What happens when something is good for the corporation but bad for the country?

Page 1 of 5  
So what happens when a corporation does something, like export jobs, that increases the bottom line but hurts American workers? Does that matter? That's why the stock market goes up, enriching corporate owners, but the average American does worse.
Now that the large corporations are multinational and have no loyalty at all to America, what do we do when they screw us over and over?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
dgk wrote:

You get two part time jobs maybe three and be sure to vote for the folks that made all this possible.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:04:34 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy

Mostly it's the Republicans but the Democrats are often nearly as bad. They all take the campaign contributions from the same people that send the jobs overseas. I donate maybe $500 a year to politicians that I like but it sure isn't enough to offset the folks who have real money.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you look at the actual votes (instead of the actual rhetoric) you will find most of the decsions were bipartisan.
--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That just means they are all bought off. IN the recent vote over stopping the NSA the amount of bribes (legal ones of course) given to our so called reps tracked their votes better then their political affliction did. They are ALL bought and paid for. Occasionally they will cast an unimportant vote against those who own them just to remind their owners that continued obedience requires continued payment of the bribes. The best thing that could happen to the US would be for someone to nuke DC while congress is in session.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Neve said otherwise. Just bringing up two facts. (1) Despite the other side's protestations of guilt or blame on only one side, they were also very much a part of the process that they are now rather hypocritically ranting against. (2) Those who think bipartisanship is always something good should be careful about what they wish for.
--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If American's are silly enough to let it hurt them, then they deserve it. Here's a simple solution, to ease the pain.
http://tinyurl.com/lkbnbnr
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:12:39 AM UTC-7, dgk wrote:

The first thing we can do is stop giving them tax breaks which is something politicians and especially republican ones are reluctant to do.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:27:42 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You do realize that taxes are just another cost of doing business and past on to the consumer in the form of higher prices for goods and services?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/31/2013 11:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

And that one of the prime reasons for US corporations to move overseas is that the corporate tax rate in the US is the _HIGHEST_IN_THE_INDUSTRIALIZED_ world???
Mr BO just proposed lowering it some, in fact--of course, he put a bunch of conditions on his "proposal" to ensure it's a poison pill but still he can say "I tried"...
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
B. Hussein "tried to fix the economy" by inflating the money supply. Causing rapid and prompt consumer prices to rise. But, he "did something".
. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .
On 7/31/2013 1:32 PM, dpb wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

This is simply not true. US has a tax rate on corporations from 15-39%. Take Japan for instance, theirs is 38%, there's no from this to that. China's is 25% on the income, no write-offs, and I had heard this year it went to 30% with no write offs.
I hear the statement you made all the time, on talk radio. In fact, I called one of the buffoons on the air, who repeat the same thing. Oh yah, somehow I got cut off.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:16:28 PM UTC-4, Russ N. wrote:

Global accounting firm KPMG has a table of corp tax rates by country and they say you're wrong. They should know, as they advise major companies on business strategy and taxes every day.
http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/services/tax/tax-tools-and-resources/pages/corporate-tax-rates-table.aspx
The USA is at 40%. Here are the other large world economies...
Japan 38% China 25% Germany 30% France 33% Brazil 34 UK 23 Italy 31 India 32 Canada 26 Australia 30
Also realize that what we are talking about are large multi-national corporations, making business decisions on tax rates, not the local small business that is incorporated. Hence, your pointing to a 15% rate makes no sense, because it applies to income less than $50,000. When corp income is a mere $100,000, you're at a 39% rate.
Don't believe KPMG? How about CNN:
http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/27/pf/taxes/corporate-taxes/index.htm
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- On Sunday, the United States gets a distinction no nation wants -- the world's highest corporate tax rate.
Japan, which currently has the highest rate in the world -- a 39.8% rate on business income between national and local taxes -- cuts its rate to 36.8% as of April 1. The U.S. rate stands at 39.2% when both federal and state rates are included.

Maybe because you wouldn't accept that you're wrong and have no facts to back it up?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Here we go, I see you're starting to get antsy b/4 slinging mud.
Why do you think _US_ companies are _US_ companies? Answer: Because their HQ is in the US, to take advantage of the tax rates.
You may want to click own your own link, and be sure to click the little (+).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:28:20 PM UTC-4, Russ N. wrote:

See, that's why you got kicked off the radio show when you called in. You think anyone that presents you with the actual facts is "antsy".

