What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

Page 1 of 2

Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)?
With your help, I've solved the home carbonation problem and now endeavor to replace the "cola kick" that is so addictingly pervasive in corporate colas.
I've tried carbonated lemon juice but find the visceral kick isn't as satisfying as that of a store-bought cola.
In a previous thread, folks mentioned the "caffeine", or "high-fructose corn syrup" (aka HFCS) might be the ingredients in the manufactured colas which provide that addictively satisfying kick ... hence my endeavor to find a home kitchen cola recipe.
As for ingredients, it seems two no brainers are the caffeine powders and the HFCS, both of which appear to be mail orderable if not in the local stores, however, this open source recipe for homemade cola (licensed under the GNU General Public License) doesn't seem to use either: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola * 2.00 mL olive oil * 3.50 mL orange oil * 1.00 mL lemon oil * 1.00 mL nutmeg oil * 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil * 0.25 mL coriander oil * 0.25 mL neroli oil (similar to petitgrain, bergamot, or bitter orange oil) * 2.75 mL lime oil * 0.25 mL lavender oil * 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener) * 3.00 mL water
Which is the "essential" ingredient in the above that gives it the satisfying cola kick you find in store-bought colas? (Note: Snopes thinks it the leaf ... http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp )
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

Actually, I found LOTS of home made cola recipes (I should have googled more extensively before I asked for a home made cola recipe). http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/makesoda.html http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wordpress/2008/01/19/homemade-cola-recipe / http://coffeetea.about.com/od/sodas/Soda_Recipes.htm http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/59/Homemade-Cola78603.shtml http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harper/BEVERAGES/Homemade_Cola.html http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2004-12-01/Brew-Soda-at-Home.aspx http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/209201/homemade_soda_recipes.html etc.
The main problem with these homemade cola soda forumulas is they all seem to have quite a variety of presumably hard-to-find ingredients, petit grain, coriander oil, coco, phosphoric acid, caffeine (legal limit is 65mg/12oz = http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/13 ), dried lavender flowers, cola nuts, star anise, citric acid, etc..
What's useful is to find a single supplier for the various ingredients, yet, perhaps, what's more interesting is to figure out what the secret ingredient is that give it the essential mind-numbing bite.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo

If you google soda syrups you can buy it premade fairly cheep. Maybe even buy pepsi/coke syrups direct from a local beverage distributor. Or if you have a friend who runs a bar/restaurant have them get you the real thing.
Elmo wrote:

Well, honey and HFCS have almost identical sugar profiles (approx. 55% fructose, 45% dextrose), so that might be a good start*. Add caffeine, caramel color, and carbonation and you're almost there.
And don't forget some form of sodium, so it makes you thirstier instead of quenches.
Bob
--
*I know honey is pure and good, and HFCS is evil. It's not my fault
they are essentially the same thing.

Are you wearing your magical underpants right now? Of course you are.

--Bryan
On Apr 11, 3:26pm, Elmo <dcdraftwo...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

What can you make with dog poop?
--Bryan

My guess would be the nutmeg:
<http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_info3.shtml
Nutmeg can be used as a psychedelic.
And no, I've never tried it. <g>
I've only ever used it as a a spice in sausage ingredients, or grated lightly over eggnog.
--
Peace! Om

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet
Elmo wrote: ...

Whatever is the real thing, it certainly ain't the corn sugar; that's a relatively recent replacement for only because it's cheaper by far...oldsters will claim the switch actually makes the beverage less palatable.

Nobody can open a bottle of "Kick" and taste it to see what Elmo was referring to in the OP. It's not the leaf as suggested in at least one of the replies. It's not the corn sugar. It's the co2. Drink your beverage flat (uncarbonated). Then drink your bev erage highly carbonated (use the Fizz Giz from FizzGiz.com to kick it up a notch). Decide if the difference you notice is what you referred to as kick. Quickest way to remove all carbonation from any commercial soda product is to heat it to steaming, stir, allow to cool then refrigerate. That will flatten a soda in nothing flat.
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo

Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent. That's the way they did it on tv.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:28:08 -0400, mm wrote:

