What home repairs are you most Afraid of?

Page 1 of 10
What home repairs are you most Afraid of?
From reading this newsgroup and talking to people, it seems that electrical is the most feared. But there is good reason for that, since electricity can kill. I always tell people that if they are afraid of it, dont touch it, or get an education about it first.
Plumbing seems to come in second. Although plumbing is unlikely to kill anyone, it can do a lot of property damage if a pipe breaks and there is no way to shut off the flow. The bigger problem with plumbing is that the jobs regularly turn into "a can of worms". Old pipes tend to break or leak, and replacing one bad pipe often turns into replacing a lot more, ripping open walls and so on. Plumbing requires skills, proper tools, and a supply of parts on hand, or it can become a nightmare.
I'll include auto repair in this topic, and this is often a fear. Again, there are dangers involved, for example, when working under a car it must be jacked and supported properly or you can be killed. and then there is always the busted knuckles, cuts, bruises and other accidents, not to mention that one wrong move can do a lot of damage to the car. Other machines in the home, such as furnaces fall into this same category.
The other fear is anything involving heights, such as roofing. Some people are just not comfortable with ladders and heights in general. I have to admit that this is my own fear. I will work on anything electrical or do plumbing and auto repairs without fear, but I dont do well with heights.
What fears do you have regarding home repair and including auto and even small engine and other machines around the home, repairs? I think everyone has at least some fears regarding home repair....
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I am lefty, always afraid of wood working. Any thing else is fine.

Yea, power tools can be a fear for many, especially power saws. I'm glad I took all the woodworking classes available when I was in high school. I learned both skills and safety. In 45+ years of doing construction since HS, I did manage to take the flesh off the tip of a thumb once, on a table saw. That was the first and last time, and was many years ago. I also ran a pole barn metal screw into my hand once, and that hurt like hell. Since then, if I'm driving screws into metal, I spend the time making a pilot hole first. (usually just hit the screw with a hammer, then power drive it in).
Probably my most accidents over the years were stepping on f##king nails. I learned to NEVER leave boards with nails laying around. I remove the nails or bend them over. But just a few years ago, I was helping someone demolish a shed, and he left a naily board on the ground with a piece of drywall on top. I stepped there and that damn spike came thru the drywall and right into my foot. I came close to punching that guy after ripping that nail out of my foot. I had clearly told him to remove nails, or stack boards with nails in a pile. (I did not punch him, but I did not help him finish the job either, since I spent the following week staying off my painful foot and watching tv).

Just thinking about this is painful !!!!!!! *OUCH* *OUCH* *OUCH* *OUCH*
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I don't do automatic trannies . Just finished changing the oil in the Harley , looks like I need to pull the jugs and replace the base gaskets . Not that it's losing a lot of oil , but that mist attracts dirt which rubs off onto the inside of the left leg of my jeans . Hasn't been too long ago I did a near-complete rebuild on the Kohler motor in my tractor - including welding a patch into the hole the connecting rod made in the crankcase when it grenaded .
--
Snag

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 4:22:09 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

H-O-M-E repair!
bob_villain wrote:

The OP included cars and small motors . Suck it up .
--
Snag

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 9:07:25 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:

Right...but you were bragging. It's trannies you're afraid of (I'm not talking about Mormon).
On 12/01/2015 03:26 PM, bob_villain wrote:

What? You don't live in an RV?
On 12/01/2015 03:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I did a Torqueflite rebuild when I was a kid. I was stupider then. I had all the right tools, a couple of ice picks for the snap rings and so forth. There's an overrunning clutch in the rear of the tranny that you can assemble backwards. Don't ask me how I know.
Is it the base gaskets that are blowing vapor? Mine's getting a little loose and that theory about the blow by from the heads being fed into the air cleaner wasn't cutting it. I put one of those breather kits on so now the mist makes sure the underside of the frame doesn't rust.
I have know people that just put a maxipad in the air cleaner cover but that seemed a little primitive.
On 12/1/2015 5:22 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Might be considered home repair for those who live in a RV or motor home. I also don't do much with AT, except check fluid. And also replace leaky cooling lines as needed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 4:08:43 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Not afraid, but the biggest PIA is plumbing!
On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:28:49 PM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:

Agreed! Fix one leak, but make two more and adding a few ounces of traveling rust to the system
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Learning process, LOL!

Doesn't that describe life in general? rofl
--
Error: Creative signature file missing

On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 2:28:49 PM UTC-8, bob_villain wrote:

Agreed! Fix one leak, but make two more and adding a few ounces of traveling rust to the system
On 12/01/2015 03:28 PM, bob_villain wrote:

+1. I've been putting off replacing the spud gasket on the toilet. Simple job, empty the tank, take out the two screws, lift it off, put the new gasket on, and bolt it back together, right? I can think of about 35 ways that can go wrong.
On 12/1/2015 11:23 PM, rbowman wrote:

No, there are *36* -- you will discover the 36th when you finally undertake the job! :(
And, having discovered it, you will slap yourself up-side the head at how OBVIOUS it was!
On 12/2/2015 1:23 AM, rbowman wrote:

My parents used to joke about the "ten minute job" which turns into three days and calling a pro. Sounds like your gasket job, I'd say.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I quite agree with your sentiments. But what annoys me more is the petty bickering and pedantic replies from people whos only knowledge of the subject is what they picked up in the street. Often the answer given by somone who likes too see his name in print is not even safe. The total lack of understanding of US electrical systems is frightening.
Another annoyance is Self Appointed Xsperts who offfer a couple of integrated cct numbers or similar to fix the problems of people who come to groups like this from a position of not knowing anything and expecting some basic answers to their problem. :-?
--
John G Sydney.