What is a "cricket diverter"?

I have some water damage to a ceiling. The guy that put a new roof on 5 years ago admits that there were holes in the "cricket diverter behind the chimney" directly above the damage, but denies liability because:

1) His work carries no warranty, despite the written 10 year warranty 2) He did not put the holes in the cricket diverter, despite the fact that no one has been on the roof since him, and 3) The water did not come from the holes because the damage is not discolored.

He says the water damage is from condensation, eventhough it is 35' from any source of moisture and nothing that is not directly under the holes is damaged..

Excuse my venting; but what is a cricket diverter? A google search gave no hits. I thought maybe he just can't spell, but no other spelling of diverter works either.

Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

A Cricket Diverter is a little wooden path built to convince crickets they want to go in a different direction -- ergo the term "Cricket Diverter". :-P (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Now seriously -- a "Chimney Cricket" (also called a "saddle") is a small hump of sorts that is built behind a chimney. When water runs off the roof, towards the back of the chimney, it hits the chimney cricket and is redirected to either side of the chimney rather than having an opportunity to pool up behind the chimney, possibly resulting in a leak. I believe the primary use for this is actually preventing water, snow, and ice from building up back there as well. For pictures of a Chimney Cricket, go to

(I just did a quick search, I'm sure there are better pics out there). I doubt the term "Cricket Diverter" is the technical term but rather the term this contractor applies to the Chimney Cricket (makes sense -- it's called the cricket and diverts water so....).

I'm admittedly curious what his rationale would be for allowing holes in the chimney cricket unless they're just in the wood used to frame it but covered by copper or shingles.

Lastly, contact an attorney for appropriate advice, have one or more other contractors weigh in, then work with te attorney to determine whether or not to sue.

James

Reply to
JNJ

A cricket diverter is to divert the crickets you are giving your hack from reaching his ear. I dont know what your hack is refering to, but a

10 yr warranty is a 10 yr warranty unless spelled out differently in Writing.. It sounds like chimney flashing was improperly done. It should be cut into the chimney with a grinder than mortared in place, not tarred or caulked. I would get an other opinion on the Cricket and flashing, then " Hire " the hack to do it right , accept his bid then tell him to F. O. when payment is due . As it was part of his original job , and now his Cricket sh*t warranty.
Reply to
m Ransley

Never heard it called a "cricket diverter" before, just plain "cricket". Basically it is a structure built to prevent water running down a roof slope running into the side of a chimney, splashing wildly against it, and possibly causing a leak at that point. The cricket splits the flow to either side and into the gutters. Take a look at

and see if you have something that looks similar.

Reply to
John McGaw

You can read about such things at

but the thing you're wondering about is explained at the URL thusly:

"Where a mas "CRICKET: Small gable-like roof structure used to divert water and debris from intersection of sloping roof and chimney; also called a saddle."

If you need more, try Googling with "saddle" instead of "cricket."

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

If the flashing is aluminum, contact with mortar will make it corrode prematurely so it is probably better to use a cement made for the purpose to glue it into place in the ground in slot in the mortar.

place,

original

Reply to
Art Begun

Call him back. Don't ask him what a 'cricket diverter' is. Ask him if he has a lawyer, because you do, and he's going to need one.

That might change the answer you get.

Reply to
Dan Hartung

A cricket is sometimes called a saddle. It is a structure that is installed on the high side of a chimney which diverts water around the sides of the chimney so it can travel down the roof.

A lawyer would be unlikely to know that. :)

Steve Johns> > Excuse my venting; but what is a cricket diverter? A google search gave no

Reply to
Steven Johnson