What I can and can't put in garbage disposer?

Page 1 of 2
I have 3/4 HP In-Sink-Erator garbage disposer. A friend of mine told us that we shouldn't put egg shells and corn seals into the disposer. Why that? what else (food garbage) we cannot put into it?

ASSUMING your not a troll
Garbage disposals chop the stuff up. Removing the material is a function of the volume/pressure of the water and the size of the drain. I have seen 5 hp commercial units with 4 inch drains that I am pretty sure would grind anything that would go through the opening. Home units generally do not have the drain slope nor the volume of water that commercial units do.
Fibrous plants, celery, and lettuce are good bets to keep out of the disposal. My ex wife had the ability of clogging the one we had every week. I finally had enough and took it out. Took another 3 weeks for her to figure that one out. Ahhh 3 weeks of plumbing bliss.
I have not lead a sheltered life, I have never heard of a corn seal. A corn husk would be a definite no for most home garbage disposals.
I have a plumber friend that loves garbage disposals and the service calls they generate. He does not have one in his home
Sasha wrote:

Body parts. Human or otherwise.

This is Turtle.
hummm thinking about Going back to New Orleans.
TURTLE
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:54:42 -0500, TURTLE wrote:

Please do. At least you won't have internet access for a while.
--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.
Turtle, in your case you can just put an alligator under the sink drain--like the one on the Flintstones.

Beside your body parts did you also dispose your dogs and cats too?

New born kittens go right down the disposal with ease. Be sure to flush with lots of water to get all the fur to go down.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

Hrumph. What a waste. They're excellent cooked in a red sauce and served over palenta.

Ex wife just dropped them in the toilet..!!

This is Turtle.
If a gargage disposal was a great answer for getting rid of trash from the kitchen , you could get a gargage disposial and just cancel your garbage truck pick every week by the city. You can just grind up everything , paper bags, plastic cups, beer cans, broken china plates, and all the '' veggey cans '' you open during the year.
TURTLE
I understand that. I meant what food garbage I shouldn't put into garbage disposer.
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:59:39 -0700, Sasha wrote:

The only things I can think of that we don't put down ours are corn cobs and husks. It seems to do fine with most ofther stuff (round steak bones get noisey ;-).
--
Keith

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:59:39 -0700, Sasha wrote:

Read the fucking owner's manual, dumbass.
--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.
Dan C wrote:

Nobody told him/her/them not to put _that_ in the disposal...

This is Turtle.
I think a Plumber invented the Garbage disposial because of job security and always having a job.
What don't Go there !
If you got to grind it up to make it go down the drain, it don't belong there.
TURTLE

A typical neo-con going around cussing instead of help folks here.
Dave Jefford wrote:

How much longer will you be sporting the wrong time on your pc clock retardo? Oh, until you learn to tell time. I see...

Take off your underwear and look at your behind.
Dave Jefford wrote:

FU homo...