What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 8 of 10
On 12/5/2015 11:22 PM, rbowman wrote:

hahaha! Here's one photo of a ballerina in her tutu:
http://babar.it/wp-content/uploads/imported/304.jpg
The tutu is the skirt like garment that is made of stiff netting that sticks out.
For a plateau, picture a flat decorated layer that rests on top of the netting similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/qga8a9m
This is what I did - made the decorated plateau of a principle ballerina's costume. Swan Lake was one of the ballets I did that for.
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 11:28 PM, Muggles wrote:

edit*: "Here's one photo of a ballerina tutu:"
I swapped photos and forgot to edit ^ this text.
--
Maggie

On 12/05/2015 10:28 PM, Muggles wrote:

Ah Swan Lake. That I know about :)
http://www.swanlakemontana.org/
The Garden City Ballet has been doing Nutcracker for the last thirty years of so. I've always managed to miss it. afaik, it's the only one they've ever done although I think they do outreach in the schools.
On 12/6/2015 2:55 PM, rbowman wrote:

When I worked at the ballet, I think I worked on about 5 or 6 different ballets before I left there. I do remember Swan Lake, and I also worked on costumes for the Nutcracker at least twice.
--
Maggie

On 12/02/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'd started using trekking poles. While they helped for a while I became concerned that they might be counterproductive by ultimately reducing the strength of the supporting musculature so I stopped using them for a while. I'll use them this winter but that will be for avoiding falls on icy trails rather than just habitually grabbing them.
On 12/3/2015 9:22 PM, rbowman wrote:

Last year I was very sick and lost all muscle tone in both legs, so starting around the middle of January this year I had to work to regain my legs back, and it's taken a while to get the muscle tone and strength back, but I hadn't worked as hard on strengthening my knees. I guess I thought they were fine, but this little injury was a wake-up call to pay more attention to them for sure.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

amino acid in our body) capsules or powder helps muscle recovery from fatigue.
On 12/3/2015 10:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Is that the same as taking Glucosamine/Condroitin?
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

On 12/5/2015 3:35 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I never took either class. I chose different science classes in high school.
--
Maggie

Sat, 05 Dec 2015 22:11:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

How do you get out of biology? That wasn't an optional course when I attended school. Chem1 wasn't optional, either...
--
Hey listen...
On your way back up, bring some popcorn...With salt.
Don Y wrote:

Costco, triple it. 1500mg figure is a result of Italian clinical test done in the early '80's. Ibuprofen kind pain reliever is bad for your bone. If pain is bad, try high quality Curamed, or Curamin. Specially processed curry powder. Very, Very effective. Over weight is bad news for hips, knees, the weight bearing bones...
I just had ultrasound scan done on all my limbs joints, result came out all good.

On 12/03/2015 04:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Tumeric capsules work for me. The generic tumeric from Swanson's is much less expensive than the Terry brand name. Boswellia and DLPA is also inexpensive if you want to throw that into the mix.
rbowman wrote:

going to India. Always high quality brand name supplement is a good bet. Nothing like you buy from Costo, Super market. So far world wide sale figure on this product alone is 3 billion $$. No detrimental side effect at all. Only some folks complain if taken in empty stomach, it bothers them just like eating hot pepper.
On 12/3/2015 8:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

Again, "works" in what way? Regrows hair? Controls body odor? Sexual stamina?
On 12/03/2015 10:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

Joint problems, knees specifically. Although in that context I meant that I prefer generic tumeric to a secret special blend of snake oil that sells for much more. I can't honestly say it works since I can't do a double blind controlled experiment on myself.
On 12/4/2015 8:28 AM, rbowman wrote:

It claims to improve these, how? Controlling pain? Lubricating surfaces? etc.

