What is a good temporary coating for extension cord joints

One of the many advantages of the stretch wrap that I use is that no tape or tie wraps are needed.

Since it sticks to itself when stretched, nothing else is needed to hold it in place.

With nothing holding it in place except its own properties, it makes removal much easier also.

In addition, it can be used to secure cords (or light strings) to poles, railings or anything else that you can wrap it around.

It's also much cheaper than Saran Wrap or any other kitchen wrap.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We've heard some of your other ideas so we'll give that one the credit it deserves.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

re: "...and gfci's don't work outside"

Actually, they work very well outside, if used for their intended purpose.

Based on what you said, these must be for inside use only:

DerbyDad03

What do you consider to be stretch wrap?

There are several brands of transparent wrap, and unlike aluminum foil or waxed paper, each has different qualities.

So it's nothing that is sold for the kitchen. So what are you talking about? What is the brand name? Where is it sold?

Reply to
mm

  • * *

I included an image link in my earlier post.

This is the same material used to wrap pallets for shipping.

***

Right.

This is the same material used to wrap pallets for shipping.

That probably depends on where you buy it.

I didn't include a link to a specific source since it is available from many places, including (probably) the borgs and most moving supply companies, e.g. U-Haul, etc.

Here's a link to a couple of Harbor Freight options.

I have a roll of the "hand held" version that I use for all sorts of wrapping needs, including the junctions of outdoor extension cords used for holiday decorations.

I have a large odd-shaped item in my gargage that I wanted to protect with a moving blanket. With my daughter holding the blanket in place, I used the stretch wrap in a couple of strategic locations and the blanket hasn't moved in years.

A former hobby required me to use a number of ratchet tie downs. I don't need them very often now, so instead of keeping them in the bucket where they tend to get all tangled up, I rolled up each set, wrapped them in the stretch wrap and put them in small box until they're needed.

If you've over stuffed your plastic storage bin and the top keep popping off, run some strech wrap around it the top'll stay in place forever.

Once you start using, it, you'll keep finding more uses for it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So it's nothing that is sold for the kitchen. So what are you talking about? What is the brand name? Where is it sold?

-------------

He's talking about plastic wrap that is used by the shipping industry to wrap pallets and skids and boxes with. The average Joe can get wrap like that at Staples and the like, even larger Post Offices or moving places that selling shipping supplies. But it's sold in like 1000 foot quantities. If you work for a company that has a shipping deptment you can get it there if you ask your co-worker.

The stuff I use is kitchen food wrap that clings to one side of the plastic. However I'm in Cold Canada where the cold weather can make any plastic wrap or film unclingy so I use really good quality electrical tape to ensure the wrap stays in place in case kids or dogs trip on my cords, etc. Usually winter around my house the snow and ice will stay on the ground for 20- 30 days at a time, melt, then come back and stay another 30 days. There was one winter where it stayed for 104 days straight. I'd had no fears about water seeping in thru kitchen wrap plastic.

I don't use the tape around the plugs cause the adhesive messes things up and sticks to stuff. It's like mucky glue.

Because I work in a warehouse for a living I can get DerbyDad's wrap for free and I might try it next year.

Reply to
The Henchman

re: "...and gfci's don't work outside"

Actually, they work very well outside, if used for their intended purpose.

Based on what you said, these must be for inside use only:

------------------------------

There are outdoor rated (CSA and UL) GFCI's and there are properly rated covers for them too.

You can also use GFCI breakers at the panel box for such a purpose however these are costly. For example I have a 220 volt/7.5 amp swimming pool plug that I could not find a properly rated outdoor gfci outlet for. When I changed my panel box this summer, the Electrician said they are not available in Ontario and I had to pay $145 for the breaker (2 pole).

OUCH!

Reply to
The Henchman

I used the stretch wrap this year for my Christmas lights and we went through all sorts of weather from snow to thaw to rain and none of the connections had an issue. I had one connection where a 3-way adaptor was plugged into the end of an extension cord but only 2 of the receptables was being used. This connection was lying on top of the bushes and got covered in snow a couple of times and also rained upon.

I think I would have known if there was an issue since my GFCI has tripped in the past due to unprotected extension cord junctions.

For Halloween I used an extension cord that has a junction box and a duplex receptacle on the end. I stretch-wrapped the whole mess and it sat in the rain for days and never tripped the GFCI.

re: "I don't use the tape around the plugs cause the adhesive messes things up and sticks to stuff. It's like mucky glue."

That's what makes the stretch wrap so convenient. It only sticks to itself and once stretched it seals very, very well.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: But it's sold in like 1000 foot quantities

Yeah, but for only $7.99!

I spent less than that on my roll and it has lasted a long time although now that I'm finding more and more uses for it, I'll need to get new one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I recently came across these things. They are weatherproof gaskets for outdoor electrical connections. I use them and they work great. I've had them sit in puddles of water for days without tripping GFCIs. You might check them out.

charlesdlacey

I recently came across these things. They are weatherproof gaskets for outdoor electrical connections. I use them and they work great. I've had them sit in puddles of water for days without tripping GFCIs. You might check them out.

charlesdlacey

A mitt-full of grease.

Reply to
clare

$5.99 for package of 5, but then it says $0.30/pack. What is the scoop?

Reply to
taxed and spent

As long as we're reopening a 5 year old thread, I'll play along...

When I was in the USCG in AK, we sometimes had to repair the cables for the runway lights. We had these kits that contained a 2 piece rubber case, rubber bushings to seal the ends and a tube of sealant, almost like roofing tar.

We'd repair the break in the cable, clamp the case over the repair and then inject the sealant which would eventually cure around the break.

Almost like a healed broken bone, the repair site was stronger than the original cable.

For Painted Cow:

USCG - United States Coast Guard AK - Alaska

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Save your money. Buy a box of 100 vinyl gloves and some zip ties from Harbor Freight. Fold the cord ends over each other, slip a glove over the plug/receptacle and secure it with a zip tie. Position the glove "fingers up" and let it rain.

I do this at Halloween and Christmas and have never had a GFCI trip.

A power strip can be covered with a plastic box with some weight on top so it doesn't blow away. One extension cord to a "hub location" and then multiple cords from there.

Something like this...

DerbyDad03

I've had an extension cord sit on pavement and on the grass and sometimes under a foot of snow for years, probably 10 years by now, with no protection at all without tripping a GFI. Maybe once it tripped, but that could have happened because of the 4 indoor receptacles on the same breaker.

When I pick up the cord, unless it's quite dry, I put my hand a yard from the end, just in case, but I've never gotten even a tingle.

I can't call it a connection because whatever would be plugged in, I take in at night, although I've probably had a radio plugged in a few clear non-winter nights.

Reply to
Micky

I've done nothing for years and the GFI has not tripped.

I've had an extension cord sit on pavement and on the grass and sometimes under a foot of snow for years, probably 10 years by now,

==> and under heavy rain too. 10/365/24 whatever the weahter is.

with no protection at all without tripping a GFI. Maybe once it tripped, but that could have happened because of the 4 indoor receptacles on the same breaker.

When I pick up the cord, unless it's quite dry, I put my hand a yard from the end, just in case, but I've never gotten even a tingle.

I can't call it a connection because whatever would be plugged in, I take in at night, although I've probably had a radio plugged in a few clear non-winter nights.

Reply to
Micky

Reply to
hrhofmann

I'm going to report you to the society for prevention of cruelty to exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren posted for all of us...

Is this a guy, a girl, or an it? I have seen you refer to it as both so I am cornfused.

Reply to
Tekkie®