What is a good solvent to remove permanent marker on plastic?

Page 1 of 2

The kids scribbled on a plastic outdoor item and I'm amazed the permanent marker hasn't been removed by the alcohol nor by the gasoline soaked rag.
What's a good solvent to remove permanent marker on outdoor plastic?
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 8:32 am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

When you say "alcohol", do you mean ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:37:32 -0700 (PDT), mike wrote:

Ethyl. But I will try isopropyl. I didn't think it mattered which type.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 8:55 am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Before you try harsher chemicals, make a paste with baking soda and a high concentration (70%-90%) isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and scrub the plastic with this paste.
Add pictures here
✖
Years ago, I marked my name on the back of a workman's bump cap. To my disapointment, the ink got into the plastic, and totally refused to completely wipe out.
Other than alcohol or gasoline, the next tries might be mineral spirits paint thinner, or finger nail polish remover. Please try a small bit on a cotton swab, so you don't melt the whole plastic item by accident.
Outdoors, fresh air, not while smoking, not while using hair dryer in bath tub, operating bulldozer with guards removed, or cutting electrical cords with hedge trimmer. Usual safety rules apply.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:43:39 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I know nail polish remover is acetone, so I will try that (but I don't have a lot of it; I just have a tiny bottle).
I think I can get paint thinner easily at OSH, but what chemical is "mineral spirits"?
Is it a mineral with alcohol?
Add pictures here
✖
in message ---
Add pictures here
✖
Most paint thinners are "mineral spirits". I think mineral spirits is a very old name. A quart at Walmart set you back about six bucks. Rather flammable.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Mineral spirits are the same as paint thinner but has been refined a bit more and has less odor. Both are petroleum products. Turpentine is used similarly but is made from pine tree resin, not petroleum. None have alcohol.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I am surprised nobody has said WD40
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/13/2010 11:32 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

I would try acetone but make sure you check a spot first because, if plastic is something like PVC, it might dissolve. You could also try bleach.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 May 2010 11:49:45 -0400, Frank wrote:

Bleach? I'll try (I have plenty of that handy); but I thought bleach was an oxidizer, not a solvent.
Worth a try though ...
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/13/2010 11:59 AM, Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Yes. The concern is that solvent in the marker plasticized the surface allowing the dye to penetrate. Would make it difficult to remove with solvent which is why I suggest bleach to de-colorize. If carbon black, may be impossible to remove except by buffing it out.
Just yesterday, I was showing my wife how to remove stains from a plastic cutting board with bleach as nothing she had tried was working. Works best by soaking or leaving wet for a while.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 10:32 am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

You tried alcohol a different type wont help, Laquer thinner may help but if its in the plastic maybe not. google for soultions, google still works.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

it out with bleach (which may still weaken it), I suspect any solvent that will work, will leave the plastic in a fragile state with a rough surface. They make spray-paints for plastic. Just out of curiosity, what is it? If it something dirt-cheap like a plastic chair, I'd just demote it to far-backyard use and forget about it.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

What part of "permanent marker" do you find confusing?
It's highly unlikely that any solvent will remove permanent marker from plastic without damaging the plastic. You might try naphtha (lighter fluid), but if gasoline didn't work, that probably won't either. Acetone or lacquer thinner may remove the marks, but they're almost sure to harm the plastic as well.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 11:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

In fact the marker may have etched into the surface of the plastic, making it impossible to remove. Yep, permanent.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 11:47 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

hurt any of it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

Goof Off
Add pictures here
✖
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/What-is-a-good-solvent-to-remove-permanent-marker-on-plastic-441641-.htm DA wrote:
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Assuming it's Sharpie you are talking about, non-acetone nail polish remover should work and still be safe for the plastic, especially considering it's an outdoor item. If the surface is not too porous, 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol with some light rubbing should also work and is guaranteed to be safe for the plastic. Good luck! ------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
--
| Delivered via http://www.homeownershub.com |