when I ran out of cutting oil. One of the most common uses of cutting oil is in a pipe threading machine. Go to a plumbing supply store and purchase some. It will keep the edge of the cutting tool sharp as it keeps it cool and reduces the friction during cutting.

Reply to
tnom

Cutting oil is different in that it contains EP additived:

Abe