What happens when something is good for the corporation but bad for the country?

Page 3 of 5

But it isn't and hasn't been through many US administrations, both Dem and GOP.
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:53:06 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

Yeah, better to be with the countries that restrict the free flow of capital and where you can put it, like Cuba, North Korea, China, former USSR, etc. It's done wonders for them.

Buy stock, silly.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I own some, probably enough to retire and live reasonably comfortably in a few years, at least with Social Security. But I know a lot of people who don't have anywhere near enough to retire on, and it isn't because they don't work hard or because they waste their money. They just can't get ahead of rent and utilities and the need to eat.
One big illness and most of them are in deep shit. Sorry, it just isn't their fault, it's the way our country is run so only the wealthy get wealthier. The wealth is just more and more concentrated at the top.

I guess it depends upon what you consider wealth. It is certainly true that money make money - why shouldn't it? - but there are many 100s of 1000s of people that have started with zilch and turned it into big money. There are even more that have started the same way and have been very successful too but to a lesser degree.
It has little to do with our country - it is the same worldwide - and more to do with individual ability, perseverance, frugality, the ability to take an idea and bring it to fruition, etc. The fact is, everyone is NOT created equal.
If the money fairy descended from on high and gifted everbody with enough money to make them "wealthy", not many would still be so after 5 years. IMO, YMMV.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The wealthier get wealthier largely because of Congressional intervention. And the most ironic part is that most of what has increased the differences between the top and the bottom was put in place to STOP the increase. OOPS. If you look at the performance based pay issues, you will note that these tax things were put in place in the mid-80s (by strong bipartisan majorities, BTW) because Congress at the time actually wanted to reign in what they THEN viewed as widely outrageous executive pay. In order to fight this Evil, they effectively capped executive salary (what they are paid to actually run the company) by making nothing more than $1 million deductible. (If you look at the proxy filings for most publicly held companies, a large %age of them still top actual salaries at that point). Then, in an attempt to "align the interests of the shareholders and the executives", tax-favored performance based things such as stock options, etc. So, instead of paying someone for actually running the company, they paid them to run the books. I don't think it was coincidence that first book-cooking scandal took place within the next two years after passage. Over the long haul, all sorts of things occurred. In no apparent order of importance: 1). Executive pay rose substantially (although interestingly enough if you look at many of the indicators they rise and fall with the stock) and execs were paid orders of magnitude more than even the most captive board would have had the balls to pay them before. 2)> The concentration of wealth starts the spike around the same time. 3). The marker people like to point to, ratio between exec pay and the average on the shop floor, ballooned. After bouncing around 30X or so during the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, it took off cresting north of 300x before falling back with the stock market. So to those clamoring for Congressional action I point to the above and suggest they be damn careful what they wish for.

Explain how the corporation "screwed us over?"
Do you mean the corporation found someone willing to do the job for less but your union was unwilling to renegotiate its contract? As a result you are out of a job and another worker now has one. Is that the "screwed us over" you mean?
It's not the corporations fault. The corporation just eliminated the middle man, the union. Unfortunately, you believed the bull shit the union was spewing.
If that isn't the "screwed us over" you mean let me know.
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:29:10 -0500, Gordon Shumway

Unions came about because of poor conditions for workers. Sometimes unions go over board, but they were needed because capitalists will screw workers whenever they can. Not all of course, but most.
Should we still be working 60 hours weeks? At what point do the workers get a break? Capitalists can always find someone in some third world country to work at wages that would starve us. Are we supposed to compete with people who can work for a few dollars a day?
On 7/31/2013 2:15 PM, dgk wrote:

You need to understand economics and free trade. It is best for all as you get most efficient economical production.
Large corporations are international. They will juggle their books, all legal, to keep profit where tax is less. It annoys me that my former employer pays less federal tax than I do on my pension but it is legal and the company is in good health to keep paying that pension. Tax reform is needed but don't expect it under Obama.
Unions can be good for workers but I am totally opposed to municipal and other government unions. Who are they unionized against? The tax payers - that's who. And they get additional government support because they are also voters.

As usual we are asking exactly the wrong questions to find exactly the wrong the answer. In inflation-adjusted terms our manufacturing output is actually higher than it was in the 70s and 80s. But manufacturing jobs have gone down, largely related to automation. We have lost many more good paying jobs to the robots than the Chinese. Heck autos are now one of the most automated industries in the US>

The 40 hour work week has been the standard in this country for quite some time. I agree, I don't feel workers should be working more than forty hours a week without additional compensation. As we have seen as the full implementation of Obamacare is approaching, that 40 hour work week will be a distant memory to many that have been and will be relegated to part-time status.
Another condition that adds burdensome costs for the corporations, is our extremely high corporate tax rates. These higher tax rates hurt the corporations bottom line and can only be reduced by moving to another country. Obviously our current administration is loath to even consider lower taxes of any kind.
There is yet another condition that adds cost to corporations and that is the growing mountain of government regulations they must comply with.
If the following were to happen:
1. Reduce the size and power of the unions in the private sector. Eliminate them entirely in the public sector because there is a conflict of interest. 2. Get rid of obamacare. 3. Lower corporate tax rates. 4. Eliminate most, if not all, regulations implemented in probably the last decade or two. 5. Eliminate the desire of the idiot-in-chief wanting to spend more of our money for his political gain.
We would have full employment, everyone would be earning higher wages and everyone would be paying less taxes -- not just a lower rate.
On 7/31/2013 5:20 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

God bless the wealthy capitalists. We need all factory be like Apple Foxconn labor camp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

yes,
because we need more towns like West, Texas to implement urban renewal in one quick blast (without any notice)
because corporations need the incentive to dump their waste in rivers or the air
because we don't need safer cars
because we inspect too much food
because we should allow more farm workers to die in the fields (mostly because who gives a shit about illegals)

at least he hasn't started any wars for his political gain

The regulation of the storage and safety of ammonium nitrate had been placed in the hands of the Feds (specifically our old buddies at Homeland Security). This was no longer a state initiative.

Cars have been becoming safer for years long before the feds entered the scene. The fatalities per 100 million miles driven started falling in the 30s and has continued downward ever since.

Yeah, we haven't had hardly any problems with federally-inspected food in the last few years. (one of the reasons I get all giggly when people start worrying about the Chinese buying Smithfield)

But he certainly didn't end any either.

but it was the state/county zoning ordinances that allowed it's close proximity to all those businesses and the school

and the regulations had absolutely nothing to do with this lowering death rate?

he's doing more than Bush did, but then again Bush actually started a few

Since it started long before there were regulations, it is doubtful that they had much more than a marginal impact. Especially since we have been getting safer and safer cars LONG before anybody thought to "help".

Hardly.

Could you document that "doubt"?

I guess Afghanistan and Iraq don't count

No more than you can document that the safety is related to govermental intervention. Indeed, since the trend started long before governmental intervention, the documentation that is available certainly argues more that the intervention has less to do with it.

We are still there and just starting to talk about maybe doing a drawdown, maybe. Actually I am into giving Pres. O the benefit of the doubt on the first 18 months since that was the campaign promise. After that, it is ALL on Pres. O.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
says you are wrong

Can I get a WHOOSH? Federally inspected food has STILL been killing people. Many of these recalls are after federally inspected food has been released as good and wholesome and then started killing people.