What is an airless sprayer?

Is an airless sprayer basically an atomizer/trigger attached to an 'air compressor based paint delivery system' ? I already have a compressor and am thinking if I buy a good spray gun it will do what an airless sprayer does. Or is the paint quality from an airless system (costing about $500) better than that from a spray gun like that at

ississauga

Everybody I know that sprays uses compressors. The item you mention is nice for maneuverability and working in tight spots, but who really paints in tight spots? Sprayed paint is not exactly easy to control.

Reply to
Brad

With an airless sprayer the paint is pumped. There is no air. This can result in less overspray and easier spraying of thicker paints. Using a compressor and an HVLP spraygun can be good for small jobs (latex/oil) but are not the best for large scale spraying. The paint has to be thinned a lot. Additionally, in the most common setups you can only hold about a quart of paint in the gun with compressor/hvlp so you have to refill constantly. With airless your paint sits on the floor/ground in a large bucket so you are only handling a small lightweight easy to manuver gun.

Compressor/hvlp is fine for finishes (poly, etc).

Mark

ississauga wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna