What is a water well ejector device?

My home was built in 1955 and was originally outside the city limits and has a well. I have lived here for 35 years and never used the well. A week ago I started replacing the well pump house roof and decided to remove the pump, holding tank and piping. Incidently, after 40 years, nothing unscrews anymore. The pump sat on top of the well casing and had a pair of hoses 35 feet long down to a metal object, actually a large rust clump. I haven't been able to find anything that fully describes the function of this rust clump. Does anyone have a source that shows more than a photo of a metal object they call an ejector?

The well casing is 8 inches internal diameter and water level is at 20 feet.I

Reply to
Walker1940

Similar to jet pump:

$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1143?opendocument
Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

. Probably a 'venturi' jet unit. To describe such a thing in simple terms; the pump at the surface of the ground etc. sends water at speed and pressure down one pipe to the venturi; as that water rushes past the jet it 'sucks up' even more water and drives it up to the surface. they are used because using a suction pump, which depends on atmospheric pressure, it is not possible to lift (i.e. 'suck') water more than about 20 to 25 feet! Another common alternative is to put the submersible electric pump down the well and have wires down to it. While that only requires one pipe (up) it does mean more complexity and having to lift the whole pipe and pump, completely out of the well to service it. Compared to a submersible pump a venturi is a simpler non-powered device. Any help?

Reply to
Stan

Not if it has two hoses connected.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Even jet pumps have a footvalve, it will be the lowest part of the rust clump.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K