What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

concern after 14 yrs. Some are "late bloomers" and may even be better for longevity. (I noticed you capitalized "penis"!)

Mentioning possibilities is not disbelief...in high school, in the '60's gu ys had swim class in the nude. A guy I knew had an infantile penis...he was short, with little body hair...after HS he sprouted and was normal. Nice g uy and we all thought, at least he didn't take ROTC as a way out!

Reply to
bob_villain

Or, a "Milk Shake" -- and get a glass of milk with some flavor added...

Reply to
Don Y

I suspect that if I wore the weights around my ankles that I use for static leg lifts while walking, the effect would be VERY noticeable. But, I think I would also learn to dislike the walking EVEN MORE!!

"Vertical rows"? (I've never been to a gym)

Reply to
Don Y

It claims to improve these, how? Controlling pain? Lubricating surfaces? etc.

Exactly. That's the problem with all the supplements, dietary advice, etc. Given the efficacy of placebo effect on many individuals, it's hard to NOT claim that any self-reported effects are not "in their head".

I'm not keen on loading up with all sorts of odd substances because someone

*thinks* they've noticed a correlation between its use and . Especially when encountering those substances naturally in evolutionary terms would be so unusual.

E.g., I can see how red meat -- in the quantities that we presently consume it -- can be A Bad Thing: cuz our bodies didn't have the chance to consume it thusly. Likewise, how many folks can have problems with grains: given how recently (in evolutionary terms) we've accepted it into our diet.

We (eventually) hear of all these side-effects of Rx drugs. But, rarely hear reports of side-effects of these "uncontrolled" substances (that doesn't mean that there AREN'T any).

So, I try to invest my efforts in doing what *should* be natural (for a human organism). And, accept the concept that entropy is an unforgiving bitch! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Is that the same as taking Glucosamine/Condroitin?

Reply to
Muggles

My first bone density test put me well above normal for bone strength. My second one was similarly well above normal, but just a little less than the previous test.

Are you a Dr. or nutritionist? You seem to know a lot about this sort of stuff.

Reply to
Muggles

Briskly vacuuming a carpet raises the pulse.

Reply to
Muggles

As does "having relations" -- at least if you're doing it RIGHT!! ;-)

(Perhaps moreso if you're doing it WRONG?? :< )

Reply to
Don Y

Per Don Y:

Looooong time ago I got the bright idea of running with leg weights.

To make a long story short, I messed up both knees by stretching he ligaments that hold them together.

Months later I was at the Penn Relays having a casual conversation with a track coach. Wish I had that conversation a year earlier because one of the things he said was that nobody should ever, under any circumstances wear weights below the knee.

The rationale being that when you run (or walk ?) the muscles relax on the recovery part of the stride and whatever weight there is below the knee is trying to stretch those knee ligaments. More weight = more stress....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Yikes! So, the reason it is OK to use them for "leg lifts" is because the leg muscles remain in tension at all times during the exercise? As contrasted with running/walking where the "unloaded" leg is essentially at rest?

Good point! So, if I want a "non-mechanically-assisted" way to increase the caloric expenditure while walking, I need to do so by adding (silly) exaggerated arm motions or *carrying* something (on my back as in my hands would alter my gait)?

Reply to
Don Y

Whatever works!

Reply to
Muggles

ahhh good thing I haven't tried that, then.

Reply to
Muggles

Apparently upright row is the preferred term. Not much to it and I seldom have more than 50 lbs total, including the bar.

Reply to
rbowman

Find a hill. I'm lucky to live in a valley so every way you go is up. Even on a treadmill 3.5 mph on a 10% incline is a whole different animal that 3.5 mph on 0%. A Stairmaster can be even more intense since you're lifting you body weight on every step.

Have you ever considered a treadmill? You can often find good bargains about the third week in January when the resolutions get unresolved. I'm not that fond of them and prefer to be out hiking but it sounds like you approach walking as an unpleasant chore. A treadmill allows you to watch videos, read a book, or whatever without worrying about getting run over or assaulted by someone's labradoodle.

