What insectiside works on fruit flies?

I forgot about leaving banana peels in the garbage during the summer -- now there's jillions of fruit flies all over the place. I've tried both Raid and "Hot Shot" flying insect killer, but the flies just say "dude, got any more of that stuff?"

I remember as a kid (60's) we had a dish of pears and a cloud of fruit flies around it. There was this bug spray, don't remember what brand, all I remember is spraying one little spritz at them and seeing them instantly drop like, well, flies. Probably can't get stuff like that anymore.

Now I'm putting my banana peels in the freezer until garbage day...

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Crofarad

:) I forgot about leaving banana peels in the garbage during :) the summer -- now there's jillions of fruit flies all over :) the place. I've tried both Raid and "Hot Shot" flying :) insect killer, but the flies just say "dude, got any more :) of that stuff?"

None should be needed, just clean up the food source, if that was done they have a short life cycle so should come to the end of them in a couple of days. Or...any of the "foggers" will be a quick knock down for the ones flying about, but depending on how many of the maggots got to pupa stage may determine how many show up after you fog. Just keep their possible foods cleaned up for a few days.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Reply to
Lar

Make sure that you thoroughly clean out your garbage pail, detergent and water. Also, if this is in the kitchen, clean the counters and corners and any other surfaces. Then, if they are still around, you can use "traps": a jar with jelly in the bottom, or fruit, whatever. Leave it out for a while, check to see if you caught any if so, put a lid on it. You can add water to drown them.

I haven't had fruit flies for a long time (knock on wood), but I never had to use insecticides to get rid of them. In retrospect, maybe Lars is right, and my efforts didn't do much, they have a short life cycle :>

But you do have to get rid of anything in the vicinity that will attract or support them.

Curly Sue
040711 2056 - Mike Crofarad posted:

The "fruit flies" come into your abode as eggs on bananas, apples, pears, peaches, and sech. I usually put these things into the refrigerator right away. They last longer in there anyway, and when I want a peach or a plum, it is chilled and ready to enjoy. If you do throw the remains of a banana or peach into your garbage can in your house, you can follow up with some Raid Ant and Roach Killer. Just spray a little into the can. Anything that comes into contact with the residue of this spray won't last long. And don't leave opened beer and pop cans or bottles laying around after they have been used. Run some water into them and empty them out into the sink. Those "fruit flies" just love propagating in open, leftover beer cans. Just wash them out and put them into a plastic bag for disposal at the recycle center at the store.

Reply to
indago

-> 040711 2056 - Mike Crofarad posted:

->

-> > I forgot about leaving banana peels in the garbage during

-> > the summer -- now there's jillions of fruit flies all over

-> > the place. I've tried both Raid and "Hot Shot" flying

-> > insect killer, but the flies just say "dude, got any more

-> > of that stuff?"

-> >

-> > I remember as a kid (60's) we had a dish of pears and a

-> > cloud of fruit flies around it. There was this bug spray,

-> > don't remember what brand, all I remember is spraying one

-> > little spritz at them and seeing them instantly drop like,

-> > well, flies. Probably can't get stuff like that anymore.

Exactly what I was thinking!

[...]

They must be redneck fruit flies. ;-)

-> Just wash them out and put them into a plastic bag for _> disposal at the recycle center at the store.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Solution for fruit flies:

Roll a piece of paper into a cone with 1/4" hole at the bottom. Tape the edge.

Put a small bit of banana or other fruit, into the bottom of a clear plastic disposable cup. Put the cone, hole-end down, into the cup. Tape around the edges of the cup.

Now watch, as flies go in to find the fruit, and can't find the way out.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

I was going to suggest they not use an insecticide either. Why for a few fruit flies. Just get rid of the rotting fruit. How about thinking mulch? Takes a small part of your yard or garden and it pays you back.

We are coffee farmers and try really hard to prudent farmers as well.

aloha, Thunder

Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

-> Solution for fruit flies:

->

-> Roll a piece of paper into a cone with 1/4" hole at the bottom. Tape

-> the edge.

->

-> Put a small bit of banana or other fruit, into the bottom of a clear

-> plastic disposable cup. Put the cone, hole-end down, into the cup.

-> Tape around the edges of the cup.

->

-> Now watch, as flies go in to find the fruit, and can't find the way out.

Then put the cup outside for the hummingbirds. They just love fruit flies. In fact, a lot of people put bits of banana outside just for this purpose. Really.

Reply to
Suzie-Q