What is a SLEDGE?

Page 2 of 2
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

But either way, your left hand has a black and blue finger :)

one.
With a REAL hammer your more likely to injure yer foot........
--

SVL

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:07:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com wrote:

Try Merriam-Webster on line -
Etymology: Middle English slegge, from Old English slecg; akin to Old Norse sleggja sledgehammer, Old English slEan to strike -- more at SLAY : SLEDGEHAMMER
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:17:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I think that's the point. A sledge is for striking. It isn't a claw hammer & it has no peening head, nor a chipping head. Both sides are built just to strike. I've seen some definitions that say a sledgehammer has a long handle, but I've always called my short-handled 3 pounder a sledge.
Now. . . where do I draw the line between sledges & mallets? I probably would call anything with a metal head a sledge & a soft [plastic, rubber, leather, wood] head a mallet.
Jim
My Dad always said "Don't force it get a bigger hammer" ! Funny How some threads take off for a good laff!