What happens now to the election due to Hurricane Sandy?

Page 1 of 3
Okay, there are an estimated 6-10 million people without power in the Atlantic coastal United States. This power outage could easily last past November 6 in many areas, which of course is election day.
With public transportation disrupted or non-existent, or no power at the polling places - what will happen if millions can not vote because of the storm's effects?
Five "swing states" are heavily affected by the storm. They include:
MAINE NEW HAMPSHIRE NORTH CAROLINA OHIO PENNSYLVANIA VIRGINIA
If these people are unable to vote due to flooding, power outages, lack of transportation, etc... what "backup plan" is there, if any? If the election were to be postponed, it would only seem fair to postpone it for *every* state and territory. It wouldn't be right if 16/50 states had to wait while the rest of the country votes on Nov. 6th.
Does anyone know if there is a law that provides for postponement in the event of a natural disaster?
(Best viewed with at least 72 chars. width)
"States Affected by Sandy"    "Swing States"    "Affected Swingers"
CONNECTICUT        Arizona        MAINE DELAWARE        Colorado        NEW HAMPSHIRE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA    Florida        NORTH CAROLINA MAINE            Iowa        OHIO MARYLAND        Main        PENNSYLVANIA MASSACHUSETTS        Michigan        VIRGINIA NEW HAMPSHIRE        Minnesota NEW JERSEY        Nevada NEW YORK        New Hampshire NORTH CAROLINA        New Mexico OHIO            North Carolina PENNSYLVANIA        Ohio RHODE ISLAND        Pennsylvania SOUTH CAROLINA        Virginia VIRGINIA            Wisconsin WEST VIRGINIA
On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:54:06 -0500, G. Morgan

Per CNN, it is determined by state.
Doug wrote:

In general, true, BUT election for federal office was established by Congress as the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Individual states may tinker at the margins, such as hours of operation, early voting, etc., but a state can't actually CHANGE the official election date.
Come to think on it, though, if a state has, so far, unfettered ability to massage "early" or "absentee" voting, it seems possible that a state could set up "late" voting under the same logic.

But Congress could since the only thing in the Constitution is that Congress will set things up (the unstated part being whenever they damn well decided they wanted to). However, getting Congress together to pass anything in the timeframe is sorta iffy. 2 USC 7 - Time of election states the first Tuesday after the first Monday.

Not really. The first Tuesday, etc., is the day of ELECTION under 2 USC. That has to be day they are counted. When the VOTING takes place is open as long as done by then.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Good point. Thanks.

THat could be exactly true, because several states, maybe most or all, don't promise to count absentee votes until about a week later.

After checking the Seattle Times and another source, I concur with some other posters. The Presidential election day can not change unless by Congress, not by the state. As to early voting or absentee voting, no idea but guessing the state.

Per a story on NPR, at least one state allows extending the voting a day or two but there are very special conditions that probably can't be met. Like voter participation must be less than 25% of some sort of test of normal.

Title 3 USC 2 (the federal law) says " Whenever any State has held an election for the purpose of choosing electors, and has failed to make a choice on the day prescribed by law, the electors may be appointed on a subsequent day in such a manner as the legislature of such State may direct. "
The day prescribed by law is the tuesday after the first monday in November.
So it does go back to the state to decide if they don't have an answer by midnight on election night.
Think Florida 2000. The absolute deadline is the first Monday after the second Wednesday in December when the electors have to meet and cast the real vote. 3 USC 7 That was the hard deadline Florida was up against in 2000.
The final tally is reported in congress Jan 6
Steve B wrote:

Interesting thought: What if the vote turnout in NYC is significantly reduced, but the vote in upstate New York is only minimally affected? Could Mitt Romney carry New York state?
Nah, probably not.

Wishful thinking [for you<g>] but not likely. The latest 3 polls averaged show Obama with a 61 to 34% lead in NY.
BTW- though NY is a deep blue state, and much of that blueness comes from cities, Much of the Staten Island, Long Island and East side of Manhattan destruction was in reddish areas. [The city hasn't had a democrat mayor in almost 20 years.]
Jim

OK-- So I'm in Upstate NY- [in a purple 'burb in a red county] and the *next* commercial after I posted that was the first one I've seen regarding the presidential election. [eat your heart out all you folks in contested states].
It was by Restore our future- and never mentioned who they were for, but by their twisted logic and condemnation of our current President, I'm guessing they like Romney.<g>
And before I finished this post they ran another one.
So either they have a bucket of money they are dumping on their brother-in-law's account; or they think they might get someone to pull the 'all R' lever-- or they think they have a shot in NY.
I think they're nuts.
Jim
Lisa BB. wrote:

Sure you do. Why just this week a popular article hit the web, giving guidance to females on the practice of having sex on the first date.
--Full disclosure: I remember a time when few women would even KISS on a first date--
Anyway, there are four pretty good reasons how you can rationalize sex on the first date:
1. You're horney and it's evident you'll never see this fellow again; he's completely unacceptable as a future mate. Go ahead an use him. He won't cry himself to sleep or even mind.
2. You've know the chap for a long time, there's a spark there, but you've never really been on a date-date.
3. You're on vacation in an exotic land or on a cruise and want to make it memorable.
I forget the fourth...
--
Good God you are as dumb as the multi breed fuckwit you voted
for in 2008.

No matter what happens, no matter who wins, the opposing party will probably contest it and take it to the courts. Should be fun to watch.

I can't see them contesting the timing. Other than that, I am sure there will be fun. My hope is that Congress DOESN'T change the timing. I am not sure I can get through another week of wall-to-wall Super Pac ads without cutting my wrists.
G. Morgan formulated on Tuesday :

I'm sure we'll be okay (NH) by the time voting day comes. I'm wondering if this is the first time those blowhards have been upstaged like this though.
[...]
G. Morgan wrote:

I heard some where that many people in those states voted early in preparation for the storm.
--
Jenn

Were they living people?
I heard some where that many people in those states voted early in preparation for the storm.
--
Jenn

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 16:48:02 -0500, "Jenn"

Indeed. And multiple times to make up for the voters who couldnt make it next week.
Gunner
-- "