What is comparatively easy kitchen countertop for a diy'er?

I have a laminate kitchen countertop in my kitchen that I would like to replace. Since I am sem-retired and a very handy guy (e.g., do my own car work, sheetrock, plumbing, etc.), I would like to do the replacement myself. I would like an opinion or two of a kitchen countertop that would be reasonable for a person like me to do.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

tile. granite squares. preformed laminate.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Any reputable brand of laminate will do, Try to buy a sheet that will cover the entire countertop so you don't need to make any joints. You will need a router and beveled bit to trim the edges. Put the front edges on first. Finish edges with a file.

Reply to
Martik

In a previous article snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org (Al Kondo) writes: : ;I have a laminate kitchen countertop in my kitchen that I would like :to replace. Since I am sem-retired and a very handy guy (e.g., do my ;own car work, sheetrock, plumbing, etc.), I would like to do the :replacement myself. I would like an opinion or two of a kitchen ;countertop that would be reasonable for a person like me to do.

You may want to look into a solid material called Richlite. I have been playing with a sheet for a project, and it cuts and routes very much like MDF. A little heavier than MDF. Here is a link I found:

Wen-King Su

Tile? I had glazed ceramic tile in a previous rental home, and now semi-professional installed quarry tile. Cutting the fiddly bits was a pain (to my contractor), but it didn't seem to require a great deal of equipment or special skills.

Note: for any surface, try to see more than a single sample square and imagine what several yards of the stuff is going to look like. I bought a cheerful, brightly-patterned ceramic tile that looked great at 9"x9". 72 sq ft, incl. backsplash, would have driven me mad in a month.

Reply to
Frogleg