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, OK. Now I understand the reference to "row" -- similar motion to rowing *seated* in a boat. The weights playing the roll of the resistance of the water against the oars.

I've never considered the need for "equipment" to "get exercise". Walk the neighborhood, fell a tree, dig a trench, etc. I.e., find a way of using an activity in which you would otherwise have to be engaged and use that for the "calorie dump".

E.g., if I have to drop something in the mail, I'll walk the 2.5+ miles (maybe closer to 3?) to the post office. Then, stop at one of the nearby grocers and pick up some odds and ends for the walk *back*. So, the time spent on the walk offsets the time I would have spent DRIVING for those errands (to some extent). Makes it feel less like "wasted time, exercising" and more like "an unfortunate set of chores"

Reply to
Don Y

I don't have much experience in that area. What does raise my puls is when I get too close to my boots and it sucks in a bootlace which wraps around the spinning thingie which stops which causes the little belt to get very hot and smell bad.

I've got a couple of spare belts hanging on the handle since the replacements are found at Bob's Sew and Vac.

As you can tell from the website, I'm way out of my comfort zone there so I stock up. It's like going to Jo-Ann Fabric to find some naugahyde to redo a motorcycle saddle. women with scissors, knitting needles, and other weapons of mass destruction make me nervous.

Reply to
rbowman

The neighborhood is inclined. Not a hill, per se, but the other end of the street is considerably higher in elevation than this end (i.e., the whole neighborhood is on that "slant"). We're close to a large wash (actually, a confluence of washes) so just about as low as you can get, in town.

[I should get take GPS with me on next walk and see what the elevation is at the extremes]

We've thought about it many times. Primarily for the winter months when the air is cooler (and rougher on my lungs). In Summer, I have to take walks just before bed -- e.g., just before sun-up -- as it is too damn not to take them during the daylight hours. No way in hell you'll get me OUT of bed in the early morning; late evening is still 90-ish at almost midnight so that's impractical.

In winter, I can afford to walk when I get up or just before starting to work -- noonish -- as it's warmed up enough for the cool morning air not to irritate my lungs. If I miss this narrow window, then the alternative is to use the indoor track at the park up the road. But, it's barely 1.25 miles from here and hard to rationalize DRIVING that distance (each way) just to get 4 miles under my feet. Seems more logical to WALK there and have 2.5 miles already accounted!

But, then I'm walking in the cool air, again.

Treadmill is a big thing to "walk around" every day. E.g., we have (arcade) pinball machine, video game, etc. in storage as THEY take up a lot of living space... much prefer "wasting space" on them than a piece of exercise equipment! :>

(Unhealthy) neighbors have a room devoted to exercise equipment! I think they *dust* it every few weeks...

Reply to
Don Y

I know there are little Finns so the Finns must figure what else to do with wives sooner or later.

Reply to
rbowman

Ha! I as there last week looking for some "stretchy fabric" to make a cover for the center armrest in the car (easier to make a removable cover than to have to clean the damn thing regularly!). Always amusing to try explaining what you're looking for to the sales clerks -- who are used to WOMEN coming in with very specific requests: "Can I help you, sir?" "Yeah, I'm looking for something stretchy..." "What do you mean, stretchy?" "You know, kinda like the waist band on my underwear..." "Then you want stretch band located in aisle 397" "No, I don't want it to be narrow like that but, rather, really *wide*!" "How wide?" "Like 15 or 18 inches" (i.e., along the length of the armrest) "Oh, my!" (no doubt, she's wondering what I'm packing below the waist!) "Yeah, something that I can use to make an expanding sleeve, that I could slip over something and have it HUG it TIGHT when I let go" (now she's REALLY starting to wonder about "it" and my "waistband"!!)

Reply to
Don Y

Being a senior, just 20K paces every day is good exercise. I do that every day with my dog. Climbing? I have a steep hill I almost had to go up on all 4, that gives me good exercise too. Being a low brass player all my life, my lungs are still in good shape. Altitude here is like 800 meter above sea level.

Reply to
Tony Hwang