What is a Kiosk?

I dont know if this is on topic or not because I am not sure what they are? I heard the term used for those in store self serve photo developing machines but have seen it used other ways too. What is it? Is this just another of those buzz words or is it an actual "thing"?

Reply to
anoldfart2

Look in a f****ng dictionary.

Reply to
Dan C

ki·osk (k¶"¼sk", k¶-¼sk") n. 1. A small open gazebo or pavilion. 2. A small structure, often open on one or more sides, used as a newsstand or booth. 3. A cylindrical structure on which advertisements are posted.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

-> I dont know if this is on topic or not because I am not sure what they

-> are? I heard the term used for those in store self serve photo

-> developing machines but have seen it used other ways too. What is it?

-> Is this just another of those buzz words or is it an actual "thing"?

Kiosk has been used to refer to a number of things. One example is the little booth at the self-serve gas station where you pay for your gas. You can't go inside. You stand outside and pay.

I believe it was used first in Europe, and we just borrowed the word.

Joseph's definition was best.

That computer thing is something I've never heard of before. Doesn't mean it isn't right also, though.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Depends on what its about. You can have a photo-presentation program on your computer running in kiosk-mode.. Meaning you can see the pictures but no buttons to interact. A kiosk means, I gues, something you can look at but cannot change... I guess what you refferring at is that you can choose on the machine how many photo's you want and what format without actually changing parameters which should be handled by qualified personell...

Ronald

Reply to
Ronald van der Panne

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:32:48 GMT "Joseph Meehan" posted:

Ah, the dictionary! What an idea!

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

It's something a business does to:

1) not hire another person but instead "invest" in electronics 2) basically the use of a shared computer in some prefabricated melamine enclosure A) allows you to a) find gifts for those with a wedding registry b) print duplicate photos from originals c) purchase gift certificates of buy that stores goods on-line
Reply to
ng_reader

Thanks to all that replied (except those using vulgar words). I also heard the ATM (and other) cash machines at banks and other public places are called kiosks. Apparently this is a modern word because my older dictionary does not contain it.

Reply to
anoldfart2

Gee, if you'd DAGS on "kiosk dictionary" you'd have gotten 112K hits. Looking through those would have kept you from stimulating vulgar words (tsk, tsk) by laziness.

Then go to amazon and pull plastic for a modern dictionary if the above is a problem.

TTFN, J

Reply to
barry

NOT, Bozo. Your really are an invalid old fart.

Reply to
G Henslee

*Yawn*

Dumbass!

Reply to
Ronald van der Panne

I'm going to have to qualify that as a free standing structure as well.

There is a bustling business selling Kiosks, and it involves my company as well, so I *do* have some knowledge.

Reply to
ng_reader

You don't think that's the right thing to do?

Who's the dumbass here?

Reply to
Dan C

*PLONK*
Reply to
anoldfart2

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:31:44 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com posted:

Things are not always as they appear. Merriam-Websters Ninth New Collegiate dates the word in English to 1625. The use of kiosk to refer to a small structure in a shopping mall only became common after there were shopping malls.

The use of kiosk to mean a photographic machine or an ATM may catch on, but for now it is a misunderstanding of what the word means. Kiosk refers to the structure and not to what is, once was, or could have been put in the structure.

There are some food recipes called filled or stuffed, in which only the filling is served some or most of the time, and not what the filling was meant to be stuffed into. Yet the original name of the recipe is retained. "Stove-top stuffing" is probably one example, at least when not stuffed into anything. Somehow, I think that is more reasonable, because it is the particular recipe of the stuffing that was considered worth notice.

In the case of an ATM kiosk, it is the entryway, inside the main door but before the second set of doors that lead to a bank, that is the kiosk**. Even that is probably metaphoric, because it's not really a structure. It's the bank building with an extra set of inside doors that can be locked to allow people access to the ATM's but not into the bank, after closing hours. But if one can't find a separate room or at least something to *call* a structure, it's an ATM, not a kiosk.

**ATMs mounted in the outside wall of a bank are not kiosks and are not in kiosks.

Maybe there were some early appearance of photo machines that were in kiosks, but I myself didn't see one. Until a substantial percentage of the population uses kiosk to mean a free-standing photo machine or ATM, it's just commercial-speak, argot, shop lingo, or a figure of speech, and not within a standard English definition.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

"Old invalid fart"

Perfect handle. Plonk me too you moron.

Reply to
G Henslee

That would be called an airlock. Not a kiosk. I understand the term as a structure of some sort also. In retail businesses, one would expect to pay for their purchase in a "point of sale" system, such as at best buy or Circuit City, at a payment kiosk. usually assisted by a sales person of some kind, often called something entirely different such as "associate" or "advisor". The word kiosk does in fact describe the structure that is used to house the terminal used for that transaction. Not the terminal, not the location in the store or anything else. There is no ATM in it usually either. However, the "advisor" or "associate" may , at some time during the transaction ask if you would like "cash back" at which time you fall into a deep coma and are rendered helpless and must be taken from the store in an ambulance, due to trauma caused by the rather lengthy transaction that was made "simple" by some over indulgent accountant who is sleeping with a major decision maker high up in the corporate structure in the publicly owned company that thinks that the idiots who are running the company are making "sound decisions" based on years and years of research and experience.

ATM's mounted inside are not kiosks, unless they are free standing structures such as one out in the middle of the walkway of the mall, limiting the ability of even the wisest of pedestrians to form a line to the right allowing smooth traffic flow. The fashion in which an ATM is presented may be many different types. Kiosk is just one of them.

As with much of the current culture of money makers, the word itself is not important. It is more important to use it to carve your own niche in common language using misspelled or partial words to label your product, process or place. Common knowledge is becoming more important to the current US culture than correctness. This is how different countries are born isn't it?

( not trying to hammer on anyone, I just started where I last read , and felt the need to elaborate.) no offense Mr Meirman.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®