What is a "secial service tool"?

Page 2 of 2
On 04/05/12 5:08 PM, gonjah wrote:

...and I was kidding.
On 4/5/2012 8:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah. I got it later. :) I get into heated arguments then come back to friendly banter but I'm still in fight mode. My bad.
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 09:44:18 -0700, Molly Brown wrote:

Certainly not. To me, a "special service tool" is a one-off tool needed to service a particular device (or range of related devices) from a manufactuer, and is usually only available from that manufacturer (and at great expense).
Of course quite often it's possible to make something that will do the same task (e.g. I seem to recall a special tool for installing the stainless still windshield trim on Triumph cars; the accepted 'creative' solution was to cut three of the four tines of an old fork and bend the remaining one into the necessary shape - it worked just as well)
cheers
Jules
harry wrote:

The most common "special purpose tool" that comes to mind is the wrench that fits the five-sided valve atop a fire plug.
Me (According to my wife).
On 4/6/2012 9:19 AM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

You're just a tool. ;)
"gonjah" <gonjah.net> wrote in message

................ AND can be replaced at ANY time. And don't forget that, Bucko!
Steve ;-)

Nah She really like my cooking.
"gonjah" <gonjah.net> wrote in message

I know And I cook too...
On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 09:44:18 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

Advertisers like to use big words for a common item to make them seem more important, and in the end get their hands on your money. If a standard torque wrench works, use it. Otherwise that compamy will have to manipulate your wallet, and probably in a big way. Specialty tools are always overpriced.
On 4/7/2012 10:00 PM, snipped-for-privacy@otmale.com wrote:

Really. A specialty tool could mean an allen wrench. :)
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:24:12 -0500, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

A hammer is a specialty tool. It's specialty is pounding in nails. Do you know any other hand tool that does that? (power tools not included).

For electricians 9" linesman's pliers are a hammer and a prybar. A rock could hammer nails also though any tool not meant to hammer nails would be called a hammer.
On 04/08/12 4:10 PM, Cliff Hartle wrote:

Huh? "...any tool not meant to hammer nails would be called a hammer"
Wow, I've sure got a s-load of hammers in my workshop.

oops A rock could hammer nails also though any tool not meant to hammer nails wouldn't be called a hammer.
I don't know if I made it any better, must have been drunk. :-)
On 4/7/2012 11:24 PM, gonjah wrote:

I had to install some point of sale credit card terminals with screens that you use the attached plastic pen to electronically sign your name. The mounting screws had a custom cut tamper resistant Torx like head and a special unique driver bit that the customer kept in the store safe. If you shatter a bit, it must be ordered from the manufacturer of the fasteners by the part number assigned to the store chain. Total pain in the posterior region of your body to deal with those horrible things. o_O
TDD