what is better 110 or 220 if the appliance can be wired for both.

I am installing an inground pool. the contractor is doing the basic wiring bonding etc....The filter and control panel can be wired 220, but pool guy says

110 is ok. The real electrician says he thinks it should be 220....case closed in my mind, but he said it could be done 110, but it will reduce my electric bill if it is 220. Does anyone have an opinion...am I saving pennies or dollars if I go 220....thx
Reply to
glen07
220 wiring can be thinner cable. electric bill will be the same, energy used.
Reply to
hallerb

For single phase motors, if it draws 10 amps @120 volts, it draws 5 amps @

240. The circuit breaker will cost a whole lot more for 240 volt (GFCI), but I'd go with the higher voltage to keep the pool service more evenly divided

Reply to
RBM

The devil is in the details, but I doubt the difference will amount to much.

Power lost in the wiring is I^2*R, which is probably what the electrician has in mind, but the wire used in the two cases won't be the same, so won't have the same R.

I'd probably go with the 220 (240?) if it draws more than a kilowatt when operating.

Reply to
CJT

Electric motors always run more efficiently at the higher voltage and start better also. Less current draw during startup also.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

120V is OK. 240 is better. If the cost is the same go 240. Don't expect to see a lot of difference between the two. I would usually go 240.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Agreed, and more efficency in motors can lead to longer service life if that's worth anything.

Reply to
jackson

Why?

and start

Reply to
CJT

Hi,

220 is more effiient without going into detailed theory.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Why? Power factor!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You will not save, in either case. Same number of watts used.

The advantage with 220 is that you can use smaller wire to connect. So you get some upfront savings.

Higher voltages also travel farther down the wire with less loss to heat.

Since the amperage draw is is lower, there will be slightly less energy loss to warming the wires. But the difference is insignifigant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Less drop in the supply.

Do explain!

Reply to
krw

Hmmm, Just simply KVA vs. Wattage for a given load. The close each other, the power factor is approaching unity(1). I don't want to go into details. Class room stuff.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Explain, please.

Reply to
CJT

Yes, we've already discussed I^2*R drops, but those depend on the wire used, too. The poster to whom I responded seemed to imply there was more to it.

And that's not really the efficiency of the motor, per se, but the efficiency of the delivery system.

Indeed.

Reply to
CJT

We know what power factor is.

But why do you think it's voltage dependent in a fashion that favors higher voltage systems?

Reply to
CJT

I don't see why either 220 or 110 supply will inherently have a lower or higher power factor. The current and voltage should not necessarily have any phase shift differential because of the voltage difference.

On the other hand, winding losses for a given horsepower motor should increase due to a lower voltage and thus a higher current being required, unless the motor has been wound with considerably larger gauge wire. Unless the motor has been designed and built to compensate with lighter parts elsewhere or lower friction elsewhere, it seems that a lower voltage 110 volt / higher current motor would be less efficient.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

That makes sense. There are I^2*R losses in the motor as well as the feed wiring. I would hope they're not large relative to the work done, though.

Thanks.

Reply to
CJT

I know what power factor is. What's it got to do with this discussion?

Reply to
krw