Here, for posterity, are some of the cola recipes I found today. I'm not sure which one to pick because many use exotic ingredients. I want simple; but with a kick.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola * 2.00 mL olive oil * 3.50 mL orange oil * 1.00 mL lemon oil * 1.00 mL nutmeg oil * 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil * 0.25 mL coriander oil * 0.25 mL neroli oil * 2.75 mL lime oil * 0.25 mL lavender oil * 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener) * 3.00 mL water
http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm 1 oz Citrate Caffeine     30 lbs. Sugar 3 oz Citric Acid     4 oz fluid extract from cocoa leaves 1 oz Ext. Vanilla     2.5 gal.Water 1 Qt. Lime Juice     Caramel - sufficient 2.5 oz Flavourings where you choose one of those below: 80 drops Oil Orange     40 drops Oil Cinnamon 120 drops Oil Lemon     20 drops Oil Coriander 40 drops Oil Nutmeg     40 drops Oil Neroli 1 Qt Alcohol
http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/cola/chemistry/cola2.htm 2.4 kg Sugar, dissolved in the minimum of water     3.1 g Caffeine 37 g Caramel     11 g Phosphoric Acid 1.1 g Decocainized Coca Leaf     0.37 g Kola Nuts 30 g Lime Juice     19 g Glycerine (vegetarian) 1.5 g Vanilla Extract      Flavourings (7X formula): 0.88 g (1.032 ml) Lemon Oil     Trace Lavender Oil 0.47 g (0.557 ml) Orange Oil     Trace Neroli Oil 0.20 g (0.190 ml) Cassia Oil     4.9 g 95% Alcohol 0.07 g (0.077 ml) Nutmeg Oil     2.7 g (2.7 ml) Water Trace Coriander Oil
http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wordpress/2008/01/19/homemade-cola-recipe / # Zest of 2 oranges # Zest of 2 limes # Zest of 1 lemon # 2 pinches of ground cinnamon # 2 pinches of ground nutmeg # 1 points of a star anise (crushed) # 1/2 teaspoon of dried lavender flowers # 1/2 teaspoon cola nuts (crushed V mortar & pestle may be required. WARNING! Cola nuts can be dangerous and are known to be carcinogenic, use at your own risk -Wiki Article) # 10g stem ginger # 1/3 vanilla pod with the seeds scraped out and added as well # 1/4 teaspoon citric acid
http://coffeetea.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=coffeetea&cdn=food&tm &1&f&tt&bt=0&bts=0&st#&zu=http%3A//recipecircus.com/recipes/Harper/BEVERAGES/Almost_Coke.html 2 T Sugar 1 t Vanilla 1/4 t Cinnamon 1 t Bottled Lime Juice 1 C Club Soda
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/59/Homemade-Cola78603.shtml 1/4 cup cold black coffee 2 teaspoons Lipton instant lemon-tea powder 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon sugar or artificial sweetener 1/2 pinch black pepper Club soda
http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm 1/4 c. cold black coffee 2 t. Lipton instant lemon-tea powder 1/8 t. vanilla extract 1 level t. sugar or artificial sweetener few grains of black pepper
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html 32 fluid ounces caramel 32 fluid ounces lime juice 16 fluid ounces glycerin 12 fluid ounces 95% alcohol 12 fluid ounces Cola Flavor Base (recipe below) Caffeine solution (2 ounces caffeine in 10 fluid ounces water) 2 fluid ounces vanilla extract
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harper/BEVERAGES/Homemade_Cola.html 1/4 C cold black coffee 2 t Lipton instant lemon-tea powder 1/8 t vanilla extract 1 level t sugar or artificial sweetener few grains of black pepper
etc.
It's amazing the list of ingredients in these open source colas! I wonder which are the key ingredients that give coca cola its kick???
Elmo wrote:

Have oyu tried the Torani's cola syrup? mix with carbonated water. -- JL

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the nearest grocery or convenience store and buy what you think tastes good??????
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

(a) It wouldn't be much fun and certainly I'd learn nothing from it ...
(b) It would cost $1.50 a bottle + 10 cents CRV lost to the city ...
(c) Doing it myself costs 5 cents a bottle in total & I learn something.
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:35:19 +0000 (UTC), Elmo

Commercial soda fountains typically deliver 320 'cans' of soda per 5 gallon syrup box.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

He doesn't spell it out much, but he has the concept right. You are reinventing the wheel, for something you can painlessly buy cheaper than you can recreate it. Buy a used 4-tap soda machine, some bags of syrup, and the tall pressure vessels that add fizz to the water. Like buying beer in kegs, for a fraction of the price per glass than 24-can cases cost. Any prepackaged drink, the container, convenience, and shipping, costs more than the contents.
Mind you, I do understand the impulse to see if you can reverse-engineer it on your own. But don't delude yourself, or attempt to delude SWMBO, that it will save any money, or taste better. It is therapy, and a lot safer than a red convertible and a 20 YO to go with it.
--
aem sends...

-snip some good points-

I don't think getting a home brew to taste better than commercial soda should be a stretch. [though I prefer water- occasionally diluted with bourbon]

And cheaper. That's where the savings comes in. You can spend a lot of time & $$ on a project before it approaches the cost of a shrink, or a 20yr old or a new car.
Jim

Are you suggesting that the OP wants to cook up soda as a mid-life crisis thing?
Well, here is one approach:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola
Please note the warning about Gum Arabic.
Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Thanks for that. I found DaVinci Root Beer syrup at a store today, looking for the cola syrup which they didn't have.