What is a "mailbox house"?

Page 2 of 2

I don't know for sure, but I would interpet that as one of the starter ranch cookie cutters that were common as dirt a few decades ago- a single story ranch with no bumpouts, a single ridge roof, about the proportions of a rural mailbox. Modern equivilant would be a peaked-roof double-wide, aka 'modular' ranch house.
And not all mailboxes were dome-top, by the way. For many years, making the mailbox look like the house with a pitched roof was considered cute. This was to differentiate rural subdivisions from the 'farmer' style mailboxes.
aem sends...