What height is your flat screen TV?

From everything I read on the internet it says to install a flat screen TV eye level when in the most comfortable posture. That means the vertical mid dle of the screen should be eye level when you?re sitting comfortably whe n in front of a couch. They say that if you install it higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now I?m having an argument with my spouse who says it?s too low. What height is your flat screen TV and why?

Reply to
recyclebinned

So raise it up, boy. How much longer do you want to remain married?

The bottom of my flatscreen is at eye level...but that's where my war department wanted it. YMMV

Reply to
Frasier Crane

Hj, Same a bit lower than eye level. I don't understand people watching one hung on the wall. Any how I don't watch TV that much. I'd rather listen to good music or read books.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Your spouse is right, even if she's wrong. Listen to her wants, fulfill them, and you'll be happy...for the most part.

The bottom of my flat screen is just below eye level when sitting in my recliner or on the couch. Looking straight ahead, I'm looking at the bottom third of the screen. There is no neck strain because we don't have to look up by lifting our heads. It's all done with the eyes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A bit higher (1/3 above), but it depends on how you're sitting. If you're in a recliner, it should be a little higher than that.

Above a fireplace? Nuts.

Pure snobbery.

Reply to
krw

Eye level for mine is about 1/3 down from the top. You should never have to look up to view.

Most recommendations are to have the middle about eye level.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If a man talks and a woman is not there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Let me guess. You're going to print off all the Usenet replies, and try to convince her that she's wrong? It doesn't take a fortune teller to see this going badly for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

to install a flat screen TV eye level when in the most comfortable posture. That means the vertical middle of the screen should be eye level when you?re sitting comfortably when in front of a couch. They say that if you install it higher than that you will strain your neck. I did exactly that and now I?m having an argument with my spouse who says it?s too low. What height is your flat screen TV and why?

No way in heck I'd do something like buy a flat screen TV. Nothing on worth watching. I spend my time with a computer and CRT, reading alt home repair. If I had a flat screen TV, I'd put the dumb thing on the curb, and hope someone took it in the next few minutes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Yes, Dear! How much higher would you like it, Honey?"

Reply to
Answer Man

Ours is installed on an end table now...resisting efforts of hubby to hang it on the wall! TV programs are p--- poor, so I refuse to make TV a permanent part of the decor. I am almost to the point that I can live without it, as I rarely only watch TV...usually doing some kind of needlework at same time or reading (which means I don't really retain what I read or watch :o) If visitors can't live without TV, they are welcome to stay home....those with personal devices usually have them in hand.

Reply to
Norminn

I wonder how people watch the monster-size TVs...you would have to be a certain distance away from them or your field of vision could not focus on the entire screen. Yuck!

Reply to
Norminn

You and I speak the same language. Well said.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you remember the old black and white TV? I remember Mom had me sit back at least six feet because of the radiation that came out of it.

Just imagine, the modern generation getting brain damage from the radiation. They won't be able to calculate change at a cash register, for example.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I watch most movies and TV shows on one of my 23" computer monitors. We have a big 55" LCD TV but with my vision problems, it's easier for me to watch videos on my computer. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

...snip...

I understand your point, but I question your logic.

Based on the fact that your husband wants to hang the TV on the wall, it sounds like you are not going to get rid of it anytime soon. So, since it's going to be around for a while, shouldn't you be asking yourself "Which would look better: keeping the TV on the end table or mounting it on the wall?"

I understand that once it has been mounted you are going to consider it "permanent", but isn't it just as much a permanent part of the decor sitting on the end table?

In other words, if I walked into the room with the TV today, would I say to myself "Oh, I see that the TV is in a temporary location" or would I just assume that there is where you want it?

Again, I understand that once it has been mounted on the wall your mind is going to say "Damn...now it's permanent" but isn't it just as permanent where it sits now?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

According to Straight Dope, somewhere around 30 people a year are killed by their flat screen toppling on them.

I wonder how many more are destroyed by the dog or kids knocking them over.

Reply to
TimR

I wasn't killed, but I did need surgery because of my flat screen.

I was getting ready to mount it on the wall and realized that needed to run out to get some toggle bolts. I didn't want to leave the TV on the floor just in case the dogs got curious, so I put one hand on the bottom and one on the top to lift it onto the couch.

It felt like an electric shock went through my arm. The tendon popped off of my elbow and rolled up into my upper arm. I had surgery the next week to reattach it to my elbow. I'm pretty active and had never had any trouble lifting things, even much heavier things, before. I guess it was just the position of my arm or just a freak thing.

I did manage, with the help of my son, to get it mounted that day even though I had limited use of one arm.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There is a lot of crap on the networks, but there is also a lot of really good stuff on History, H2, Science, etc. I find a lot of it to be informative and broadening of the mind.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Maybe that's why you have vision problem? Some thing to think about. My left eye is toast caused by injury I suffered in the service. At 73, I don't have any glass prescription. I can still read music clipped on lyre. I 've been playing low brass since my high school days, belongs to local concert band euph. section. Busy time now playing here and there to cheer up holiday spirit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang