What is a SLEDGE?

Yep, single jack = one man double jack = 2 men

Double used a much heavier sledge than did single.

Having used single jack to break rocks in concrete (when my carbide bits won't go through) using single jack, I for sure wouldn't want to try earning my living that way.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I stand corrected. But I was right that it WAS a drilling contest.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Happy to hear that you are not one of those " Girley Men". Des

Reply to
Des Perado

But I see your question of what is a 'jack' has not been answered. I too would like to know how it came about.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Main Entry: 1jack Pronunciation: 'jak Function: noun Etymology: Middle English Jacke, familiar term of address to a social inferior, nickname for Johan John

1 a : MAN -- usually used as an intensive in such phrases as every man jack b often capitalized : SAILOR c (1) : SERVANT, LABORER (2) : LUMBERJACK
Reply to
avoidspam