What I can and can't put in garbage disposer?

Page 2 of 2
I have never heard of egg shells being a problem and I have been doing it for fifteen years at our house and we have never experienced a problem that required a plumber. A couple of times the trap got filled with rice however that my wife put a whole bunch in at once. Even rice is not a problem if she does it slowly. I always make sure I leave water running for ten or so seconds after I put garbage in the disposal and if I put in a whole lot I may leave water running with disposer on for a minute or so. The link below may be helpful. --- Steve
http://www.insinkerator.com/disposers/dosndonts.shtml
Do's and Don'ts
The In-Sink-Erator Food Waste Disposer is one of America's most reliable appliances. However, here are a few simple hints that will keep it working smoothly for many, many years. a.. Do first turn on a moderate to strong flow of cold water and then turn on the disposer. b.. Do continue running cold water for 15 seconds after grinding is completed to flush the drain line. c.. Remember the drain line from your sink may run for 30 feet or more before it exits your home. d.. Do grind hard materials such as small bones, fruit pits, and ice. A scouring action is created by the particles inside the grind chamber. e.. Do use a disposer cleaner, degreaser, or deodorizer as necessary to relieve objectionable odors caused by build-up. Peelings from citrus fruits can also be ground to freshen up drain smells. f.. Don't fill disposer with a lot of vegetable peels all at once. Instead, turn the water and disposer on first, and then feed the peels in gradually. g.. Don't grind extremely fibrous materials like corn husks, artichokes, etc., to avoid possible drain blockage. h.. Don't pour grease or fat down your disposer, or any drain. It can build up in pipes and cause drain blockages. Put grease in a jar or can and dispose in the trash. i.. Don't use hot water when grinding food waste. It is OK to drain hot water into the disposer between grinding periods. j.. Don't turn off disposer until grinding is completed. If you plan not to use your sink or disposer for more than a month, slow down corrosion by flushing the disposer well with fresh water. Fresh water is less corrosive than soapy water and it will wash away any remaining food residue.

Egg shells are OK it you have a few or they are mixed with other garbage. If you have a dozen eggs it is probably best to toss them in the trash. Coffee grinds can be a problem in quantity also.
We have a disposal, but big bones, tea bags, coffee grounds, all go either on the compost pile or in the trash. Same with lobster or clam shells.
Shrimp shells are bad too
Stretch

potato peels and onion skins. Egg shells are OK
On Tue 13 Sep 2005 12:28:30a, Rudy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Week cook a lot of potatoes and use a lot of onions. I have never had a problem with either.
--
Wayne Boatwright **
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:38:25 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

The only time we had a problem with potato peels was the thanksgiving we moved into the house. The whole thing backed up. I pulled the trap apart[*], then proceeded to break the plastic nut where the trap goes into the wall. Since it was Thanksgiving...
Other that that, potato peels, onion skins, and egg shells all go down the disposall. ...sometimes, after an omelette, all together.
[*] The problem *could* have had something to do with the plastic knife found in wedged the trap. ;-)
Rudy wrote:

Raw artichoke stems, celery, and other things with tough fibers can cause problems. Paul in San Francisco