What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 5 of 10
On 12/5/2015 6:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

I did enjoy using the treadmill at the gym more than the elliptical. I never had the balance to run on a treadmill, though.
--
Maggie

On 12/05/2015 06:40 PM, Muggles wrote:

I keep a firm grip on the handles. I recently got one of those strapless heart rate monitors that are a wristwatch where you put two fingers on the sensors. My first attempt to focus on my wrist on a treadmill came close to launching me off the back end.
I saw one website that claimed there was a correlation between several physical tests and expected longevity. One was balancing on one foot with your eyes closed. I'll be lucky to wake up tomorrow morning.
Another was the ability to go from a standing position to seated on the floor and then to rise again without using your hands. I could get down more or less gracefully but getting up was a no go. However I can't remember a time in my life when I could do so. The woman demonstrating it had her legs crossed and sort of scissored her way up but I expect she doubles as a yoga instructor. Or was sufficiently endowed that she could lean forward and get her center of gravity over her feet.
On 12/5/2015 11:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

haha I like how you put that "launching off the back end".

I've heard that one reason why women can do some balance things better than men is because a woman's center of gravity is lower in her hips, but a mans is higher in his chest, which makes it more difficult for men to balance.
--
Maggie

On 12/5/2015 12:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yeah, it's a big "commitment" -- and something that is really only *needed* when the weather is inclement (a rarity, here). People are frequently trying to give away exercise equipment (the used sporting good stores apparently have SO MUCH that they won't give anything for an item unless it's top of the line...)

We have a city park with recreation center, pool, etc. a mile up the road. I can walk the indoor track if I fail to get out during the warmer daylight hours for my exercise. Or, use their "equipment room" (which always looks incredibly boring). Or, swim laps. Or, walk the outdoor track (why would I do that instead of just walking around the less pedestrian-trafficked neighborhood?)
At $25/year it's almost sinful NOT to pay for the (indoor) access!
rbowman wrote:

Being a senior, just 20K paces every day is good exercise. I do that every day with my dog. Climbing? I have a steep hill I almost had to go up on all 4, that gives me good exercise too. Being a low brass player all my life, my lungs are still in good shape. Altitude here is like 800 meter above sea level.
Per rbowman:

I actually bought my own StairMaster ripoff a bunch of years ago.
Found it very convenient for the reasons noted above - independent of weather, able to read and/or listen to music and/or watch videos...
In fact, I became something of a StairMaster chauvinist, thinking that Real Men used StairMasters and that elliptical machines were for wimps.
Then I tried one of the monster "PreCor AMT 835" elliptical machines at the local YMCA... (http://www.precor.com/en-us/home/products/amt/amt-835-with-open-stride-adaptive-motion-trainer )
Haven't used my StairMaster since...
The things are huge and the cost a bundle, but they give me the highest heart rates for the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever used. It's almost like swimming while standing up: step height is adjustable, step length is adjustable, effort is adjustable....
Highly recommended.... just don't try the lesser models because you may come away thinking that elliptical machines are not for you.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/05/2015 06:26 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Like I said in another post, the gym had one for a while but i could never get into it. It wasn't a Precor but it was a fairly high end model that came from another gym that had folded. It did get my heart rate up but I just didn't like the motion. It's gone but the StairMaster lives on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Sentinel
That's my favorite StairMaster anyway. The view from the top beats staring at the gym rafters.
On 12/4/2015 3:58 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

ahhh good thing I haven't tried that, then.
--
Maggie

On 12/04/2015 12:10 PM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/upright-barbell-row
Apparently upright row is the preferred term. Not much to it and I seldom have more than 50 lbs total, including the bar.
On 12/4/2015 7:44 PM, rbowman wrote:

Ah, OK. Now I understand the reference to "row" -- similar motion to rowing *seated* in a boat. The weights playing the roll of the resistance of the water against the oars.
I've never considered the need for "equipment" to "get exercise". Walk the neighborhood, fell a tree, dig a trench, etc. I.e., find a way of using an activity in which you would otherwise have to be engaged and use that for the "calorie dump".
E.g., if I have to drop something in the mail, I'll walk the 2.5+ miles (maybe closer to 3?) to the post office. Then, stop at one of the nearby grocers and pick up some odds and ends for the walk *back*. So, the time spent on the walk offsets the time I would have spent DRIVING for those errands (to some extent). Makes it feel less like "wasted time, exercising" and more like "an unfortunate set of chores"
On 12/04/2015 07:56 PM, Don Y wrote:

There are a whole family of 'rows', either with free weights or various machines including the purposed rowing machine that has a sliding seat like a scull.

There are plenty of body weight exercises that don't require equipment or can be improvised using chairs, door frames, and so forth.
On 12/5/2015 12:29 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yes, this was what came to mind when you initially mentioned "vertical row"; I just couldn't imagine such a machine "standing on end"! The flaw being keeping the machine in the imagery!

Yup. Had to do PT a while back. All sorts of "machines", "special equipment". But, if you looked at what they were trying to get your body to do, it was fairly obvious that the machines were totally unnecessary.
Time to get to my baking. Looks like this weekend will be pissed away (5 batches of biscotti and a double batch of pecan sandies).
(sigh) I should know better than to try to make "plans"! :-/
On 12/4/2015 9:33 AM, rbowman wrote:

Briskly vacuuming a carpet raises the pulse.
--
Maggie

On 12/4/2015 2:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

As does "having relations" -- at least if you're doing it RIGHT!! ;-)
(Perhaps moreso if you're doing it WRONG?? :< )
On 12/4/2015 3:43 PM, Don Y wrote:

Whatever works!
--
Maggie

On 12/04/2015 02:43 PM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.eukonkanto.fi/en/Wife+carrying+for+health.html
I know there are little Finns so the Finns must figure what else to do with wives sooner or later.
On 12/4/2015 8:07 PM, rbowman wrote:

Sheesh! Competitive dwarf-tossing??
On 12/04/2015 11:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

It's dark and cold in Finland for about eight months out of the year. A few bottles of Stoli in January and you're ready to go out looking for a dwarf.
On 12/5/2015 12:40 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'd be more worried about what he'd do once he *found* one... IN THE DARK!!
:>
Ooops! There's the timer. Have to take out the loaves and let them rest... (this is where I invariably burn my hands)
On 12/04/2015 02:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

I don't have much experience in that area. What does raise my puls is when I get too close to my boots and it sucks in a bootlace which wraps around the spinning thingie which stops which causes the little belt to get very hot and smell bad.
I've got a couple of spare belts hanging on the handle since the replacements are found at Bob's Sew and Vac.
http://bobssewvac.com/
As you can tell from the website, I'm way out of my comfort zone there so I stock up. It's like going to Jo-Ann Fabric to find some naugahyde to redo a motorcycle saddle. women with scissors, knitting needles, and other weapons of mass destruction make me nervous.