What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?

Page 3 of 16
Bob Eager wrote:

It's certainly annoying if a neighbour knocks you up to bum a fag off you.
Owain
Bob Eager wrote:

Thats where AIDS came from.
prove it.
Yeah, I can relate to that. My given name is Randall. I lived in Spain for a while and spent a good bit of time at the British Club in Barcelona. It took @6 months for anyone to clue me in to why introducing myself saying "Hi I'm Randy" brought smiles and smirks from my new British acquaintances.
Jay Cups
John Rumm wrote:

geoff

raden wrote:

We do, whe just don't get 'British'.
prove it.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

'English', not British, was the language that your founding fathers brought to your shore. Was it the Mayflower that was one of the first ships to land and populate that land?
It was you that chose to bastardise it, by ignoring the changes that we made to it over the years. Hence we talk the same language, but do not understand each other
Dave

Oh, hell, the French, the Spaniards, and the Dutch had been here for years before the Mayflower. Except for the Dutch, they were here for nearly a century before the English settlement at Jamestown, for that matter. The English were come-latelies to North America.

I don't think we have much trouble understanding you. As for the differences in punctuation and spelling, your source of today's accepted standards is the same as ours: typesetters of the 17th and 18th centuries. We just had different typesetters. And we had Noah Webster. <g>
-- Ed Huntress
on 9/12/2007 5:42 PM Dave said the following:

Now Dave, don't get your shorts all knotted up. The main US language is still English. We both have idioms that the other does not understand. We also have a segment that is unintelligible even to us, like you and your cockney, and that rhyming thing that no one understands. Besides, you no longer talk like the Pilgrims either. And let's not mention Beowulf and the Canterbury Tales. They might as well have been written in German. When it is important, we speak the same language.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Just testing the waters :-) Just don't take me serious.
Dave

(you do know he means the brush you clean the toilet with, don't you?)

Lets see..as I recall..yall also broght slavery, small pox, syphillis and broken promises just to name a few...
And you think thats a good thing?
Well..you did give my people "scalping" for which We are forever grateful
Gunner, Native American
Gunner wrote:

Actually that was the Spanish that started all that. By the time the British arrived small pox, syphilis, and broken promises were well established. The slavery part the indigenous population had already figured out on their own.

And the Spanish put an end to that whole human sacrifice thing.
--John
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:04:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"

So it was the Spanish given smallpox infected blankets to the Indians and paying bounties on scalps?

By baptizing the lot of them, then setting them on fire.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

By the time anybody started giving "smallpox infected blankets" to the Indians the indigenous population had already been decimated. Sad fact, Native Americans, North and South, had no immunity--it spread like crazy.
As for bounties on scalps, I'm not sure what your point is. Where the Spanish arrived it wasn't scalps, it was hearts, and on a production line basis.

And how exactly are the English responsible for that?
--John
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:54:36 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Hardly so.
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Actually, syphilis went from the Americas to Europe in 1493.

True indeed. I should have said "the pox" or Frenchman's Disease, or Travelers Disease or...<G>
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

We also pioneered the abolition of it as well.

You would have got that anyway :-( It was not just our country that had it

You don't have politicians over there?

Not necessarily

It is nice to know that you are native American, but can you expand on that for an ignorant Brit please?
Dave

Oh for goodness sake you gave us Lloyd Grossman. Lets call it even.

Gunner