What I can and can't put in garbage disposer?

I have 3/4 HP In-Sink-Erator garbage disposer. A friend of mine told us that we shouldn't put egg shells and corn seals into the disposer. Why that? what else (food garbage) we cannot put into it?

Reply to
Sasha

ASSUMING your not a troll

Garbage disposals chop the stuff up. Removing the material is a function of the volume/pressure of the water and the size of the drain. I have seen 5 hp commercial units with 4 inch drains that I am pretty sure would grind anything that would go through the opening. Home units generally do not have the drain slope nor the volume of water that commercial units do.

Fibrous plants, celery, and lettuce are good bets to keep out of the disposal. My ex wife had the ability of clogging the one we had every week. I finally had enough and took it out. Took another 3 weeks for her to figure that one out. Ahhh 3 weeks of plumbing bliss.

I have not lead a sheltered life, I have never heard of a corn seal. A corn husk would be a definite no for most home garbage disposals.

I have a plumber friend that loves garbage disposals and the service calls they generate. He does not have one in his home

Reply to
SQLit

Body parts. Human or otherwise.

Reply to
G Henslee

Shrimp shells are bad too

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

This is Turtle.

If a gargage disposal was a great answer for getting rid of trash from the kitchen , you could get a gargage disposial and just cancel your garbage truck pick every week by the city. You can just grind up everything , paper bags, plastic cups, beer cans, broken china plates, and all the '' veggey cans '' you open during the year.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I have never heard of egg shells being a problem and I have been doing it for fifteen years at our house and we have never experienced a problem that required a plumber. A couple of times the trap got filled with rice however that my wife put a whole bunch in at once. Even rice is not a problem if she does it slowly. I always make sure I leave water running for ten or so seconds after I put garbage in the disposal and if I put in a whole lot I may leave water running with disposer on for a minute or so. The link below may be helpful. --- Steve

Do's and Don'ts

The In-Sink-Erator Food Waste Disposer is one of America's most reliable appliances. However, here are a few simple hints that will keep it working smoothly for many, many years. a.. Do first turn on a moderate to strong flow of cold water and then turn on the disposer. b.. Do continue running cold water for 15 seconds after grinding is completed to flush the drain line. c.. Remember the drain line from your sink may run for 30 feet or more before it exits your home. d.. Do grind hard materials such as small bones, fruit pits, and ice. A scouring action is created by the particles inside the grind chamber. e.. Do use a disposer cleaner, degreaser, or deodorizer as necessary to relieve objectionable odors caused by build-up. Peelings from citrus fruits can also be ground to freshen up drain smells. f.. Don't fill disposer with a lot of vegetable peels all at once. Instead, turn the water and disposer on first, and then feed the peels in gradually. g.. Don't grind extremely fibrous materials like corn husks, artichokes, etc., to avoid possible drain blockage. h.. Don't pour grease or fat down your disposer, or any drain. It can build up in pipes and cause drain blockages. Put grease in a jar or can and dispose in the trash. i.. Don't use hot water when grinding food waste. It is OK to drain hot water into the disposer between grinding periods. j.. Don't turn off disposer until grinding is completed. If you plan not to use your sink or disposer for more than a month, slow down corrosion by flushing the disposer well with fresh water. Fresh water is less corrosive than soapy water and it will wash away any remaining food residue.

"Sasha" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Nobody told him/her/them not to put _that_ in the disposal...

Reply to
G Henslee

How much longer will you be sporting the wrong time on your pc clock retardo? Oh, until you learn to tell time. I see...

Reply to
G Henslee

This is Turtle.

hummm thinking about Going back to New Orleans.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I understand that. I meant what food garbage I shouldn't put into garbage disposer.

Reply to
Sasha

This is Turtle.

I think a Plumber invented the Garbage disposial because of job security and always having a job.

What don't Go there !

If you got to grind it up to make it go down the drain, it don't belong there.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The only things I can think of that we don't put down ours are corn cobs and husks. It seems to do fine with most ofther stuff (round steak bones get noisey ;-).

Reply to
keith

A typical neo-con going around cussing instead of help folks here.

Reply to
Dave Jefford

Take off your underwear and look at your behind.

Reply to
Dave Jefford

FU h*mo...

Reply to
G Henslee

Read the f****ng owner's manual, dumbass.

Reply to
Dan C

Please do. At least you won't have internet access for a while.

Reply to
Dan C

Egg shells are OK it you have a few or they are mixed with other garbage. If you have a dozen eggs it is probably best to toss them in the trash. Coffee grinds can be a problem in quantity also.

We have a disposal, but big bones, tea bags, coffee grounds, all go either on the compost pile or in the trash. Same with lobster or clam shells.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Turtle, in your case you can just put an alligator under the sink drain--like the one on the Flintstones.

Reply to
lp13-30

potato peels and onion skins. Egg shells are OK

Reply to
Rudy