What holds my shingles on?

Hip Roof Composition shingles. In the attic, there are a zillion nails sticking through the roof. Presume these hold on the shingles. But outside, around the perimeter, there's two feet or so of wood with no nails sticking through.
What's holding the bottom few feet of roof onto the wood?
Hip Roof Composition shingles. In the attic, there are a zillion nails sticking through the roof. Presume these hold on the shingles. But outside, around the perimeter, there's two feet or so of wood with no nails sticking through.
What's holding the bottom few feet of roof onto the wood?

Nails. Really. Trust me, they're there.

Gravity
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:05:15 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I took a second look one day. Wish now I had a photo.
Some roof shingles had expanding foam along the bottom edge. Apparently that stopped mother nature from getting under the asphalt shingles.

Probably nails. From your description, I assume your soffits have the rafter-ends exposed, like mine. They probably made sure the nails were spaced so they'd hit the rafters and not inbetween where they'd be orgly. Higher than the walls it doesn't matter because they'll never be seen.

They most likely used shorter nails so the tips wouldn't split out the bottom of the sheathing - instead of 1 1/4" they used 3/4" or so.

If your house is constructed like most you are not looking at the underside of the roof sheathing when you look up at the edges. Instead there is a soffit board and there is space between it and the roof sheathing.

Same thing as the rest of the roof. Nails. Difference may be an ice barrier common in northerly climates which would use up some of the nail length exposed in other areas.
Joe