What is "Acrylic" Paint?`

I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either Latex or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

And part 2 of this question:

I know you can't put oil based paint over previously painted latex paint but what about acrylic? How does that figure in the mix?

Reply to
excap

Latex = acrylic

Reply to
dadiOH

Okay, so how does it go? Can put Latex On top of previous Oil based paint but not vice versa?

Reply to
excap

There is "oil based" and "water based". No latex in latex paint. What you put over what depends largely on the substrate and gloss. Use the right primer and prep. Latex on hard enamel is nasty, as the next paint job will be more difficult beause you can't sand latex. Letex on concrete is preferred because it breathes a bit, and concrete always has moisture in it.

Reply to
Norminn

Speaking of enamel, that would be another good question. Is enamel a type of paint? Basically, enamel just means "shiny".

Reply to
jeffc

No, you don't put latex finish on top of oil finish, unless you use an oil primer first.

You can put oil on latex.

Reply to
Hopkins

"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based enamel = oil-based

Reply to
Hopkins

Questions have been answered but if you're unsure about a particular product, read the label under 'clean up' or 'thinning'.

Reply to
Hopkins

NO it isnt'

Reply to
3rd eye

Enamel is a harder finish. Doesn't matter if latex or oil. It doesn't need to have gloss to be an enamel. . Acyrlic is NOT the same as latex.

OP didn't say if interior, but it is assumed that he was talking about trim.

HOPKINS is an idiot. This person hasn't a clue as to what he's talkiing about.

Reply to
3rd eye

"Hopkins" wrote in news:1118624442.423594.56200 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Beg to differ. You can buy water based enamels. The desktop directly under this keyboard was painted with a water based enamel paint. I didtinctly rememebr selecting enamal for it's hard wearing finish. I also know that I cleaned up the brush with water.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

Main Entry: 2enamel Function: noun

1 : a usually opaque vitreous composition applied by fusion to the surface of metal, glass, or pottery 2 : a surface or outer covering that resembles enamel 3 a : something that is enameled b : ENAMELWARE 4 : a cosmetic intended to give a smooth or glossy appearance 5 : a hard calcareous substance that forms a thin layer capping the teeth -- see TOOTH illustration 6 : a paint that flows out to a smooth coat when applied and that dries with a glossy appearance

Main Entry: la·tex Pronunciation: 'lA-"teks Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural la·ti·ces /'lA-t&-"sEz, 'la-/; or la·tex·es Etymology: New Latin latic-, latex, from Latin, fluid

1 : a milky usually white fluid that is produced by cells of various seed plants (as of the milkweed, spurge, and poppy families) and is the source of rubber, gutta-percha, chicle, and balata 2 : a water emulsion of a synthetic rubber or plastic obtained by polymerization and used especially in coatings (as paint) and adhesives

Main Entry: 2acrylic Function: noun

1 a : ACRYLIC RESIN b : a paint in which the vehicle is an acrylic resin c : a painting done in an acrylic resin 2 : ACRYLIC FIBER

Main Entry: acrylic resin Function: noun : a glassy thermoplastic made by polymerizing acrylic or methacrylic acid or a derivative of either and used for cast and molded parts or as coatings and adhesives

Main Entry: acrylic acid Function: noun : an unsaturated liquid acid C3H4O2 that polymerizes readily to form useful products (as constituents for varnishes and lacquers)

begin 666 audio.gif M1TE&.#EA$ `+`+,``,X`(?___P`````````````````````````````````` M`````````````````````"P`````$ `+```$(C#(&0"@F-HK>=Y>I8&6:'8D

3IT[I>K9=C)*R![L8J&4S.T4`.P`` ` end
Reply to
Oscar_Lives

You've got good answers and bad answers, so I won't add to the confusion. Go here or do a google search:

George E. Cawthon

Maybe "usually", maybe not. There are water based enamels, that's why I pointed it out.

Reply to
jeffc

I challenge you to show us a flat enamel.

Reply to
jeffc

Dang, as soon as I say that I check it out just to be sure. There are flat enamels. News to me.

Reply to
jeffc

MY ANNUAL EXPLANATION ABOUT "LATEX PAINT" BEING UNRELATED TO "LATEX RUBBER".

The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means "emulsion", nothing more. The emulsion may be of acrylic, or other things like polyvinyl acetate or natural casein. The term "latex paint" tells you nothing but that the paint is a water-based emulsion. It does NOT tell you what species of polymer.

"Natural latex", often confusingly just called "latex", is the rubber tree sap, an emulsion of natural rubber. This has nothing to do with "latex" paint. "Latex rubber" is rubber made from natural latex. Before modern polymers, this was the only latex polymer, so in those days "latex" almost always meant natural rubber emulsion, leading to a misunderstanding today in peoples minds.

Many plants have latex sap, not just rubber trees.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

If it's hard and glossy it's called "enamel" because the original enamel was glass fused to metal. They sell latex "enamel" and it *is* glossy. But hard? I don't think so...it isn't sandable, stuff sticks to it, it doesn't flow.

There is no reason that there couldn't be a decent water based "enamel" (may already exist) but it would use polyurethane. Latex is fine for drywall and concrete, lousy for wood. Lousy, that is, if one cares about how it looks.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

OK, "acrylic" paints are acrylic latex but not all latex paints have acrylic. Happy?

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

yeah, you're right. i stand corrected.

Reply to
Hopkins