What happens when an attic exhaust fan fails?

Hi,

About 20 years ago I installed a tstat-controlled attic exhaust fan suitable for a small-medium size attic.

Years later it caused tv/radio interference in the house, so I built a frame for it and put it in a window in my detached 2-car garage to improve air circ. in very hot weather.

Now it's making horrible, horrible sounds. I've oiled the motor twice: doesn't help.

I once ran a box fan 'till the wheels came off. Got a nasty looking spark when it shorted out.

What are the chances of the failing exhaust fan starting a fire in my garage?

Thx, Peetie

Reply to
Peetie Wheatstraw

My roof fan failed and it just stopped working. My neighbors failed and it set fire to his roof. This was about 1 am and if it were not for our neighbor across the street coming home late and seeing the flames, who knows. When I got new roof shingles, I put in passive ventilation. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Mine failed and I unplugged it, but there is little chance of it starting a fire as it is well away from any combustible material.

The wiring is another matter, so I will have my new one on a surge protector with a circuit breaker.

Reply to
ValveJob

Surge protectors protect electronics from spikes, but is there any spike so big it can cause fires in a motor?

Reply to
mm

Yep.

Reply to
ValveJob

It is exactly this risk of fire that the only active attic vent I would consider is one of those little self-contained solar powered units. That and the wired ones suck a lot of juice, possibly more than you'd save on your A/C bill.

Reply to
tylernt

The motor should not be creating EMI. If was creating radio interference typically because it was failing. Maybe something as simple as worn brushes. Maybe arcing on a loose wire. Or maybe a hall effective sensor was not properly positioned.

No one can say if it is a fire hazard. But EMI was a precursor to fan failure.

Only person who can answer the OP's question with authority is one who opens that fan or who obtains a detailed autopsy report of that fan. Most would simply replace the defecive motor.

Reply to
w_tom

It might've been 8-10 years w/o EMI. Then about 10 yrs in the garage after the EMI started.

Methinks you are correct, kind sir. I turned the fan off yesterday.

I would if practical and cost-effective, as I need the garage air circ. and the window frame unit is built and functional. If I were able to find a bolt-up motor replacement at maybe Grainger, it'd likely cost twice the price of a new exhaust fan from a bigbox store?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Isn't it called a necropsy when it's a fan? :)

Reply to
mm

Just out of curiosity, are you asking because you WANT to start a fire in your garage. If so, keep it running until something happens, If not, then a very, very small risk isn't work the possibility of it happening.

Reply to
Pat