What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 6 of 10
On 12/4/2015 8:01 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ha! I as there last week looking for some "stretchy fabric" to make a cover for the center armrest in the car (easier to make a removable cover than to have to clean the damn thing regularly!). Always amusing to try explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests: "Can I help you, sir?" "Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..." "What do you mean, stretchy?" "You know, kinda like the waist band on my underwear..." "Then you want stretch band located in aisle 397" "No, I don't want it to be narrow like that but, rather, really *wide*!" "How wide?" "Like 15 or 18 inches" (i.e., along the length of the armrest) "Oh, my!" (no doubt, she's wondering what I'm packing below the waist!) "Yeah, something that I can use to make an expanding sleeve, that I could slip over something and have it HUG it TIGHT when I let go" (now she's REALLY starting to wonder about "it" and my "waistband"!!)
On 12/4/2015 9:13 PM, Don Y wrote:

She says, "Swim suit material??"
--
Maggie

On 12/4/2015 9:51 PM, Muggles wrote:

Spandex.
On 12/4/2015 11:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

Well, sometimes people don't know what spandex is, so "swim suit" material is more descriptive to them.
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 12:21 PM, Muggles wrote:

I didn't realize spandex *was* "swim suit material"! I've always worn cut-offs... :<
On 12/5/2015 1:39 PM, Don Y wrote:

Well, it's base material is spandex, but some swim suit material can be a combination of fabrics.
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 1:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

Dunno. As I said, I tend to be more of the "functional" sort of user. And, "fashion" has never been anywhere on my list of preceivables. SWMBO complains that I need to be reminded to make sure I have *pants* on when I greet the mailman (woman) to receive a package!
("What's the big deal? If I was wearing shorts she'd just as much!")
On 12/5/2015 2:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

LOL SWMBO is giving you good advice.
Would you like her to greet the male UPS delivery man in her bra and panties?
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 1:21 PM, Muggles wrote:

How would that be any different than a bikini?
If comeone sold swimwear made to LOOK like underwear, would it be scandalous??
On 12/5/2015 2:46 PM, Don Y wrote:

Well, there isn't much difference, but at the same time why do many women not want someone peeping in their windows while they're in their underwear?

Isn't it different when it's your wife being scandalous?
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 2:14 PM, Muggles wrote:

I suspect the difference is that they *expect* some privacy in those settings -- but DON'T when on the beach!

That's a double-standard. If it's OK for my neighbor's wife to parade around in her "privates", why would it be any less/more so for anyone else??
Don Y wrote:

I just don't look(or just ignore) if I don't like some thing. I am not a neighborhood morale judge. Some people sure like to expose selves, maybe that is form of disease. I have one private habit. I always sleep naked. Best way to sleep well for me.
On 12/5/2015 2:45 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

So you would equally like/dislike a person in scanty swimwear the same as in equally scanty UNDERwear? That's the issue I don't understand -- what's the difference?

I tend to sleep fully clothed -- simply because I "collapse" when I'm too tired to stay awake! Bed, living room floor, office chair, etc. Worry about getting undressed and cleaned up when I "regain consciousness" :<
On 12/05/2015 03:17 PM, Don Y wrote:

If you look like Scott Foley, answer the door in your skivvies and the mail lady will prolly enjoy your package.
OTOH, if you look more like Humpty Dumpty, put some pants on before you open the door.
Per Muggles:

It sounds like you have some significant sewing/materials expertise.
Here's a question: I just finished sewing up the second trampoline for my little outrigger canoe/trimaran (https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/AI#6222208896384953378 ) using material from the backyard trampoline that a neighbor put out for the trash collectors.
I'll draw a perfectly straight line on this stuff, then I'll cut that perfectly-straight line, then I'll fold a hem, iron a crease into it and baste it using basting tape, then I will check again that it is perfectly straight... then I will sew it and it will come out slightly curved.
Any idea on what's going on there? I am thinking it has to be something about the way the machine's foot compresses the weave a little as it moves along and there's no way around it....
Or am I just wishing it was still straight before sewing ?
Not a huge deal... but inquiring minds want to know....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/5/2015 2:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Your line may be perfectly straight, but the grain of the fabric may not be perfectly straight. Plus, the material is used and may not be truly straight to the original grain of the fabric.

With just about any fabric that has a noticeable grain there can be some stretch to it when it's cut or sewed, and when that happens the pull will end up being partially on the bias of the grain, which by it's nature will stretch.
Make sense? :)
--
Maggie

Per Muggles:

Yes... thanks ! .... that was really bothering me... didn't know if I was losing my mind or what...
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/5/2015 9:20 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

naaa ... try sewing silk with invisible thread. haha!
--
Maggie

On 12/05/2015 09:28 PM, Muggles wrote:

Nope. My skills end with sewing buttons on with carpet thread. I do try to match things so I have two spools, one white and one black. I suppose the invisible thread needles also have invisible eyes?
On 12/5/2015 11:55 PM, rbowman wrote:

When I worked with invisible thread I thought I was going to go blind!
--
Maggie