What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 3 of 10
On 12/02/2015 08:24 AM, Don Y wrote:

NY taxes. It was only about 20 miles over to Bennington. It was a two way road. At the time the drinking age in NY was 18 and the bars stayed open until 3 AM. Vermont kids would come over, get shitfaced, and kill themselves on the way home.
My favorite was when NH built a state store on I95 right over the border from MA. Easy access, open seven days a week, and, yes, we take all major credit cards. NH doesn't have an income tax or sales tax so it has to make a buck somehow.
When I lived in MA my out of state jaunts were to Somers, CT. I worked six days a week and the stores were all closed for the sabbath in the Puritan state so if i need groceries it was off to CT or Abe's Kosher Market. Abe's was closer but he didn't have much in the way of bacon or pork chops.
On 12/2/2015 7:52 PM, rbowman wrote:

Springfield was our "late night opportunity" (to purchase packaged liquors; bars stayed open late but you couldn't buy anything at retail, incl beer, after 8PM, IIRC)

State police used to hang out just inside the border to catch folks bringing liquor into the state without appropriate "tax stamp".

UConn?
Alcohol was not sold at retail, IIRC, on Sunday. But, grocers were open (though not other retail establishments).
On 12/3/2015 4:31 PM, Don Y wrote:

Grrrr... no, that would have been Storr's?

On 12/03/2015 04:32 PM, Don Y wrote:

That's what I thought. I knew a girl from Willimantic and we went up to Storrs for some sort of party.
On 12/03/2015 04:31 PM, Don Y wrote:

Springfield MA? I lived in East Longmeadow for a while. Fortunately Gentile's Package Store was a quick romp through the backyard and across the parking lot. Or maybe unfortunately.

I'd heard that. by then I was living in Dover, NH so MA state police were the least of my worries.

I thought that was Storrs? Somers was just the closest place to E. Longmeadow. iirc it was only about 10 miles.

As I remember MA in the early '70s major grocery stores were closed on Sunday but some of the convenience stores were open. My most memorable Christmas dinner was frozen deep fried chicken from a 7-11. MA wasn't too unique in that. It took me a while to figure out you could starve to death on Christmas Day but all the restaurants were open on Easter.
Oddly the bucket of blood down the street was open so I stopped there for a little cheer. Got home, threw the frozen stuff in the oven ad forgot about it until the smoke started pouring out. Great dinner!
On 12/3/2015 8:51 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yeah (figured the MA reference was enough :> ). ObTrivia: Springfield is the most popular city name, IIRC!

Heh heh heh... "packy". Such a localized term! Soda? Or Pop? (Moxie, anyone?)

Yes, my bad. Been a few decades since I lived in that part of the world.

Yeah, amusing, eh? All those Holy Rollers... I guess they worshipped the God of Commerce!

I remember first visit to one of the *huge* liquor stores. Like a frigging supermarket! Packy's had always been little hole-in-the-walls crammed full of bottles...
On 12/03/2015 09:59 PM, Don Y wrote:

Tonic... I'd lik to see a New Hampshire native that asks for a bottle of tonic and get Schweppes quinine...
On 12/4/2015 8:35 AM, rbowman wrote:

Or, a "Milk Shake" -- and get a glass of milk with some flavor added...
On 12/2/2015 9:20 AM, Don Y wrote:

Old grey haired logger went to town, and bought a chain saw. Came back on his next trip to town, brought it back. Only used it a couple times. Doesn't work.
Store guy takes it out back, puts in some gas, and pull the rip cord.
From front of the counter: "What the hell is that noise!"
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That was good for a grin.... Thanks.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 8:04:33 AM UTC-6, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

...user together, scares the crap out of me! ☠
Per bob_villain:

When I watch the local tree-trimmers climbing up there, holding on with one hand and cutting branches with a chain saw at arm's length with the other hand, I think of the old Inuit seal/walrus hunters: true day-to-day heroes of their time.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 12/2/2015 8:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Word. They are useful but potentially very dangerous tools. Now that I'm getting older, I limit myself to smaller electric chainsaws that have less kickback. I leave the big cutting jobs for the younger folks.

Although I have a gas powered chainsaw, I use my electric one far more. They dont involve mixing gas, then draining it from the saw at the end of the job, nor pulling the rope a dozen or more times to start the saw, and all the other "hassles" involved with gas chainsaws. I like to just plug it in, and go to work. Of course when it comes to large tree trunks, then I need the larger gas powered chainsaw.
And, yea, the electric ones dont kick back nearly as much. Plus they are a lot ligher when working from a ladder.
--
Never use a chainsaw to cut a chain.....
Never use a bowsaw to cut bows when wrapping gifts....
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 16:10:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Took down a cherry tree taller than my 2 story house - all except the last 6 feet of trunk (over 2 feet across) with a 10 inch electric chainsaw on a fiberglass pole.
I was about 4 years old, when my grandpa let a extension ladder up at our dining room window. he went to get stuff to complete the job.
i was still wearing those had baby shoes and climbed the unattended ladder to look for a toy that somehow ended up in a rose bush under the dining room window..... i remember my one and only ever look in that window from the outside.
my mom found me on that ladder and screamed a lot..
i think this made me afraid of heights, although I have done roof work on my own home. and a good bit of ladder work.
I hurt my knee bad when i was 40, and at 58 am having trouble walking. and need a knee replacement.
so ladder work is kinda out of the question these days.....
On 12/2/2015 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:

Last week I sprained/strained my right knee and haven't the slightest idea of how I did it. I just woke up last Weds morning and it was sore, then it started popping, and it started hurting. My husband has been through 2 knee surgeries and I really didn't want to do that myself, so I began wrapping and icing it (initially), and then I upped my daily intake of glucosamine. I took ibuprofen, and kept wrapping it with an ace bandage, but the last couple of days the pain has almost disappeared, and it only occasionally will POP when I move it in an odd direction. I'm sure hoping it'll keep healing up on it's own.
--
Maggie

On 12/2/2015 11:05 PM, Muggles wrote:

You need to strengthen the knee -- muscles, ligaments, etc. -- so these tissues help support it.
On 12/3/2015 12:08 AM, Don Y wrote:

I've been doing some exercises since it started hurting, and it actually seems to be helping.
--
Maggie

On 12/2/2015 11:15 PM, Muggles wrote:

I have a knee that will occasionally "stop working". I've learned that simple leg lifts with a 2 pound weight on my ankle make a world of difference!
The problem is maintaining the discipline to do them all the time -- not just when it acts up (which is "too late")