Exactly. That's the problem with all the supplements, dietary advice, etc. Given the efficacy of placebo effect on many individuals, it's hard to NOT claim that any self-reported effects are not "in their head".
I'm not keen on loading up with all sorts of odd substances because someone *thinks* they've noticed a correlation between its use and <whatever>. Especially when encountering those substances naturally in evolutionary terms would be so unusual.
E.g., I can see how red meat -- in the quantities that we presently consume it -- can be A Bad Thing: cuz our bodies didn't have the chance to consume it thusly. Likewise, how many folks can have problems with grains: given how recently (in evolutionary terms) we've accepted it into our diet.
We (eventually) hear of all these side-effects of Rx drugs. But, rarely hear reports of side-effects of these "uncontrolled" substances (that doesn't mean that there AREN'T any).
So, I try to invest my efforts in doing what *should* be natural (for a human organism). And, accept the concept that entropy is an unforgiving bitch! :>
On 12/04/2015 12:19 PM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/supplement-guide-turmeric
There are plenty of mights and maybes there to go around. otoh, there isn't the laundry list of side effects that go with many prescription drugs and tumeric is cheap. I sometimes use tumeric root in lieu of ginger in cooking but you don't see it often in the stores here.
On 12/4/2015 8:25 PM, rbowman wrote:

OTOH, has anyone ever *studied* potential side-effects?
What annoys me with much of medicine is how willy-nilly it appears to be! Ask a doctor why X "works" -- or, why Y doesn't -- and an HONEST doctor will typically say, "We don't know..." :<
And, the individual is ill-qualified to make an objective evaluation of the items/processes/recommendations in question. Placebo effect, lack of "controls", too small of a sample size (i.e., *1*), etc.
I have some annoying seasonal allergies -- primarily anything that's a plant! :> Historically, I'd more or less (thought!) I'd outgrown them as I aged. In hindsight, it was probably the differing environments (e.g., not much flora in beantown!)
Coming here, of course, is probably the worst situation as things are ALWAYS in bloom. So, if my allergy for X is subsiding, my allergy to Y is on the uptick.
Not keen on treating symptoms as you just pop pills endlessly. And, they all tend to be depressants of some sort.
Tried injections a few times when I was really bad (e.g., unable to breathe without distress). But, that's not a long term solution, either. (and, I think it's just a steroid)
Tried SLIT discipline a few years back (drops under tongue). Not a "medicine" but, rather, expose body to the allergens in an ever increasing concentration to (hopefully) build up a tolerance. Ongoing process -- you do it *forever* (potentially) to retain this desensitized state.
Apparently, the same receptors that cause your body to sense/react to the allergens are present under tongue. So, you can expose them to the allergens there (instead of in lungs, eyes, sinuses, etc.)
OK, that at least *seems* to have some rational basis!
Did this for a couple of years. Didn't "cure" me but SWMBO claims I complained far less (than I had about symptoms in other years).
Ah, but how much would I have "complained" had I not been taking them at all?? Perhaps those years would have been "mild" years for my allergies!
Quit a couple of years ago (expensive habit). Level of "complaints" didn't increase. Medical "explanation" is that my body had achieved a heightened level of tolerance to the allergens.
Until, recently -- started having stronger symptoms, again. Medical "explanation" (it's so hard not to bemusingly say "rationalization"!) is "your body's tolerance has worn off".
OK, that's also possible (I'm not an expert on human biology or immune responses so can't evaluate the BS content in those statments!)
Start up the routine, again. Write the monthly checks. Yet, despite what *appears* to be "sound reasoning", I'm always wondering if I'm just buying expensive snake oil...
OTOH, if the lack of symptoms is purely coincidence, I can afford to pay for that coincidence! ;-)
On 12/04/2015 10:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

The potential side effects of tumeric? Yeah, the Indians for a few thousand years. It tends to stain things yellow.
I understand what you're saying but for many things I don't see a downside. Garlic is supposed to have beneficial effects but I just like it. The way I slice up garlic and throw it into everything maybe it helps, maybe not. Fish oil? Salmon, sardines, herring, and tuna aren't safe around me whether or not it improves my lipid panels. Olive oil? You need something in the frying pan and I'm not a fan of rapeseed oil.
Where I get suspicious is with the branded products. Buy this SuperCumer that's prepared from specially grown tumeric harvested during the full moon by vestal virgins. It's the real thing compared to the tumeric you can buy by the pound at the local whole foods store.