What is a good remote level gauge for above-ground home heating oil tank?

An octogenarian friend of mine, in another state, has an above ground 350 gallon tank of home heating oil that is filled about once a month in the winter.
The widow lives alone and simply asked me about how to read the tank from inside the house. I have propane, so my RD3 tools don't seem to work on kerosene tanks.
Do you have any suggestions for me to research that you have found work well?
On 10/11/2016 6:21 PM, Algeria Horan wrote:

She have a sight line to the tank? A float indicator can be attached that just watch the flag on it.
OTOH, float level switches that could be mounted in side of tank start as cheaply as the $15 range; one would need the associated cabling, power, etc., to make use of the switch contact of course...I'm presuming you'd be a volunteer in that regards???
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:42:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

Thanks for trying to help out.
Apparently the tank is 275 gallons (or thereabouts) and it's above ground and it has a cover of some sort that negates using a stick to plumb it.
In addition, it apparently has some sort of "sonar" sensor that somehow transmits to the house the level but it's apparently not working.
It's a thousand miles away so I asked the neighbor to snap a photo and send it to me for the lady (who isn't technical).
I was hoping to just buy her something that screws in and tells her iPhone what the level is.

The neighbor's husband will probably put it in for us whatever we figure out. He's gonna snap a photo for me, I hope soon.
On 10/12/2016 02:35 AM, Algeria Horan wrote:

My guess would be dead batteries. Her fuel oil dealer should be able to replace them.
Put an hour running time meter on the burner. The nozzle tells you the burn rate. With a little math you can set up a chart. So many hours equals so many gallons burned equals so many gallons left. M
On 10/11/2016 9:35 PM, Algeria Horan wrote: ...

Well, that's a whole different kettle o' fish if it is already instrumented...she just needs to get a tech out and repair what's already there.
It may be as simple as another noted as batteries altho I'd presume that wouldn't have been the only power source it's possible...
On 10/11/16 6:21 PM, Algeria Horan wrote:

to be near the tank. A search for remote fuel level gauge turned up stuff like this: http://www.fuelminder.biz/ A search on Amazon turned up this: <https://www.amazon.com/Beckett-Rocket-17000-Wireless-Monitor/dp/B014MX4BG4/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid 76232578&sr=8-13&keywords=remote+fuel+level+gauge> or http://alturl.com/gciqt
On 10/11/16 6:21 PM, Algeria Horan wrote:

The local farmers coops offer them in Nebraska. My parents would sign up putting the burden on the supplier to keep track.
On 10/11/16 10:50 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

One can't off-load the burden of responsibility for something like that to someone else. Your tank? You're responsible for keeping it filled. Period.
If it runs dry, you, your pipes, and your chickens all freeze. The minimum wage clerk at the coop who neglected to send the tanker truck out or failed to confirm the delivery stays warm and wouldn't know it happened and wouldn't care if he did.
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Oh contrare, fuel oil dealers do this all the time. They use degree days and things like computers to map usage so they can deliver a minimum of 150 gals.
Sounds like she already has a suitable gauge already, just needs it to be repaired. If she has a service contract it may be covered. Fuel oil dealers usually are inexpensive, as it goes.
--
Tekkie