What height is your flat screen TV?

Page 2 of 3  
On 12/16/2013 12:09 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Usenet replies, and try to convince her that she's wrong? It doesn't take a fortune teller to see this going badly for you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

most comfortable posture. That means the vertical middle of the screen should be eye level when you’re sitting comfortably when in front of a couch. They say that if you install it higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now I’m having an argument with my spouse who says it’s too low. What height is your flat screen TV and why?

No way in heck I'd do something like buy a flat screen TV. Nothing on worth watching. I spend my time with a computer and CRT, reading alt home repair. If I had a flat screen TV, I'd put the dumb thing on the curb, and hope someone took it in the next few minutes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 4:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Once you go flat, you won't go back. Nobody wants a CRT any more. Put one out for the Cancer Society pickup and they would not take it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 3:07 PM, Frank wrote:

Around here if you put an old CRT of any kind out on the curb, within 5 minutes, metal scavengers have smashed it to get the copper deflection coil. The problem is that fact that the scavengers are like bears, they make a big mess spreading debris all over the side of the street. o_O
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 9:16 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Recycling center here takes them in for $0.05/lb. Well worth it. They also take in unused paint and give the paint away...bargain, if you find what you need. I have about a ton of ceramic tile in my basement, left by the previous owner. Will call Habitat one of these days.
Speaking of TV, I missed the CNN special about Santa and race last night. Hope nobody gets too riled about Santa. I miss Anthony Bourdain; one of the best TV programs, along with How It's Made. I may hold a record for having never watched the greatest number of TV series, starting with Dallas.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/17/2013 4:43 AM, Norminn wrote:

I spent almost a month in the hospital this year and watched more TV than I have in years. I watch most things on my computer on my own schedule. To me, it's silly to live one's life around the timetable of a particular TV show. My roommate is a football freak and that's what the big screen TV is used for the most. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/17/2013 8:01 AM, The Daring Dufas wrote:

We have a DVR and watch on our terms. About the only thing we watch in real time is the 6 o'clock news. Zip through the commercials and watch an hour show in 40 minutes.
I don't watch football so no problem there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

For shows like the news or something else that is "live" when we want to watch it, we'll often turn the cable box on at the beginning of the show, press pause, and then go walk the dogs, do the dishes, fool around...errrr...I mean...stroll around, and then go back and watch it, fast forwarding through the commercials. If we time it right, we usually catch up with the end of the show just as it's ending without have watched any commercials.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/17/2013 1:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I watch TV shows all the time on one of my computers because the sites I go to for the shows stream them without commercials so the hour long shows are are only 45 minutes long. A lot of the sites have the show the next day and all the shows are available. I can watch a lot of older shows because the whole series will be on the site. A while back, I finished up watching the whole 7 years of Star Trek The Next Generation and was amused because the science fiction items they are using back when the series was produced are science fact today. If you've ever watched the shows you will see tablet computers everywhere. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/17/13 2:22 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Captain Kirk sez "Computer........................"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/17/2013 5:02 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Wrong captain. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 9:16 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Much the same, in NYS. No one including Goodwill ABVI wants CRT or old style TV. They even put up a big sign at ABVI, not accepting old televisions. But the copper scavengers love the big coil.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 06:54:57 -0500, Stormin Mormon

The scrappers are more polite here. They take the whole thing, whatever it is and break it down somewhere else. They are very diligent about getting things that have a little metal in them tho. I try to cooperate with them, segregating things I know they will take from my regular trash. As long as they stay polite about it, I respect their attempt to scratch out a living.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

We take them to recycle depot nearby along with some donation item for food bank. Any electronics stuff they take in. Once I bought a pair of 2GB SCSI HDD for 20 bucks. They sell salvaged item too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 9:16 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Best Buy will take them. I dropped off 3 when I got HD TV's. Perfectly good working TV's.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/15/2013 09:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

"Yes, Dear! How much higher would you like it, Honey?"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/15/2013 9:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ours is installed on an end table now...resisting efforts of hubby to hang it on the wall! TV programs are p--- poor, so I refuse to make TV a permanent part of the decor. I am almost to the point that I can live without it, as I rarely only watch TV...usually doing some kind of needlework at same time or reading (which means I don't really retain what I read or watch :o) If visitors can't live without TV, they are welcome to stay home....those with personal devices usually have them in hand.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 12/16/2013 6:48 AM, Norminn wrote:

You and I speak the same language. Well said.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

...snip...
I understand your point, but I question your logic.
Based on the fact that your husband wants to hang the TV on the wall, it sounds like you are not going to get rid of it anytime soon. So, since it's going to be around for a while, shouldn't you be asking yourself "Which would look better: keeping the TV on the end table or mounting it on the wall?"
I understand that once it has been mounted you are going to consider it "permanent", but isn't it just as much a permanent part of the decor sitting on the end table?
In other words, if I walked into the room with the TV today, would I say to myself "Oh, I see that the TV is in a temporary location" or would I just assume that there is where you want it?
Again, I understand that once it has been mounted on the wall your mind is going to say "Damn...now it's permanent" but isn't it just as permanent where it sits now?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
According to Straight Dope, somewhere around 30 people a year are killed by their flat screen toppling on them.
I wonder how many more are destroyed by the dog or kids knocking them over.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.