What does any of that have to do with your assertion that it's not true the the USA has the highest corporate tax rate of the major economies in the world? You claimed you hear it on talk radio and it's false, like it's a lie made up by conservative talk show hosts. KPMG says it's true. CNN, which is about as far away from talk radio as you can get, says it's true.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ummm, no. Those numbers are on a face value, which anyone should know that's a _fact of being _FACE VALUE_. Do you really believe a corporation is going to take those numbers as what every corporation will pay, and that is what they base building their HQ at? Really?

When I said _tax rates_, it should have been _tax breaks_. My bad, I made an error!

Wow, now all of a sudden you say it was a conservative talk show host. I knew you couldn't engage in a civil discussion, without showing your usual forte.
The US does not have the highest corporate rate. China does, it is based on b/4 write-offs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:17:02 PM UTC-4, Russ N. wrote:

As if the US is the only country that gives tax breaks and incentives to corporations? KPMG has the table and you have nothing to show that most of the countries on the list don't have similar tax deductions that lower the effective tax rate that many, but certainly not all, companies can use. And do you know what the single biggest thing is that lowers the US tax that companies pay? It's that they are allowed a credit for TAXES THEY PAY TO OTHER COUNTRIES. So, yes a company might only pay the US 20%, but that's because they are already paying 10, 15% or more to other countries. Do you libs want to take it all?
But, welcome to the discussion. You're beginning to uncover the Laffer curve. The basic premise that conservatives have been trying to get across for 30 years now is that when tax rates are high, people and businesses do everything they can to avoid paying those rates. That's why US corporations have a couple of trillion in profits overseas, where it avoids being taxed by the USA. Conservatives and even some Democrats for years have been in favor of lowering the rate. Imagine what that would do for the economy, when these corporations could bring that money home to the USA to build plants, create jobs, etc. At the same time, a lot of the corp tax breaks would be eliminated. In other words, you'd have a lower, flat tax, with less BS. It would also be fairer, because you would not have one company paying 39% effective rate and another paying 10%. It would eliminate economic inefficiencies, where companies do things to avoid high marginal tax rates, instead of doing things for economic reasons.
Even Obama has finally woken up and now endorses the idea. Of course, as usual, he only likes the above idea if it's tied to more govt spending, so it's going nowhere.

Sigh. Where a company is headquartered doesn't determine if they can avoid taxes. Following that logic, a company could just declare a country with 0 corp taxes as it's headquarters and avoid taxes all together. It doesn'twork that way. Read the above section again. Companies in the USA are paying taxes at effective rates as high as the full 39%.

What? Now you're claiming that when you said the US didn't have one of the highest tax rates in the world, that you meant the Us doesn't have the highest tax breaks? Good grief!

See, that's what's funny about you libs. It doesn't take much for you to scream "you're being uncivil, you're being mean!" What exactly is uncivil about my assuming that the talk show you called in to disagree with about US corp tax rates was a conservative one? It's a very reasonable assumption. I've only heard that discussion on conservative talk shows. The fact that you don't just say what show it was, tells us that I'm right.

Sure, and who should we believe? You with your flapping gums or KPMG who actually does accounting for and files taxes for multi-national companies? And even if it were true, that alone should tell you how wrong you are. Do you think saying, the US rates aren't so bad, China, a communist country that tramples on citizens, denies them basic human rights, has people working in factories for $20 a month, has higher rates is an effective strategy? Good grief!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Corporations don't pay taxes. They pass it along to the consumer as part of the cost of goods sold. Most consumers are dumb and don't realize that but cheer our lawmakers when they say, "I'm not going to tax you, I'm going to tax businesses"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 8/1/2013 4:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's all part of that vexing problem which plagues The United States known as "The Dumbassification of America". O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That is not entirely true. To the extent that there is some flexibility in their part of the supply/demand curve they pass it along. Otherwise it comes from the shareholders (higher taxes, lower profits, lower share price and/or lower dividend), or the workers (lower wages, fewer employed). Never have understood why the unions let the Dems get away with that.
--
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late
to work within the system, but too early to shoot
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.