What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 4 of 10
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 23:32:34 -0700, Don Y

fixed 30 years ago. Why I waited 10 years? Back then they had to dissassemble the knee to fix it. I had one of the first arthroscopic procedures in our area.
On 12/3/2015 2:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thankfully, I've not mangled anything *too* badly to need surgery -- despite my apparent disregard for my body's "care and feeding" instructions.
But, as I get older, I notice more "little things" that never used to bother me. "Ah, yes... that's the knuckle I jammed playing ball as a kid!" "Hmmm... that elbow never ached previously!" etc.
So, when I started feeling "twitches" in that knee while walking, it wasn't something I just dismissed -- as I might have when younger. Or, if it "suddenly" gives out -- for no apparent reason...
Getting old is not for the faint of heart!
On 12/3/2015 12:32 AM, Don Y wrote:

I haven't used any weights on my ankles, yet, but I was getting regular exercise before the knee started hurting.
--
Maggie

On 12/3/2015 3:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

It's not just exercise. I (rapidly) walk 4 miles/day. I.e., "exercise".
What is needed is exercise that strengthens the muscles and ligaments surrounding the knee, "holding it together".
On 12/3/2015 5:16 PM, Don Y wrote:

I don't think I walk 4 miles a day. More like half that amount with working in the back yard and around the house.
--
Maggie

On 12/3/2015 4:28 PM, Muggles wrote:

That's casual walking, not "exercise". When I'd put in "volunteer time", it was not uncommon to walk 5 or 6 miles in a day -- and never leave the building!
On 12/03/2015 04:16 PM, Don Y wrote:

5 or 6 miles up and down a mountain will do the trick even if the trail isn't too gnarly. Throw in some rocks for an additional workout and balance improvement.
I walk a mile or two at noontime but it's not that great for cardio. On level ground I have a problem getting my heart rate up above 120 bpm and to do that I have to get up close to 4 mph, which is well above my natural pace.
On 12/3/2015 8:33 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not fond of walking on cement/asphalt -- but am leary of walking on "open trail". Too easy to twist something. Given a choice, I try to walk on the "lawns"/hell strips on either side of a sidewalk. No grass here so you can get a good idea of what your feet will experience if you keep an eye on the ground in front of you. No "hidden holes" that are so common in grass lawns!

4mph is my "natural pace"; 3.8 miles in 56 minutes. But, it doesn't bring my heart rate well enough into the cardio region. The 10-15 seconds it takes me to get in the house and grab a stopwatch is enough for my pulse to return to "resting".
Asked my MD about this and he suggested jogging. WTF?! No thanks, I'd like to keep my KNEES a while longer!!
I *have* noticed that a few minutes with a SHOVEL is enough to bring me well into the cardio zone! But, that's usually *work*, not "exercise"! (how many holes can you dig in a lifetime?)
On 12/03/2015 09:38 PM, Don Y wrote:

That's my problem. If I walk fast enough for any significant cardio effect the mechanics of walking become awkward and jogging would be more efficient and natural. However, I never could run gently.

There are some motions that seem to elevate the pulse more than others. sometimes I wear a strap type HRM in the gym and I've noticed vertical rows get my heart rate up more than many other activities.
On 12/4/2015 8:33 AM, rbowman wrote:

I suspect that if I wore the weights around my ankles that I use for static leg lifts while walking, the effect would be VERY noticeable. But, I think I would also learn to dislike the walking EVEN MORE!!

"Vertical rows"? (I've never been to a gym)
Per Don Y:

Looooong time ago I got the bright idea of running with leg weights.
To make a long story short, I messed up both knees by stretching he ligaments that hold them together.
Months later I was at the Penn Relays having a casual conversation with a track coach. Wish I had that conversation a year earlier because one of the things he said was that nobody should ever, under any circumstances wear weights below the knee.
The rationale being that when you run (or walk ?) the muscles relax on the recovery part of the stride and whatever weight there is below the knee is trying to stretch those knee ligaments. More weight = more stress....
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/4/2015 2:58 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Yikes! So, the reason it is OK to use them for "leg lifts" is because the leg muscles remain in tension at all times during the exercise? As contrasted with running/walking where the "unloaded" leg is essentially at rest?

