What is "Acrylic" Paint?`

Page 1 of 2
I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."
I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either Latex or Oil based.
Is it a hybrid of the two?
And part 2 of this question:
I know you can't put oil based paint over previously painted latex paint but what about acrylic? How does that figure in the mix?
excap wrote:

Latex = acrylic
--
dadiOH
____________________________

No, you don't put latex finish on top of oil finish, unless you use an oil primer first.
You can put oil on latex.

NO it isnt'
excap wrote:

There is "oil based" and "water based". No latex in latex paint. What you put over what depends largely on the substrate and gloss. Use the right primer and prep. Latex on hard enamel is nasty, as the next paint job will be more difficult beause you can't sand latex. Letex on concrete is preferred because it breathes a bit, and concrete always has moisture in it.

Speaking of enamel, that would be another good question. Is enamel a type of paint? Basically, enamel just means "shiny".
"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking of paint, it's like latex...
latex = water-based enamel = oil-based

Maybe "usually", maybe not. There are water based enamels, that's why I pointed it out.
jeffc wrote:

If it's hard and glossy it's called "enamel" because the original enamel was glass fused to metal. They sell latex "enamel" and it *is* glossy. But hard? I don't think so...it isn't sandable, stuff sticks to it, it doesn't flow.
There is no reason that there couldn't be a decent water based "enamel" (may already exist) but it would use polyurethane. Latex is fine for drywall and concrete, lousy for wood. Lousy, that is, if one cares about how it looks.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Let me amend that...
I should have said that latex (or acrylic latex) is lousy for wood *furniture*...tables, desks, cabinets...like that. There is no way under the sun to get a good paint job on same with those paints. For things like exterior trim, it is fine.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Enamel is a harder finish. Doesn't matter if latex or oil. It doesn't need to have gloss to be an enamel. . Acyrlic is NOT the same as latex.
OP didn't say if interior, but it is assumed that he was talking about trim.
HOPKINS is an idiot. This person hasn't a clue as to what he's talkiing about.
ah, a small mistake and i'm the scourge of the earth. cram it with walnuts.
Questions have been answered but if you're unsure about a particular product, read the label under 'clean up' or 'thinning'.

Beg to differ. You can buy water based enamels. The desktop directly under this keyboard was painted with a water based enamel paint. I didtinctly rememebr selecting enamal for it's hard wearing finish. I also know that I cleaned up the brush with water.
--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder

I challenge you to show us a flat enamel.

Dang, as soon as I say that I check it out just to be sure. There are flat enamels. News to me.
jeffc wrote:

In oil paints at least, all start life as glossy. Adding a flatting agent - talc, usually - in varying amounts is what changes the sheen. Used to be that paint stores actually sold talc so you could mix whatever sheen you wanted; nowadays, they don't even know what flatting powder is.
excap writes:

MY ANNUAL EXPLANATION ABOUT "LATEX PAINT" BEING UNRELATED TO "LATEX RUBBER".
The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means "emulsion", nothing more. The emulsion may be of acrylic, or other things like polyvinyl acetate or natural casein. The term "latex paint" tells you nothing but that the paint is a water-based emulsion. It does NOT tell you what species of polymer.
"Natural latex", often confusingly just called "latex", is the rubber tree sap, an emulsion of natural rubber. This has nothing to do with "latex" paint. "Latex rubber" is rubber made from natural latex. Before modern polymers, this was the only latex polymer, so in those days "latex" almost always meant natural rubber emulsion, leading to a misunderstanding today in peoples minds.
Many plants have latex sap, not just rubber trees.