Good point! So, if I want a "non-mechanically-assisted" way to increase the caloric expenditure while walking, I need to do so by adding (silly) exaggerated arm motions or *carrying* something (on my back as in my hands would alter my gait)?
On 12/04/2015 03:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

Find a hill. I'm lucky to live in a valley so every way you go is up. Even on a treadmill 3.5 mph on a 10% incline is a whole different animal that 3.5 mph on 0%. A Stairmaster can be even more intense since you're lifting you body weight on every step.
Have you ever considered a treadmill? You can often find good bargains about the third week in January when the resolutions get unresolved. I'm not that fond of them and prefer to be out hiking but it sounds like you approach walking as an unpleasant chore. A treadmill allows you to watch videos, read a book, or whatever without worrying about getting run over or assaulted by someone's labradoodle.
On 12/4/2015 7:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

The neighborhood is inclined. Not a hill, per se, but the other end of the street is considerably higher in elevation than this end (i.e., the whole neighborhood is on that "slant"). We're close to a large wash (actually, a confluence of washes) so just about as low as you can get, in town.
[I should get take GPS with me on next walk and see what the elevation is at the extremes]

We've thought about it many times. Primarily for the winter months when the air is cooler (and rougher on my lungs). In Summer, I have to take walks just before bed -- e.g., just before sun-up -- as it is too damn not to take them during the daylight hours. No way in hell you'll get me OUT of bed in the early morning; late evening is still 90-ish at almost midnight so that's impractical.
In winter, I can afford to walk when I get up or just before starting to work -- noonish -- as it's warmed up enough for the cool morning air not to irritate my lungs. If I miss this narrow window, then the alternative is to use the indoor track at the park up the road. But, it's barely 1.25 miles from here and hard to rationalize DRIVING that distance (each way) just to get 4 miles under my feet. Seems more logical to WALK there and have 2.5 miles already accounted!
But, then I'm walking in the cool air, again.
Treadmill is a big thing to "walk around" every day. E.g., we have (arcade) pinball machine, video game, etc. in storage as THEY take up a lot of living space... much prefer "wasting space" on them than a piece of exercise equipment! :>
(Unhealthy) neighbors have a room devoted to exercise equipment! I think they *dust* it every few weeks...
Don Y wrote: ...

they have these high tech gadgets called scarfs... you wrap them around your nose/face so that you are breathing air preheated by your exhale.
if you don't like long dangly things find someone who knits and tell them you want a ring (helps to measure around your face and then from your chest to the bottom of your nose). i get a lot of laughs when i call it "the foreskin". Ma knits something almost continually and does double and quadruple threads to get "bulk" and so the ring is fairly thick. i had her do a second one slightly larger than the first one for when the winter winds get howling and we go out walking, i'll need a second layer...
songbird
On 12/5/2015 6:37 AM, songbird wrote:

<grin> Doesn't work. Remember, it's cool LOTS of (consecutive) days and I do this every day! So, lots of opportunities to try different things and hope to identify the "problem"/cause.
It's not the temperature of the air, alone -- I'm out in the wee hours of the morning many times in the winter months watching meteor showers for an hour at a time (in COLDER temperatures).
It's not the dryness of the air (see above).
Nor is it the allergens that happen to peak at that time of year (vs. the allergens that peak at other times of the year).
I suspect it is a combination of things exacerbated by the more vigorous/deep breathing that comes with prolonged exertion. I move more air through my lungs when walking than when standing (outdoors) watching the sky, etc.
I suspect the biggest issue is abusing them when younger... coupled with some illnesses that seemed to make them (lungs) more frail. E.g., I religiously get flu shots, now -- I can't afford to be "down" for months trying to clear my lungs. The same is true of "colds" -- I panic fearing a cold will "settle" in my chest... where it will stay for several months (chest Xrays, etc.)

This didn't bother me anywhere as much when I lived in Chicago, for example. Much colder (our winter LOWS are roughly the same as their winter HIGHS!). But, then again, my allergies were not as bad, there. And, I was a bit YOUNGER :>
On 12/05/2015 06:37 AM, songbird wrote:

Look what dangly things did for Isadora Duncan.
I've got a couple of shemaghs which work really well for both the cold and hot, windy conditions in the desert. Given the political climate they'll stay in the drawer.
On 12/04/2015 08:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

Some of the elliptical trainers have a smaller footprint but I never could get used to them. Apparently I'm not alone. The gym I go to is a smaller mom and pop operation with mostly free weights. If something collects dust it's out the door and the elliptical trainer didn't last very long.

That's the usual fate and one of the reasons I pay for a gym membership. I don't have to fall over it and the fact that I'm incurring an ongoing expense in the form of dues motivates me to get my money's worth. The closest I've come is buying a magnetic trainer stand for my bicycle since I already had the bike. It's pretty lonely.
On 12/5/2015 1:10 PM, rbowman wrote:

I had an elliptical for a while, but had to get rid of it because it was starting to strain both of my knees. [...]
--
Maggie

On 12/05/2015 12:22 PM, Muggles wrote:

I thought it was because I was doing it wrong. What it reminded me of the most is Nordic skiing. Except I didn't fall down in snow drifts as often.